2008 GT: What's a fair price?

Swordsman

Jul 18, 2007
North GA, USA
I'm trying to get myself into a GT, but I'm not about to settle for the '07 leftovers. Not that there's anything wrong with them, it's just that I have a very specific set of options and colors I want, and I'm not willing to compromise if I'm plunking down this kind of cash (already looked at the remaining '07s in a 100 mile radius, no luck). Therefor I'm looking at ordering an '08.

Thus far the local dealership is trying to order me a GT at MSRP. I know they can come down from there. I'm not asking for anything fancy... a GT Deluxe with Active Security and Interior Upgrade options only (no need to pay for stuff I don't want). It priced out at $27,300 before tax, tag, title, and doc fees.

What do you guys think would be a fair price? I'm thinking maybe $24.5k before the other stuff, maybe an even $25k. Does that sound close? :shrug:

Thanks for any feedback!

~SM

• Sponsors (?)

I would think that you should be looking for a price somewhere in the 25-26 k range if you are ordering it. 24 k sounds better than X-plan I am not sure if they will just sell it to you for that much out of the goodness of their hearts. I ordered mine last July (06) and ended up spending a saturday afternoon calling around to about 150 different dealerships with the invoice price of my mustang with the options I wanted on it until someone gave me 500 over invoice without any bargaining. I ended up driving 2 hours to order it and pick it up, but everyone else was still trying to order me one for MSRP or for even more. With another year of production I don't see why you couldn't sit down with the dealer locator and make a few calls until someone will order you one. I ended up getting mine in a dealership out in the sticks in WV that hadn't sold their GT from the year before so they were more than willing to order a guarantedd sale of a mustang for cheap. Hope that rambling helped a bit.

Just build your car on ford.com and it will give you MSRP and Invoice. Go for Invoice minus any rebates that are out there. If you want to get really aggressive, ask for Invoice minus the Holdback minus the Rebates. Holdback is generally 3% of the MSRP.

Does that help?

Apex

With the 08's you're not likely to get any rebates as you would with the 07's. That's of course due to them wanting to push the 07's out the door. Your rates won't be as good either.

I was looking at a lot of 07's, all with similar packages and they ran no less than $29,000. I got my 08 for $31,000 out the door. Tax, tags and titles and all of the other fees. The sticker price alone was $31,756.

So your best bet may be to wait a little while longer for the 08's to hang around a bit. Right now they're just getting into the lots so it's not like the dealers are desperate to sell them. They'll be trying to push 07's on you for the next month or two until their inventory is widdled down.

You should be able to get an 08 somewhere between Invoice and MSRP from the right dealership which with the options you listed is between 25k and 27k before tax, title, and paperwork fees. I bought the '07 last year ordering it earlier in the year than now with all the options listed below and before I paid tax and title I was under 27,900. The cars only went up like 250 dollars from 06 to 07 for the base model I don't know why they would raise much more for 08. I agree you won't get any of the rebates like you would on an 07 though. I would say just call up dealers ask them what they will give you one for and try to negotiate for invoice or 500 over.

I work at a big Ford dealership and order all of our dealer's Mustangs. We special order 2008 Mustang GT's for $599 over invoice (2008 V6's are just $299 over invoice). There are no rebates currently available on 2008's. A 2008 Deluxe GT Coupe (without any optional equipment) at our markup is $25,607 (Invoice Total is $25,008 and MSRP is $26,585). For those who qualify for X-plan pricing (check with your employer to see if they are a Ford "partner") and the X-plan price is approximately $25,100 (just a bit over the Invoice Total). Add for any options you add, of course.

Last fall, I bought my very well equipped 2007 GT Premium Coupe using the Ford D-plan (for us employees). MSRP was $30,300, and my D-plan price was $27,135. There was only a $500 rebate on new 07's last fall when I bought, so I paid $26,635 (plus tax & license). If you have a relative that works at a Ford dealership or Ford itself, then you definately want to check into getting a D-plan PIN number to maximize your savings.

I would think that most dealers nationwide would be able to match our price, so hopefully this helps you with your local dealers.

picked up my '07 GT Premium Coupe in late June for $500 over invoice less $1000 + $500 for 2 Ford Rebates (college grad + $1k cash back)

I ended up paying something like $26 flat

It was $27,200 INCLUDING taxes, tags, etc...

The car is loaded, leather, sirius, shaker500, 3.55, IUP, GT App Pkg

Thanks for the info guys. That will definitely be helpful.

I would LOVE to get in on an '07 with some good rebates, but I won't even consider a GT that doesn't include side impact air bags, the light graphite interior, and the interior upgrade package (silly, I know, but it's MY money! :D ). That combo has proven VERY difficult to find, unless you start looking in the totally loaded, over $30k models. Or black ones, and I hate black. It's too hot in GA for that (hence the necessary light color interior).

I've sent out a handful of online requests (3), and just got one back offering $25,990, and no doc fees or other add-ons (tax, tag only). He may be willing to come down a bit more if I insist, and let him know I've got a minimum $7000 to put down.

~SM

Go for the order. People are talking about getting rebates and there is a decent chance they are paying for things they wouldn't have ordered anyways. If you order you will get one year newer model and only pay for the exact options you want on the vehicle. I wasn't going to save anything buying an 06 when I bought mine because I was going to be paying for an automatic or a convertible or a 5 speed missing options I wanted. I mean if you are spending 25k for an 07 with the same option then adding another grand of crap you don't want then what is the difference in just spending the extra grand and getting the exact exterior, interior and other options you want.

