2008 bringing us the Boss & the Bullitt

• Sponsors (?)

I really want a new Boss! But limited production = ridiculous markups. C'mon Ford, afraid you can't sell 10,000 or more? What's the real reason for announcing limited production? Is this just a ploy to gauge interest?

i would love to have a boss but the greedy dealerships are going to ruin this just like they did the gt500.with only 1000 units planned i hate to think of the markup they are going to place on these.what will be interesting is to see if they are going to try and rape us on the gt500, the boss, amd the bullitt next year and i am sure i already know the answer to that.

There was some debate a while back about what a 400 hp Boss or Mach 1 would be like in the market, and many felt it would cut into the sales of the GT500 because of its potential performance. I think this might be a sign they were right.

Consider the performance offering of a "stripped down" Mustang (perhaps 3300-3400lbs) making 400+ HP N/A, that will probably come with an upgraded race suspension to mimic the purpose of the original Boss 302; you just MAY end up with a Mustang that out performs the GT500 stock versus stock on the road course and maybe even in a straight line.

So maybe that is why they are limiting the production to so few. So they can easily sell the projected 1000 models for a good profit, and not hurt the sales of the GT500.

This is only speculation of course, but I think it is a pretty reasonable idea.

I really hope that this isn't true. If they limit the production then its only going to jack the price up at the dealership. Why cant they give us a reasonable option over the base V8 GT's. Dodge did it with the Charger as you could get the Daytona Edition without the ridiculous price increase i think it was only 2K more on the MSRP. From that article if the Boss gets the 5.0 then its going to be limited and expensive. I'd rather the 5.4 N/a and a reasonable price with all the BOSS cosmetics. I'm not feeling good about whats coming up, but they do look good.

I really hope that this isn't true. If they limit the production then its only going to jack the price up at the dealership. Why cant they give us a reasonable option over the base V8 GT's. Dodge did it with the Charger as you could get the Daytona Edition without the ridiculous price increase i think it was only 2K more on the MSRP. From that article if the Boss gets the 5.0 then its going to be limited and expensive. I'd rather the 5.4 N/a and a reasonable price with all the BOSS cosmetics. I'm not feeling good about whats coming up, but they do look good.

I have to disagree with your stance. IMHO there would be nothing worse than to create an appearance packge and give it the Boss name. There are plenty of other names you can go with for a dress up package, such as what Ford did this year with the California Special. Keep the Boss name meaning something special is under the hood and in the suspension. But please build more than 1000 of them :nice:

Well the Bullitt was mentioned by Ford Execs during a "way ahead" presentation, but nothing about a Boss was mentioned, except that they would release other special editions each year following the Bullitt

So it might be Bullitt in 2007, and a Boss in 2008. Also, the last time I heard, the Hurricane engine isn't even close to being ready to mass produce

Why spend more on the mark-up? My 06 GT VERT is quicker and as powerful as a stock GT500. And I have spent $20-$60,000 less depending on the price most people are spending on GT500.
I guess my question would be why would someone buy a low-production, higher cost Mustang even when most of the time even those are additionally modded?
If it is the title edition, then that is why Ford is offering them for sale. Ford limits the cars to keep peaked interest and equally peaked sales as well. So...

Just buy a cheaper $15,000 range v/6 stang, strip the motor and install a rebuilt, stroked and pro-charged 5.4 from a wrecked Triton pick-up, with reinforcements, and you could probably still come under the $40,000 range....with a sick 5-800rwhp drag car on top of that. The ultimate sleeper!!Couldn't that be possible?:shrug:

Its the whole "exclusivity" part of it. Not many people can have one of those limited stangs....but ANYONE with too much cash, could turn a V6 into a monster.

Its ALL about what you want....if a stock V6 makes you happy, then GREAT. If its a modified GT, then GREAT. If you want to spend big bucks and buy a GT-500, then GREAT. As long as WHATEVER you do makes you happy....people have different needs/wants.
IMHO if you have a GT-500 you shouldnt look down upon someone with a V6...they all are stangs, some are just upgraded more either from the factory or the aftermarket.
For all you know, that V6 may be sprayed and turbod with 600RWHP LOL.

Here is the problem, which I hope Ford learned with the crapy GT500. If you bought a GT500 for MSRP then you got a great car, but if you paid market up, then you really bought a car that should have IRS, less weight etc. So if Ford allows dealers to mark these up, you are buying a car designed to be sold at X price all the while you bought it at Y price which you could very easily bought a Z06 or used Viper and run circles around it. At some point performance for the money has to come into play.