2009 Mustang

• Sponsors (?)

When I bought my car the other day, the dealer told me the redesign wasn't going to actually make it to the market until '10 or '11. He said Ford didn't want to steal the thunder away from the F150 redesign. Can anyone substantiate this? I had thought it was going to be '09 all along. He knew I wasn't going to change my mind about buying a car and hold out for the 2009, so its not like he had an incentive to lie to me... ???

2009MY will have a slight redesign (a la 94-98 & 99-04) and 2011MY will be a whole new style, according to everything I've seen. But it's all speculation.

That's just a mule, most likely testing a new powerplant (probably the Boss engine or a 3.5L TT). That is definitely not a spy shot for a whole new revision.

Actually it's the 2010MY which will have the slight redesign (a la 94-98 & 99-04) and 2012-15MY will be the first complete re-design..The original 2009MY re-fresh was pushed behind one year, in order to compete with the upcoming 2010 Camaro...Both the Mustang and Camaro, will arrive at dealerships in mid to late 2009 during the 2010 model year !

Actually it's the 2010MY which will have the slight redesign (a la 94-98 & 99-04) and 2012-15MY will be the first complete re-design..The original 2009MY re-fresh was pushed behind one year, in order to compete with the upcoming 2010 Camaro...Both the Mustang and Camaro, will arrive at dealerships in mid to late 2009 during the 2010 model year !

From everything I've read, the all new version comes out in 2010 as a 2011 MY to compete with the Challenger and Camaro. Ford would push back a slight restyling to compete with 2 brand new cars. No, Ford needs a new car too, this refreshinging is just to introduce the new engine and new special editions.

From everything I've read, the all new version comes out in 2010 as a 2011 MY to compete with the Challenger and Camaro. Ford would push back a slight restyling to compete with 2 brand new cars. No, Ford needs a new car too, this refreshinging is just to introduce the new engine and new special editions.
Well what you've read is completely inaccurate! First off, the Challenger goes into production in mid 08 ahead of both the upcoming 2010 Camaro and 2010MY Mustang re-fresh, as an 09 model..As for the 2010MY re-fresh is concerned ? it's more than just a slight restyle..In addition to the front and rear makeovers ! the restyle also includes the rear quarter panels getting hips, to give the car a more pronounced/aggressive stance, while the dash and interior will also be upgraded to look more 69-70 era..As for the special editions, such as the Mach 1 and Boss are concerned ? their supposed to be out in either late 08 ? or early 09 ahead of the 2010MY re-design, as 2009 models..The Bullit on the other hand ? is supposedly going into production in early/mid 08 as a 2008 model..As for the reason behind Ford pushing back the original 2009MY slight re-fresh ? According to Ford President of the America's Mark Fields ! the 2009MY re-fresh, was going to be just a slight cosmetic facelift of the front and rear sections, and perhaps updating the interior and dash somewhat ? However, when GM confirmed it's plans to put their upcoming 2010 Camaro into production ! Fields then decided, he wanted more than just a slight re-fresh for the Mustang, thus pushing back the re-style from 2009MY to 2010MY in order to compete head to head, with the upcoming 2010 Camaro..With that being said ! don't always go by what's published in magazine articles. And btw ! why would Ford wait an entire full year after GM launches it's 2010 Camaro, in mid/late 09 before releasing just a slightly face lifted version of the Mustang ? thus defeating the entire purpose behind pushing back the original 2009MY re-style up to 2010MY, in the first place ! It also wouldn't make any logical sense for Ford to launch an entire new Mustang, just a year following it's release of their 2010MY re-style either.. And finally ! Ford has already confirmed that it's all new Mustang, won't go into production until at least 2012-2015 :flag:

Oh and btw ! why would Ford release an all new Mustang, a full year after GM releases it's all new 2010 Camaro in mid/late 09 for ? this wouldn't make any logical sense and would put Ford behind GM instead of being out in front ! Especially when it's already been confirmed by Ford, in which the all new Mustang won't take place until at least..2012-2015 :flag:

It wouldn't be the first time. Chevy changed the Camaro for '93 whereas the Mustang didn't change until '94.

It wouldn't be the first time. Chevy changed the Camaro for '93 whereas the Mustang didn't change until '94.
Unless Chevy ends up changing the 09 concept design, before releasing it's production version of the 2010 Camaro at the very last moment ? The 2010MY re-fresh should keep Ford ahead of the game. And from GM's point of view ! they don't have the luxury of just changing the design of a current existing car like in years past.. This time around ! their hoping that it's all new Camaro, will keep pace with the re-styled 2010 Mustang..:D

As a previous 4th Gen Camaro owner I will go on record in saying Chevy WRECKED Ford in the styling department on the cars mentioned in your post ;)

I believe you actually meant to say, that Chevy's styling was a WRECK, when compared to both Ford's Fox and SN-95 design..As Camaro's 3rd generation couldn't even keep pace with the Mustang's aging Fox Gen, and in the end ! not even the 4th generation F-body could save the Camaro from extinction, as it once again ! just couldn't hold it's own when compared to the SN-95 Mustang..And if history does indeed repeat itself ? The Mustang will once again, be the last car standing :rlaugh:

Why not use the same engine in the Jaguar XK or a very close rendition. In base trim the 4.2L puts out 300HP/303TQ while the supercharged XKR version pumps out 420HP/413TQ.

