2008 Mustang GT versus 2008 Dodge Charger R/T with.........

RED2001GT

Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Mar 18, 2003
I would like to know what you guys think about the difference in the performance, speed and torque between a 2008 Mustang GT and a 2008 Dodge Charger R/T with the R/T performance Package inside it?
I would love to hear your opinions about both vehicles.

• Sponsors (?)

It would be a good race and i think you'd win. The RT has a 345 hp motor in a over 4,00 pound car. I've had a run in with a couple of the hemi's and I haven't had a issue at any speed with them. On the highway you 5 speed is a great advantage and from the dig it's not a problem either.

Here is Car and Driver's times for the SRT-8.

C/D TEST RESULTS:
Zero to 60 mph: 4.8 sec
Zero to 100 mph: 11.2 sec
Zero to 130 mph: 19.9 sec
Street start, 5–60 mph: 5.2 sec
Standing ¼-mile: 13.2 sec @ 109 mph
Top speed (redline limited): 173 mph
Braking, 70–0 mph: 168 ft
Roadholding, 300-ft-dia skidpad: 0.90 g

The SRT8 is a low 13 second car and that's what a 5 speed Mach does so it's a drivers race. Now they'd have the advantage with the auto since they'll be more consistent since I'd have to shift perfect everytime. I have a feeling they may walk me on top end too unlike the 345hp models but I'd like to find one and give it a try.

It would be a good race and i think you'd win. The RT has a 345 hp motor in a over 4,00 pound car. I've had a run in with a couple of the hemi's and I haven't had a issue at any speed with them. On the highway you 5 speed is a great advantage and from the dig it's not a problem either.

Actually, the "regular" R/T has 340hp. But the R/T with the R/T Performance Package has 10 more hp at 350hp. It also has 390 ft. lbs. of torque. I think that the 10 more hp comes from the "performance" dual exhaust that it has.

One of my friends recently bought a brand new '07 RT that she spent over $30k on after taxes. We were in a bar and she was talking about how Mustangs suck and how she'd never drive a puss-stang with it's puny little engine and how only GM and Dodge know how to make a real muscle car. So, I asked her if you wanted to line up with my "puny" little 4.6. It was funny. I figured I'd win, but it was worse than I thought.

Of course, at the time, I didn't realize that they weighed over 900 lbs. more than my car and only put down about 20-25rwhp more. Haven't had the opportunity to run against an SRT8 yet. That would be interesting.

does the RT come in manual (gawd i hope so)

are you running an automatic or 5-spd?

The R/T comes ONLY with a 5 speed automatic "Autostick". I test drove this car and it has a LOT of torque and pickup. I am purchasing a brand new 2008 Charger R/T with the R/T Performance Package with the 350hp engine in it. I need something that is a family size car which is more practical. I now have a kid and my girl is sick and tired of not being able to fit anything in the Mustang that I had which just got totalled. The Charger R/T has huge trunk space and it also has a very roomy cabin. I would buy another Mustang, but I really need the space right now. Plus, I always go on the road and I spend a lot of time driving for my job, so I need something a little more spacious and luxurious than a Mustang. I looked at a lot of different cars to see what I like and what I don't like. Most of the 2008 brand new cars that are out on the road are ugly and too rounded looking. I didn't like any of them other than the 2008 Mustang and the 2008 Dodge Charger R/T. I think that the Charger R/T is an excellent choice for horsepower, room and styling.

The new Chargers are so stupid. My old man raised me as an avid MOPAR fanatic. But Dodge's attempt to relive its glory days makes me sick. When I saw that damn thing for the first time I was like "A 4 door Charger??? WTF is this ****?" Also the upcoming Challenger makes me angry as well. Although I like it more than that poor excuse for a Charger because you can at least see the resembalance of the new Challenger with the old one. Still the Challenger was a legendary car that was so rare. Now every assclown and their brother is gonna be driving them around thinking they are cool. Lol sorry for the rant.

Is that a joke? R\T's are slow as hell and most of their drivers know it.

What makes you say that? Quite the contrary my friend. The Charger R/T's are quite fast cars considering that their weight is 4,000 lbs.. The great 390 ft./lbs. of Torque and the 340hp in the R/T and the 350hp in the R/T with the R/T Performance Package makes up for their weight. Remember, the R/T is a LARGE FULL SIZE FAMILY SEDAN. It is no way as small or as light as a Mustang.
I don't understand WHY you think that the R/T's are slow as hell when they have this much horsepower and torque for their size and weight? Please explain yourself.

The new Chargers are so stupid. My old man raised me as an avid MOPAR fanatic. But Dodge's attempt to relive its glory days makes me sick. When I saw that damn thing for the first time I was like "A 4 door Charger??? WTF is this ****?" Also the upcoming Challenger makes me angry as well. Although I like it more than that poor excuse for a Charger because you can at least see the resembalance of the new Challenger with the old one. Still the Challenger was a legendary car that was so rare. Now every assclown and their brother is gonna be driving them around thinking they are cool. Lol sorry for the rant.

Okay, so the Charger is a 4 door car. What's the big deal? It isn't a bad looking car. I know that the Charger was originally a 2 door car and maybe if it stayed a 2 door car it would look a lot better than it does now. But Dodge didn't want to make it into a 2 door car probably because they knew that they wouldn't sell as many 2 door Chargers as they could sell 4 door ones. Dodge didn't want to make the new Charger too retro looking probably because they knew that they were going to revive the Challenger and that they needed ONLY one of the 2 cars to look retro in order to preserve sales. I think that's the reason why they didn't make the Charger so retro looking like they did the Challenger. Plus, they also probably knew that they would sell more 4 door Chargers than 2 door ones.

I agree with you about the new Challenger having a great resemblance to the original older one. The Challenger is a beautiful design and it is more retro looking than the Charger.

I dunno 4 door cars come off as family cars NOT muscle cars to me. For example I love when the 40 year old dude with his wife and kids in the backseat still in their church clothes pulls up next to me at the light when Im on my way to work wanting to race his 4 door Charger against my stang. Sure his car may be faster than mine but seriously at least mine has the cool factor. lol.

They should of just let these cars die with all their glory still intact. I dont even consider these new ones to be in the same league as the 69 chargers.
God Im just praying that they do not try to remake the Plymouth Barracuda...