2008 Houston Auto Show

Winters98GT

Whoop...whoop-whoop-whoop-whoop...GANGNAM STYLE!!!
Founding Member
Nov 29, 1999
H Town
I spent the night pounding $8 beers and checking out the new cars. I have to say, I was very disappointed. :notnice:

Most cars are priced so high, that it is not even in reality for most Americans. (Unless your one of the smart ones that likes to finance the rest of their lives to the banks)

My opinions

2010 mustang:notnice: Not impressed with it all
2010 camaro:notnice: Again, not impressed.
2009 Challenger SRT8, the worst of the pony/muscle cars (read my review http://forums.stangnet.com/774278-just-test-drove-challenger-srt8.html)

These new pony/muscle cars are just not my cup of tea. They are pigs and way too much to me.

The winning car, for me, was the pontiac g8. While still retaining some of the cheap pontiac interior, the car sits on the 2010 camaro frame. The base g8 weighs in under 4000 pounds, and uses the bad ass L76 (Australian) motor. Funny how I had to explain to the spokesperson that it wasn't the GM ls2, and that they are different. :rolleyes: The car is rated at a 13.9 at 102mph. Not bad for a 4 door sedan that looks nice and cost 32,000. The GXP gets the LS3, and is a bit more. The one drawback, is the typical pontiac front end and hood scoops. If they get those 2 lined out, I think this car has potential.

• Sponsors (?)

here's a few pics of the base v8
PontiacG8BlogTraction2.jpg

then the gxp
rims.jpg

Attachments

• PontiacG8BlogTraction2.jpg
    PontiacG8BlogTraction2.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 105
  • rims.jpg
    rims.jpg
    134.9 KB · Views: 115
I spent the night pounding $8 beers and checking out the new cars. I have to say, I was very disappointed. :notnice:

Most cars are priced so high, that it is not even in reality for most Americans. (Unless your one of the smart ones that likes to finance the rest of their lives to the banks)

My opinions

2009 Challenger SRT8, the worst of the pony/muscle cars (read my review http://forums.stangnet.com/774278-just-test-drove-challenger-srt8.html)

These new pony/muscle cars are just not my cup of tea. They are pigs and way too much to me.

The winning car, for me, was the pontiac g8. While still retaining some of the cheap pontiac interior, the car sits on the 2010 camaro frame. The base g8 weighs in under 4000 pounds, and uses the bad ass L76 (Australian) motor. Funny how I had to explain to the spokesperson that it wasn't the GM ls2, and that they are different. :rolleyes: The car is rated at a 13.9 at 102mph. Not bad for a 4 door sedan that looks nice and cost 32,000. The GXP gets the LS3, and is a bit more. The one drawback, is the typical pontiac front end and hood scoops. If they get those 2 lined out, I think this car has potential.

How is the G8 (which I love btw) a good value at 32K when the 2010 Camaro with 426hp is just over 30K? The 2010 Mustang GT although underpowered starts around 27-28K.

Edit here are some pics of the Detroit auto show and all the cars in question are in the album.

Shutterfly

Because it is a 4 door luxury/sport sedan. Not in the same class as a mustang.

As I said in my previous post I love the G8, but its hardly luxury.

Its basically a 4 door Camaro SS that cost 2K more and has 75hp less. Its just a different design body work but as you said yourself they are the same chassis.

Even the Z06 in your sig when stock was about 20K+ more than the 2010 Camaro is and the Z06 has less power. Id say that 426hp in a SS camaro for a base price of 30K is a freakin steal.

As I said in my previous post I love the G8, but its hardly luxury.

Its basically a 4 door Camaro SS that cost 2K more and has 75hp less. Its just a different design body work but as you said yourself they are the same chassis.

Even the Z06 in your sig when stock was about 20K+ more than the 2010 Camaro is and the Z06 has less power. Id say that 426hp in a SS camaro for a base price of 30K is a freakin steal.

edit

The 2 cars are different classes. I would classify the g8 as sport/luxury sedan, regardless of what class it falls in.

