2005 SVT Cobra... if there was one (discussion)

kystang1889 said:
not a fan takes away from real cobra owners

Interesting yet rather peculiar perspective, which begs the question...
Would you be of the same opinion, if this was a product of the SVT group instead?

Seeing that it likely provides all the performance attributes of any "real Cobra" and perhaps then some....it's somewhat hard to understand your rather negative posistion.

For the numerous potential and current '05 owners that have expressed interest in ducktail spoilers, stripe packages, painted mirrors, and a less radical visual package overall than those offered by Roush, Saleen and others on the '05... this car would appear right on target and offering equal or better performance.

Removing/deleting or modifying the stripe package to suit one's own taste (for the ever present "Pinto-stang" haters here and there) would be easy enough to do. And it seems that many '05 owners already individualize their cars in his very manner with this popular visual modification. So, unless you really are that offended by a (II) hood scoop and the modern yet retro '70s style version of a front spoiler.... what's not to like?

• Sponsors (?)

having owned a 76 mach1 w/ 302 as a first mustang, i appreciate seeing a nice restored ll if for nothing but nostalgic reasons. however, the ll styling, in my opinion has no place on a 2005 model. the monsterous side stripes and 76 hood scoop would have to go. i like the shelby style stripes. cobra stickers? no way! put chrome badges on it. the cheap sticker job was fords feeble attempt to make the mustang ll appear as a performance car. but at 134hp from a 302? come on! ok off the soapbox! love the car without the cobra ll styling.

silverbullit_gt said:
having owned a 76 mach1 w/ 302 as a first mustang, i appreciate seeing a nice restored ll if for nothing but nostalgic reasons. however, the ll styling, in my opinion has no place on a 2005 model. the monsterous side stripes and 76 hood scoop would have to go. i like the shelby style stripes. cobra stickers? no way! put chrome badges on it. the cheap sticker job was fords feeble attempt to make the mustang ll appear as a performance car. but at 134hp from a 302? come on! ok off the soapbox! love the car without the cobra ll styling.

I will admit, that I've never been a fan of lettering within the side stripes either, even on the Cobra II's. However, side stripes without letters are fine with me....on a II as well as this and most other Mustangs that have them. Similarily, I would rather see plain GT type door stipes on the '05's (if using any), as opposed to the one's currently on the V6's displaying the name "Mustang."

That aside, compared to styling modifications I've seen done to a lot of '05', I'd be hard pressed to find fault with this, simply over the use of the II hood scoop here and some vinyl letters on the trunk lid instead of a real or simulated chrome badge. The scoop is about as subtle as there is....as is the rest of the package really, which isn't cluttered with additional side scoops and quarter or rear window louvers etc. I think it's use is an excellent styling choice in this case.

Furthermore, the car basically retains a traditional and retro "American" look....rather than suffering from a look associated with typical "ricer" type modifications (already appearing on many '05's), which are totally out of character to it's design. The add on body pieces used here flow together very well with the body too, without detracting from the basic styling.

It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but what car is? After all, there are people that don't think any kind of retro styling looks good on new cars. Ford will get a lot of mileage in the next few years, offering remakes of the Mach 1's, Boss's, and even California Specials from this current retro body style...which all draw on the use of styling cues of many earlier Mustang models.
This one certainly does justice to the mid 70's II's, which were actually the first "retro" type 'stangs in themselves. Perhaps Ford wouldn't have stuck their neck out this far again, but I'm glad Sal did nonetheless. :flag:

I think it looks sweet, but using the old 4.6 4v SC with like 425-450 would place this model between the GT and the GT-500. If it could ber had cheaper than a GT-500 I think it would be an excelent in-between car as there is quite a price jump between GT and GT-500.

i think to top off the cobra styling/badges he shouldve had the cobra on the back "gas cap" looking thing. For now it says GT and i know svt wouldnt let that one by with such an easy way to throw the styling back to the classic stangs.

98GTBlk said:
i think to top off the cobra styling/badges he shouldve had the cobra on the back "gas cap" looking thing. For now it says GT and i know svt wouldnt let that one by with such an easy way to throw the styling back to the classic stangs.

98GT, I agree with you 100%, and that part has been bugging me for a while. I have been trying to get someone to make us some overlays for both the gas cap and steering wheel logos. It's in the works.

I like what PSP did with the car. I went to their web site to try and find out more about the mods done to this car, but there wasn't any info there. I'm surprised they aren't offering a kit of part that would convert an 05 GT to this "Cobra". I'm sure this kit would be flying off the shelves if they did. Maybe Ford or SVT won't allow them to for some reason.

I think you've missed his point entirely.

I actually like the look of the car. Not a big fan of white wheels, but hey, small criticism.

