2008 GT500KR... another limited edition none of us can afford

billfisher

Jul 17, 2005
huntsville, AL
The KR’s 5.4-liter V-8 Gets the Royal Treatment

Just like its namesake, the 2008 ‘King of the Road’ packs a walloping dose of Ford performance power under its massive composite hood scoops. The Ford SVT-engineered 5.4-liter supercharged V-8 is treated to a Ford Racing Power Upgrade Pack that boosts horsepower to an estimated 540 and torque to 510 ft.-lbs., thanks to revised ignition and throttle calibration and a cold air intake system that replaces the stock unit.

Calibration modifications include advancing the ignition timing as well as re-mapping of the electronic throttle settings to provide quicker throttle response for better off-line and mid-range acceleration. Increased throttle response will be met with a sharper roar from the Ford Racing-inspired exhaust system.

Power is delivered to the rear wheels through a Tremec TR6060 six-speed manual transmission and 3.73:1 rear axle ratio, upgraded from the standard GT500’s 3.31:1. Gear selection is courtesy of an all-new Ford Racing short-throw shifter making its debut on the KR. Topped with a white ball, the new shifter is 25 percent shorter than the unit on the GT500 providing for crisper, sharper shifts.

Ford SVT, Ford Racing and Team Shelby worked together to develop the KR’s suspension tuning. Based on initial work by Ford Racing and the team at Shelby, often at Shelby’s own facility on the grounds of Las Vegas Motor Speedway, Ford SVT chassis engineers will apply fine tuning techniques to prepare it for the streets.

“The production Shelby GT500 was maximized to deliver the perfect balance between ride and handling,” said Jamal Hameedi, chief nameplate engineer, Ford SVT. “In that same ride versus handling continuum, the KR will lean heavier towards all-out handling while still making it drivable on the street.”

Chassis engineers worked closely with the engine department in a holistic approach to the development of the KR, tuning the suspension to best optimize the engine enhancements.

“We aren’t fixing our attention on one or two attributes, but working on the vehicle as a whole,” stated Gary Patterson, vice president of operations for Shelby Automobiles. “The throttle response, power delivery, exhaust note, and handling should all gel together to deliver a total driving experience.”

The GT500KR will feature unique spring rates, dampers, stabilizer bars, and strut tower brace, all designed specifically for the KR, to deliver the precision handling package.

• Sponsors (?)

Mustang Momentum Cannot be Stopped

Unwilling to wait for the impending pony car war to heat up, Ford is extending Mustang’s leadership position by feeding the enthusiast demand for more models, features, performance parts, and special editions. Ford has committed to at least one new Mustang ‘feature’ vehicle per year. For 2007, it is the Shelby GT, and for 2008, there will be at least two including the Shelby GT500KR and the previously announced Mustang Bullitt.

Ford’s ‘Steed for Every Need’ strategy currently offers four horsepower options for Mustang, with pricing from $19,995 for a 240-hp V-6 Mustang coupe to $46,500 for a 500-hp Shelby GT500 convertible.

Ford has also introduced several special packages on Mustang further increasing its unique offerings, including the Pony Package and the California Special.

In addition, Ford Racing offers a complete catalog of performance parts for Mustang fans, from custom wheels and exhausts to the complete, turn-key Ford Racing Mustang FR500C race car.
As a result, Ford offers Mustang enthusiasts the ability to buy, modify and drive the steed that perfectly fits their need.

I saw numbers on-line saying the KR would be in the 50K range and add another 10-15K fore dealer mark up!!! I love the HP/TQ numbers on the GT500 & KR but the weight and of course the cost is the limited factors for me.

I was lucky enough to drive a friends C6 ZO6, OMG talk about power and it was so well planted. I was going 100 in 2nd gear with even realizing it. A off ramp turn I used to take at 45 in my Cobra I took at 65 and I'm sure it could keep going. I've always liked Vettes, the styling and power numbers along with all the aftermarket parts make them very appealing. If I had the cash think I'd get a ZO6 over any GT500 or KR. The New Bullitt might be more in my price range but even then I'd have to get one a year or two after first production.

40 more HP for about 40K more in cost and markup, basically for a different hood, wheels, small HP improvements and the old man's name.

Just imagine how bad the rapage will be if there's only going to be 1000 units made, versus the GT500's run. As it is already, the GT is marked up 10-15k, and if you live in Hawaii, its like 25k or so. One sold here for $83,XXX. Can you believe that?

No thanks. :notnice:

Like AntlCobra said, I'd rather buy a 06 Z06 and have change leftover in my pocket.

Imagine the insane mark up the Bullitt will carry. Like that old post went, how are these cars getting so heavy? The materials are lighter and stronger, and the crash equipment actually weighs less than what was used in the 80's. Maybe it is the fact that the motors weigh 700+ pounds and everything is power? Hmm. Oh well, another 4500 pound car to join the herd.

40 more HP for about 40K more in cost and markup, basically for a different hood, wheels, small HP improvements and the old man's name.
Just imagine how bad the rapage will be if there's only going to be 1000 units made, versus the GT500's run. As it is already, the GT is marked up 10-15k, and if you live in Hawaii, its like 25k or so. One sold here for $83,XXX. Can you believe that?

Like AntlCobra said, I'd rather buy a 06 Z06 and have change leftover in my pocket.

This is why I wish they left the shelby name out of it and kept it as just "cobra". Then we could buy them around MSRP.

Just dont act like you wont drool over them when they hit the show rooms.

I've honestly never drooled over an '05+ stang. :shrug: I love my car, but the next sports car I buy will be lighter and handle well. I certainly dont want anything fatter and heavier.

I need to get myself an English sports car. Maybe a TVR.:hail2:

There isn't an SN197 I drool over yet. They're nice cars, but I still am not on board with the styling, plus I have memories attached to the '94-'04's. Those are my Mustangs. I grew up with those. I need therapy. I am sentimentally attached to the SN95.
Plus, I never have given on up on Porsche. I am thinking of getting a Cayman or Boxster S in a year or two.

There isn't an SN197 I drool over yet. They're nice cars, but I still am not on board with the styling, plus I have memories attached to the '94-'04's. Those are my Mustangs. I grew up with those. I need therapy. I am sentimentally attached to the SN95.
Plus, I never have given on up on Porsche. I am thinking of getting a Cayman or Boxster S in a year or two.
I feel the same way here. I don't like the styling of the 05+ Mustangs. They don't have the "hips" tjat the 99-04 Mustangs have. The 05+ Mustangs are not ugly looking cars, but they are not as nice looking and as agressive looking as the 99-04 Mustang. The ONLY aggressive looking Mustang that's being currently built right now is the 07 Roush 427.

You guys kill me how you bash any kind of new Mustang that comes out. Call it fat, overpriced, overweight, ugly, call it whatever you want. Just dont act like you wont drool over them when they hit the show rooms.

I don't drool, per se. I admire the car, because Ford is finally "trying" to fight the HP war with Mopar. But, they've decided to stick that motor into a fat shell, give it an aura of "limited edition/exclusivity, and price it out of it's own class and most people's budgets. Not saying it isn't nice looking, but nonetheless it's a fat shell.

Can I afford a GT500....yes, I can. Would I buy one? Not new, that's for sure, and definately not new for a dime over MSRP. In fact, paying at or above MSRP means you took it in the butt and didn't negotiate well.

Like Drgstr05 said, they should have left the old man's name out of it and just named it a "Cobra." That way, the price wouldn't be so stupid and they'd probably sell a ****load more.

Just another one of Ford's recent ****ups. For the price of a GT500, not even the KR edition, I'd plop my hard earned money down on a Z06 and have a far better car.

which do u think will be worth more down the road tho?

2008 vette or a gt500kr?

id imagine a lot of people will buy them for the long haul, no?

True, but IMO there's nothing "special" about them, other than the limited run. The motor's basically the same except the power pack, which you can install yourself. Like I said, other than the hood and wheels, only the limited run makes it a KR. IMO, big deal.

It isn't like the old 427 Snakes of long ago....at least the motor differentiated itself from the others.

It is for collectors. That is want Ford is banking on I 'm sure. They don't care much about a performance car for drivers that may or may not beat a ZO6 or whatever. Money is the driving factor. They know people will pay extra for special editions. The muscle car trend is super hot now, even hotter than it was in the 80's. So slap some retro badges and names on, give it a few 'special' items, and you have cash$$$$. Remember, Ford is a major corporation for profit. Rightnow they aren't making profit. Anything helps. If it makes money, do it. Cash first, shareholders second, execs third, union payoffs forth, supply chains fifth, and drivers tenth.

While I admit the Z06 is a fine car, it's just not for me. I'm not a Corvette kinda guy. I'm more attracted to muscle or pony cars, not sports cars, which the Vette is, Mustang isn't.

That being said, if I had a good supply of cash, I'd buy a used 05-07 GT and slap some serious cash into it.

It is for collectors. That is want Ford is banking on I 'm sure. They don't care much about a performance car for drivers that may or may not beat a ZO6 or whatever. Money is the driving factor. They know people will pay extra for special editions. The muscle car trend is super hot now, even hotter than it was in the 80's. So slap some retro badges and names on, give it a few 'special' items, and you have cash$$$$. Remember, Ford is a major corporation for profit. Rightnow they aren't making profit. Anything helps. If it makes money, do it. Cash first, shareholders second, execs third, union payoffs forth, supply chains fifth, and drivers tenth.

That's exactly what I believe is happening with Ford too. They are definitely trying to make a profit by introducing special edition cars at very high prices. But I don't think that there will be a ton of consumers out there who will be willing to pay the big bucks which all the Ford dealers are asking for right now for the GT500 or even for the Shelby King of the Road. These overpriced Shelbys are LOSS LEADERS for Ford. They draw people to look at Ford to purchase other more reasonably priced cars like the V6 Ford Mustang and the Mustang GT. That's what I think.

Somebody needs to boot their sales strategy manager...
Seriously, Ford is doing this all wrong....again

They needs to come up with something that is:

Not limited run (Like that of old terminater - this is what killed GT500 imo. )
400+hp(thinking something like 425hp)
With bullit proof bottomend (like that of old terminater)
different body treatment (so that people would know you have something more then normal GT)
IRS (personal taste here. I love Indipendent rear suspension)
And this is the biggie

All this for UNDER $40000!!

So that some of us reguler Joe can afford with little penny pintchin!

Way it was, GT500 turned out to be over hyped Pig that couldn't even show its arse to Base Corvette that is $45000!!! which is about $45000 cheaper then what most of those GT500 sold for!:bang:

Common Bill, ask real ford enthusiast like us, we will set you straight!!!