What you are doing, is taking 2 cars in different classes and comparing them. The g8 market is not the camaro market.

And the z06 market, is not a camaro market. So if you want to argue cars in different classes, Ill let you know that my car will rape a new SS in any category and I paid 10k less than a new camaro ss.

Same show, different take !

No beers for me , but your other point is valid ! :p

My opinions

I sat in the new Stang - nice, but not as nice as the Challenger, IMHO. Although the Challenger appears to have one helluva blind spot due to the large sail panel.

Can't say I have had the pleasure of drivng one, though. :(

New Camaro - I was extremely disappointed that I could not sit in one. The interior looks better in person than in photos, but still - I dunno. :shrug:

Did you see the 302 Saleen ? Shaker hood = :nice: 59K sticker = refer to your pricing comment. :rlaugh:

Believe it or not, I was really impressed w/ the Cobalt SS 4 door Turbo.

24K, moonroof, 5 speed, and more rear seat room than the Trailblazer SS !

Did you go on Sunday ? If so, did you see/get an autographed picture from Heidi Van Horne ?

Heidi Van Horne.com ( May be NWS, but no nudity that I know of )

:jaw:

Amazing what a push up bra can do !! :D

I did buy some Sham Wows for $ 25.00 - 4 of the "car" ones plus 4 "house " ones.

If they do 1/2 as good as the demo guys did/the infomercial it was worth it.
:)

My .02.

Britt

Britt, I did not go on Sunday. I went Monday night. I didn't get a great look at everthing in detail. We only spent 2 hours there, and it was hard to see everything since my buddy was interested in new pick up trucks.

The chevy guys were complete azzholes. They wouldn't even give me the time of day. I had one guy turn his back 3 times and answer other peoples questions. Maybe because I'm young and had blue jeans and a t shirt on. Who knows? I agree with not being able to sit in the SS.

Mark

meh...all of them are overpriced. Whos going to go into debt for 30+K for one of these things? Even if the economy was perfect, I wouldnt even think about it...they are not worth it.

If you want a nice car thats fast....hello 03/04 cobra, 02-04 Z06, ect....in otherwords I think peeps will move to used cars that are as fast or faster and cost alot less.

these new sports cars these days do not seem to be grabbing my attention anymore. My original thought of when i think of sports cars are basically cars prior to 2004. Everything these days just seem huge, expensive, and from what people say, a disappointment, with the exception of the corvettes all the way up to date. I have to say, the american automakers need to downsize all their sports cars, as one said, the g8 uses the same platform as the camero.....that is HUGE, i can only imagine how that boat might handle.

these new sports cars these days do not seem to be grabbing my attention anymore. My original thought of when i think of sports cars are basically cars prior to 2004. Everything these days just seem huge, expensive, and from what people say, a disappointment, with the exception of the corvettes all the way up to date. I have to say, the american automakers need to downsize all their sports cars, as one said, the g8 uses the same platform as the camero.....that is HUGE, i can only imagine how that boat might handle.

I agree with most of this. However, I think many people have taken the g8 out of context. This is not a 2 door muscle car. It needs to be compared to the Charger, Mercedes, BMW and the other cars that are in it's class.

I agree, if you don't like the car, then you don't like it. But it shouldn't be compared to muscle/sport cars.

I will go drive the L76 car, and I will write a review on this car as I did on the charger srt8 by the end of the week.

I agree with most of this. However, I think many people have taken the g8 out of context. This is not a 2 door muscle car. It needs to be compared to the Charger, Mercedes, BMW and the other cars that are in it's class.

I agree, if you don't like the car, then you don't like it. But it shouldn't be compared to muscle/sport cars.

I will go drive the L76 car, and I will write a review on this car as I did on the charger srt8 by the end of the week.

The G8 is closer to a Camaro than it is to a BMW 5 series.