2007 Mustang GT gears

Dreadnaught

Aug 5, 2006
Evening everyone. After searching the forums and not finding *exactly* what I was looking for, decided to post the question. I'm pretty sure the standard gears on the 2007 Mustang GT is 3:55:1, with a $100 optional 3:55 slip ratio - what exactly does that mean? Is the higher the ratio the better, or is it relative to 1/4 mile speed vs. top end speed? I've also tried to google what the gear ratio function is, but I am still unclear exactly what it means.

I've also gathered that a 4:10 ratio is good on manual Mustang GTs - any idea on the pricing of that and if the dealership will do it?

I Appreciate the future enlightenment!

• Sponsors (?)

Numerically higher gears are called "shorter" gears and numerically smaller gears are called "taller" gears. Shorter gears like 4.10, and 4.56 give quicker off the line acceleration but hurt you a little in top end, and your engine will run a at higher RPM at speed. Taller gears like 3.27, 3.31 are used for high speed acceleration (highway gears) and typically used to get more gas mileage out of a car, but you lose a little in off the line acceleration. The ratio is simple to understand. For example: 3.55 gears means for every 3.55 rotations of your driveshaft your wheels rotate once. This explains why your run at a higher RPM at speed with shorter gears and why you get more acceleration. Think of it like a bicycle. In first gear you can accelerated very quickly, but you get to a point where you're pedaling your ass off and not going anywhere (that's shorter gears). Now, think of trying to start pedaling in 8th gear. You wont go anywhere soon, but once you get up to speed, you can take off (taller gears). Get it? Since most Mustang drivers are about 1/4 mile, short gears are the way to go. We might lose more highway races (100mph+), but we murder them off the line! :nice:

05MGT that is a PERFECT defintion - understand it completely. I agree with you, I'm about 1/4 mile speed - so I'll definitly make sure to get the 3:55:1 slip ratio, optimally I'd like to get 4:10. I'm sure I can dig up how much they cost or how much MPG i'll lose somewhere in these forums (but if you know don't hesitate to save me time and post it:D )

Dreadnaught said:
05MGT that is a PERFECT defintion - understand it completely. I agree with you, I'm about 1/4 mile speed - so I'll definitly make sure to get the 3:55:1 slip ratio, optimally I'd like to get 4:10. I'm sure I can dig up how much they cost or how much MPG i'll lose somewhere in these forums (but if you know don't hesitate to save me time and post it:D )

Your welcome! :SNSign: