200mph safety questions

Rickey_Bobby

Nov 8, 2006
Sarasota, FL
What is the highest speed that the convertable top will remain attached to a 99gt?

I'm going out to bonneville this september and am extremely concerned about the top staying on. I also believe that if it does remain attached, it will bubble up so much that it will cause a lot of drag and slow me down.

Would I be best off running top down?
The cobras that run out there obviously dont have tops, so it cant be too bad.

Thoughts?

• Sponsors (?)

I would be more worried about the front end lifting off the ground. These cars arent made to go that fast. Hell 03-04 Cobra which are more aerodynamic start lifting at about 160-170. Unless you have like a Cobra R front bumper Id be careful.

I have substantial mods to the car to get up past 200.

My question is about the top, not front lifting.

And cobra's dont Lift at 160. I honestly have no clue where you got that idea...

Well, I got that from 2 Cobra owners who said that at about 160ish the front end started to lift... I wasnt in the car so I have no clue if thats true, but two people told me this so took there word for it.

I have substantial mods to the car to get up past 200.

My question is about the top, not front lifting.

http://www.automedia.com/Salt/Shaker/pht20050301ml/1

Wonder if he actually sold that car last year

It won't hold to 200, that's for sure, it doesn't seal that well and they're too many valleys where the wind will affect the dynamics, you are better off keeping the top down and getting a speedster cover (and wind screen) for the back, and getting a wing or splitter to hold you in place

SAL-046-007-PIC1.jpg

SAL-046-006-PIC1.jpg

You going to trailer the car or drive it there? and take some pics when you do go :nice:

Like this guy?
http://www.automedia.com/Speed/at/Salt/Flats/pht20050301ml/1

Yes, someone makes a hardtop for the GT, I googled it, but couldn't locate one. If it was me, I would explore that option, or possibly run with the top down. I'm not sure which would be worse, aero wise.
Yeah, I'd locate a hardtop, and install a real stout roll cage, and don't forget the arm restraints on the firesuit. I raced sports cars (convertible) and we had to run arm restraints to keep our arms within the confines of the cage so they didn't get ground off. (which I have personally witnessed BTW).

http://www.smoothline.com/contemporary_models_Ford_Mustang.php

but IMHO, it's gunna take a lot more aero mods than that to get a Mustang to run 200mph...(well, and still be in one piece afterwards anyway)
Well. seeing that one person has proved with stock hood, stock front bumper, stock rear deck spoiler can do it pushing 600rwhp, with a cobra, I don't see what you're getting at.
200mph:rolleyes: You would have more of a chance at getting 200mpg.:lol:
How? you know a stock 98 cobra can hit 186 with a supercharger...
you know a chipped 03 cobra has a salt flat run of 183..
:rlaugh:

I'll believe it when I see it....

Ok. :)

well, considering that the car has already been to 173, another 27mph isnt too much to ask. After looking at my options, I'm probably going to go with the fiberglass cover and run w/ the top down. I have a custom front end almost done and a belly pan already on the car to suck her to the ground. Actually had to raise the ride height because of it. The car dropped almost an inch at 150 after installing the pan. It also slowed me down a bit, only made 161mph with it, so more HP is deffinatly needed, but will soon be easy to come by. (5.4L)

tomustang:
That cover you showed, how is it fastened to the car? I dont want that thing flying off at 200... also, I have a 6pt cage in the car, any thoughts on how to get the cover to clear the rear bars without hacking it to crap?

Anyone know where i can get a set of centerline wheels for less than the cost of a new stang? The ones I have according to the rules, will limit me to a 180mph or less run (even thought I would keep pushing past that, it just wouldnt be recorded)