Well what you've read is completely inaccurate! First off, the Challenger goes into production in mid 08 ahead of both the upcoming 2010 Camaro and 2010MY Mustang re-fresh, as an 09 model..As for the 2010MY re-fresh is concerned ? it's more than just a slight restyle..In addition to the front and rear makeovers ! the restyle also includes the rear quarter panels getting hips, to give the car a more pronounced/aggressive stance, while the dash and interior will also be upgraded to look more 69-70 era..As for the special editions, such as the Mach 1 and Boss are concerned ? their supposed to be out in either late 08 ? or early 09 ahead of the 2010MY re-design, as 2009 models..The Bullit on the other hand ? is supposedly going into production in early/mid 08 as a 2008 model..As for the reason behind Ford pushing back the original 2009MY slight re-fresh ? According to Ford President of the America's Mark Fields ! the 2009MY re-fresh, was going to be just a slight cosmetic facelift of the front and rear sections, and perhaps updating the interior and dash somewhat ? However, when GM confirmed it's plans to put their upcoming 2010 Camaro into production ! Fields then decided, he wanted more than just a slight re-fresh for the Mustang, thus pushing back the re-style from 2009MY to 2010MY in order to compete head to head, with the upcoming 2010 Camaro..With that being said ! don't always go by what's published in magazine articles. And btw ! why would Ford wait an entire full year after GM launches it's 2010 Camaro, in mid/late 09 before releasing just a slightly face lifted version of the Mustang ? thus defeating the entire purpose behind pushing back the original 2009MY re-style up to 2010MY, in the first place ! It also wouldn't make any logical sense for Ford to launch an entire new Mustang, just a year following it's release of their 2010MY re-style either.. And finally ! Ford has already confirmed that it's all new Mustang, won't go into production until at least 2012-2015 :flag:

I'll just call MotorTrend and Car & Driver and tell them their sources are incorrect and they should get their news from you then. :nice:

I'll just call MotorTrend and Car & Driver and tell them their sources are incorrect and they should get their news from you then. :nice:

And while where're at it ! send them over to Blue Oval News, Ford Motor Co. and The Mustang Source Forums, which is where I get all my news from..Perhaps then ? both Motor Trend and Car & Driver, may publish more reliable and accurate info. ! :nice: :flag:

I believe you actually meant to say, that Chevy's styling was a WRECK, when compared to both Ford's Fox and SN-95 design..As Camaro's 3rd generation couldn't even keep pace with the Mustang's aging Fox Gen, and in the end ! not even the 4th generation F-body could save the Camaro from extinction, as it once again ! just couldn't hold it's own when compared to the SN-95 Mustang..And if history does indeed repeat itself ? The Mustang will once again, be the last car standing :rlaugh:

I'm afraid that as an ex-4th gen owner, I too think the Chevy left the Ford for dead in the styling department - 3rd and 4th gen. I think the Mustang survived because it sold an awful lot of V6 models and was physically more compact and easier to drive so sold more to small families and women - the 4th gen had low seats and it was hard to see any of the extremities if you were short, the doors were long and the hatch was big. The Mustang wasn't as hard-core as the 4th gen, more like a saloon (it still is in many respects), which had gobs more power and handled better although again I think the steering may have been too heavy for many. I think the 4th gen had a pricing issue too from historical agreements to build the F-body in Canada but the fact was you had the cost of an all-alloy Corvette engine too.

The main difference between Ford and GM is that when Ford wanted to kill/replace the Mustang with the Probe, the outcry was enough to change Ford's mind. When they decided to axe the F-Body, despite an outcry, GM did what they always do - exactly what they want. Marketing was never GM's suit and their advertising was very poor.

As for the new Camaro v Mustang, I wouldn't be so confident or arrogant to presume that GM isn't a whole lot more serious this time. It has seen the profit in retro-styling and how a little effort can pay dividends. For the sake of both companies, I hope both the restyled Stang and the production Camaro hit the mark. I'm not too bothered about the Challenger as it's a regeneration of a long-dead 60's model line, bigger, heavier and a different proposition as it's still an old Mercedes under the frock.

Myself, I'm waiting for the Camaro but will be keeping my blown 05 too. If the Camaro is as good as my 4th gen, I may sell the Stang but who can tell, we can only speculate until both players show their cards. :D