I also got a heck of a deal on a "left over" 2007. Much less than a 2008 would have cost me. I began looking weeks ago and finally found exactly what I wanted. Selection now has to be slim. I also found a lot of black Mustangs for some reason. I've owned a black one and just didn't want another. I got torch red with red interior and about every option available.
I love it. I figure by the time it was all said and done I got at least $5,000 off sticker.

Go for the order. People are talking about getting rebates and there is a decent chance they are paying for things they wouldn't have ordered anyways. If you order you will get one year newer model and only pay for the exact options you want on the vehicle. I wasn't going to save anything buying an 06 when I bought mine because I was going to be paying for an automatic or a convertible or a 5 speed missing options I wanted. I mean if you are spending 25k for an 07 with the same option then adding another grand of crap you don't want then what is the difference in just spending the extra grand and getting the exact exterior, interior and other options you want.

listen the voice of reason :lol:

I also got a heck of a deal on a "left over" 2007. Much less than a 2008 would have cost me. I began looking weeks ago and finally found exactly what I wanted. Selection now has to be slim. I also found a lot of black Mustangs for some reason. I've owned a black one and just didn't want another. I got torch red with red interior and about every option available.
I love it. I figure by the time it was all said and done I got at least $5,000 off sticker.

Sorry if I sounded like it could never work out, but I tried when the 2005's had been out for a year then again when the 2006's had also. I was not finding manuals anywhere near what I wanted and even with the rebates it just wasn't worth getting one I didn't like. Things are probably a little better this year as far as selection since the body type has been around for awhile, but I was asking the dealerships that I was ordering a 2007 from what they would do for me on an 06 and it didn't come close to making it worth while. Five grand might have been good, but they weren't giving me any better than 2500 under invoice and a grand of it was the auto transmission that I didn't want. I had owned cars that didn't cost more than 4500 when I bought them up until that point so I was sure as hell getting what I wanted. I suddenly became spoiled :)

I thought about a 2008 but figured there would be no rebate. Since I can buy under x plan, that's why I began my search for the perfect 2007. And I found it about a month ago after a three-week search.
I needed an automatic because of arthritis and other problems. I found plenty of manuals. Interesting isn't it as to how things can change in just a year or so.

I thought about a 2008 but figured there would be no rebate. Since I can buy under x plan, that's why I began my search for the perfect 2007. And I found it about a month ago after a three-week search.
I needed an automatic because of arthritis and other problems. I found plenty of manuals. Interesting isn't it as to how things can change in just a year or so.

If I could have found one with the right options from the right dealership I wouldn't have hesitated, however it wasn't happening after half a summer of searching. I did not have X-plan so the one similar to what I wanted (minus alloy met. and sirius radio of course) that dealership was only going to give me the rebates and no money off of msrp other than that. For about the same price I just went with the color, the sat. radio and I have to admit I was also concerned at the time whether I would get the extra warranty they put on mustangs about this time last year. 5/60 instead of 3/36. If he can get the right options for 1500-2000 less than ordering a new one, I wouldn't blame him for going for it.

IMPORTANT notice if you're ordering from the factory

IMPORTANT FYI: If you want it EXACTLY how you want it (just like me) and plan on ordering one built just for you, be aware that the LAST DATE TO ORDER one in a specific year is around July of that year, I'm pretty sure...

I was waiting for the employee discount to kick in on the new Stang (most dealers wouldn't offer it) back in '05 and waited too long, found out you couldn't order one after early July.

FUNNY STORY THEN ENSUES...

When Ford posted the 2006 models on their website, they must have lifted some of the text from their old 2004 model pages, cuz it said the 2006 would have "260 horsepower".

I freaked, thinking "F*@# THAT, I GOTTA GET ME A 2005!!!", and wondering why the heck would they DROP 40 horsepower from a kick-a$$ car? Then spent a good frantic week calling every dealer I could find along the western seaboard who might have a 2005 left with my color/options.

Low-and-behold, a very nice dealer somewhere up in the great state of WA had THE-LAST-ONE in my color (Redfire Met.), with ALLLLLLL the options I wanted (GT Prem. Conv., pretty much loaded inside/out).

CAKE: It was a Saleen.

ICING ON CAKE: Supercharged. :hail2:

SPRINKLES ON ICING ON CAKE: He said he'd let me have it with the D-Plan pricing for the original vehicle... around $52k. (about $3k off MSRP)

*SIGH* They even bumped up my pre-approved loan for the extra $20k I wasn't planning on spending. God, I thought about it long-and-hard for a good couple of days, SERIOUSLY-TEETERED on that edge for about 30 min, and then decided I just couldn't justify it. I later found out the website data was a mistake, ordered my 2006 on my sister's D-Plan, and been driving happily ever since.

And GOD PAYS US BACK for being good, I found... We're walking into a Costco, and my wife sees a gorgeously restored red '65 Fastback for the first time, turns to me and says "I want one."

I, of course, now being a master of self-restraint say "OK." :rolleyes:

Best part, this one won't count against me because it's "HERS". :D

-wwar1ace