2006 or 07Shelby Mustang Vs 06 Svt Mustang

• Sponsors (?)

jadesville said:
That was a mule, and that was a test engine.

The TV show "Rides" was not accurate on the V10 story.

How the 351 V10 came about was that there was a group of engineers inside Ford who thought they could come up with a better performance engine that what Ford presently had. They did not like the SVT S/C V8 engines and were upset that the Ford GT looked like it was going to get a S/C 5.4. So on their own time, they built that 351 V10 engine. It was a total bootleg project within Ford.

A 351 V10, is just a 4.6L V8 with 2 more cylinders. The bore and the stoke are the same. They put it in the Mustang to demonstrate the V10's potential. They got the attention of Ford upper execs, including Bill Ford who reportedly drove the V10 Mustang himself. This resulted in some re-assesment of what engine to use in the Ford GT, but in the end they stayed with the S/C 5.4 V8. However, the low deck V10 showed such potential, that Bill Ford gave the order to find someplace to use that V10. The next place a V10 showed up was the 427 concept. Then, as we all know the Shelby Cobra Roadster concept got a V10.

And now you have the real story. :nice:

351CJ said:
The TV show "Rides" was not accurate on the V10 story.

How the 351 V10 came about was that there was a group of engineers inside Ford who thought they could come up with a better performance engine that what Ford presently had. They did not like the SVT S/C V8 engines and were upset that the Ford GT looked like it was going to get a S/C 5.4. So on their own time, they built that 351 V10 engine. It was a total bootleg project within Ford.

A 351 V10, is just a 4.6L V8 with 2 more cylinders. The bore and the stoke are the same. They put it in the Mustang to demonstrate the V10's potential. They got the attention of Ford upper execs, including Bill Ford who reportedly drove the V10 Mustang himself. This resulted in some re-assesment of what engine to use in the Ford GT, but in the end they stayed with the S/C 5.4 V8. However, the low deck V10 showed such potential, that Bill Ford gave the order to find someplace to use that V10. The next place a V10 showed up was the 427 concept. Then, as we all know the Shelby Cobra Roadster concept got a V10.

And now you have the real story. :nice:

I havent seen the episode on rides :shrug:

Remeber, these are MUSTANGS!

Sorry to rain on everybody's parade, but these are Mustangs. AFFORDABLE performance, remember? You are not likely to see any "exotic" engines in either the SVT or Shelby.

My guess is that the SVT car will be another blown 4.6L, maybe with a tarted-up intake & heads. I expect 425hp to be the rating.

The Shelby is a BIG questionmark. Maybe 5.4L motor, naturally aspirated, around 400-450hp.

The problem with the Shelby is the name. Just tacking Carroll's name on the car will add a few grand. Then if you want to add some styling cues, a nicer motor, etc. it gets expensive fast. Ford doesn't want to sell 1,000 Shelbys for $55,000. They'd much rather sell 10,000 for $35,000.

Very limited editions don't make much money; they are more advertising for a model. But a large production edition like the Mach I makes good money, so that's where Ford will aim.

Just IMO, of course.

tylers65 said:
Are you sure about that?

I seem to remember a V-10 Mustang in the not-to-distant past.

something about a Boss 351 :shrug:

There was a car called the Boss 351. It was a 99 Mustang body that Ford put a 351 cid V-10 into as sort of a '"what if...?" project. I think they got it into the mid 11's with slicks. Doubt it will ever see production. It was is an old issue of Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords.

FiaCobra said:
Mr Mordan, i hope your assessment on pricing is correct. There's no way i can justify spending 50+k on a 'stang. I'll take a 35k hit though to park one in my garage.

I think it will be close. I suspect it will retail around the same price as the SVT stuff, $35K - $40K tops.