2008 E-250 4.6

Getting a free motor out of an E-250. Looking up the specs, I see it's still a 2v and has a 9.3 Compression ratio but has less power than the 99-04.

Anyone work on these, or know anything about them?
Would it be worth building up, or rebuilding as a back up to drop in?

• Sponsors (?)

6 or 8 bolt crank? I don't know if they still used 8-bolt Windsors for the truck/van 2v's up until that point or not.

Internally it should be pretty much the same as a GT 2v... power difference comes from the intake manifolds, exhaust system and computer tuning.

Reactions: 1 user
6 or 8 bolt crank? I don't know if they still used 8-bolt Windsors for the truck/van 2v's up until that point or not.

Internally it should be pretty much the same as a GT 2v... power difference comes from the intake manifolds, exhaust system and computer tuning.

Not sure there. Haven't seen it yet. I should know this weekend.

So are all 4.6 bottom ends pretty much the same as far as bolting on heads and such?

So, would a PI top end fit on this bottom? How about a set of aftermarket heads?

I'm not getting anything but the block, heads, intake and cams. I'm guessing the top end has flow issues compared to the PI motor. Just wondering if slapping that stuff on would up it a bit.

So, would a PI top end fit on this bottom? How about a set of aftermarket heads?

I'm not getting anything but the block, heads, intake and cams. I'm guessing the top end has flow issues compared to the PI motor. Just wondering if slapping that stuff on would up it a bit.

Unless I'm badly fooled, ALL 2-valves were PI motors after about 2001. As already mentioned, the only reason it isn't advertised at as much power as a Mustang 2-valve is the intake manifold (longer runners to promote more low-end torque), computer (same reason), and exhaust (to be cleaner). The block, bottom end, heads, and cams are all exactly the same, and anything that will bolt onto a 2-valve Mustang motor will bolt onto that one.

Unless I'm badly fooled, ALL 2-valves were PI motors after about 2001. As already mentioned, the only reason it isn't advertised at as much power as a Mustang 2-valve is the intake manifold (longer runners to promote more low-end torque), computer (same reason), and exhaust (to be cleaner). The block, bottom end, heads, and cams are all exactly the same, and anything that will bolt onto a 2-valve Mustang motor will bolt onto that one.
That's exactly what I was looking for man. Thanks.

The head and intake were taken off to see what everything looks like. Never taken them off a PI engine before. Anyone think it's similar?
View attachment 143350
View attachment 143351
IMAG0280.jpg

IMAG0281.jpg

View attachment 143354
View attachment 143355
View attachment 143356

Looks like a 2-valve Romeo PI motor to me. I know the 1L2E heads are PI Romeo heads.

I'm almost 100% sure that that timing cover won't work in a Mustang. You'll need to find a cover from a Mustang in a junkyard somewhere (or your current car if you are planning to build this motor on the side) for it to work.

I have the injecters which look really small, and nothing else. If I kept it as a back up, I would swap everything over. I'm thinking about getting a set of heads and going with a carb set up, obviously not in this car. Toss it in a 96-98 and strip it down under 3,000 pounds.