However, to speak to the real point, when someone purchases a car produced by SVT, you not only purchase a car that has increased performance. You are buying exclusivity: lower production numbers and limited options not available with other factory Ford vehicles.

Your discussion of Rouch and Saleen is interesting...they never market their vehicles as Cobra's or SVT. They stand on thier own, and people respect that.

Building up a really cool car is a great thing, sticking Cobra and SVT badges all over it is lame. This car would have been special without the fake snake treatment.

Just my opinion.

LXXVICOBRA said:
Interesting yet rather peculiar perspective, which begs the question...
Would you be of the same opinion, if this was a product of the SVT group instead?

Seeing that it likely provides all the performance attributes of any "real Cobra" and perhaps then some....it's somewhat hard to understand your rather negative posistion.

For the numerous potential and current '05 owners that have expressed interest in ducktail spoilers, stripe packages, painted mirrors, and a less radical visual package overall than those offered by Roush, Saleen and others on the '05... this car would appear right on target and offering equal or better performance.

Removing/deleting or modifying the stripe package to suit one's own taste (for the ever present "Pinto-stang" haters here and there) would be easy enough to do. And it seems that many '05 owners already individualize their cars in his very manner with this popular visual modification. So, unless you really are that offended by a (II) hood scoop and the modern yet retro '70s style version of a front spoiler.... what's not to like?

tschlientz said:
I think you've missed his point entirely.

I actually like the look of the car. Not a big fan of white wheels, but hey, small criticism.

However, to speak to the real point, when someone purchases a car produced by SVT, you not only purchase a car that has increased performance. You are buying exclusivity: lower production numbers and limited options not available with other factory Ford vehicles.

Your discussion of Rouch and Saleen is interesting...they never market their vehicles as Cobra's or SVT. They stand on thier own, and people respect that.

Building up a really cool car is a great thing, sticking Cobra and SVT badges all over it is lame. This car would have been special without the fake snake treatment.

Just my opinion.

Your opinion about what the "real point" is, is of course, your opinion. As is the fact, you believe that I "missed the point". That's OK, it's certainly possible you could be right on both counts. But, since you aren't the poster I responded to, we can't be sure you haven't missed it as well...can we? I understand there may be another side to this matter that might have some merit, but, the "real point" of the thread was to get response of what others think of the package...not with their personal issues about possible infringement of the Cobra name or their thoughts about what Mustangs are worthy to wear Shelby style stripes or not in the first place.

As I saw it....the poster's point that I responded to, indicates that he doesn't like it, and claims or implies the package somehow devalues (or possibly insults) those that own factory Mustang Cobras. I fail to see how it does either. Not being part of any previous generation Cobra run, it cannot possibly take away from their limited production exclusitivity and legitimacy. If earlier owners are that paraniod about aftermarket packages that may "clone" something about their exclusive ride, they must be very insecure with what they really have, by worrying that it might affect their image or the value of their own cars.

As for the use of SVT parts...
Since they are (to my knowledge) over the counter items, why should their (aftermarket) use be viewed any differently than those of other manufacturers? Your implication is that only SVT vehicles should be allowed to use them. Many of the parts used by Roush and others in their versions of Mustangs are not produced by them either, so what's the difference as long as they are in fact what they actually claim to be?

Question: Would you still feel against the release of such a product, if it were only offered for sale as an aftermarket bolt on and stripe package to be installed by the owner? How about if it came without emblems and non-lettered striping?

What I stated about comparison to Roush and Saleen packages, was simply that their versions more radicaly alter the cars outward physical appearance...something that many enthusiasts have indicated they don't especially care for. I think that is (in part) what gives the Powersurge package so much appeal by comparison.

It would seem, that you and some others "missed the point" of the the builder's intent to produce a version of the '05 Mustang that gave tribute to some previous Mustangs that bore a smilar resemblance ....much in the manner many current '05 owners do in their attempts to add a "Shelby Cobra" look of a different era to their own cars.

The article does not state that this car or package as it stands is for sale at this time or will be in the future. And clearly, the use of any "Cobra" and "SVT" badging (on certain parts) you are complaining about, could probably be deleted from any final version that might be released at later date, and it probably would not detract from it's overall appeal. No doubt that Ford would have a say in whether or not the package could go to market as is, in regard to any part of the package they felt infringed on their trademarks etc.

I asked a (very) simple question of the other poster, to which I got no reply. He hasn't answered, nor clarified his initial comment so everyone knows exactly what he meant. At least you have indicated that you like the package in itself, while explaining your reasoning against it in principle. I do respect your post and opinion for that.
I suspect the other poster is just adverse to the builders whole concept for other reasons, and didn't want to admit he might have to accept it as a legitimate and improved version on a previous SVT Cobra, had this car actually been authorized and/or released by them. :shrug: