200mph safety questions

Like this guy?
http://www.automedia.com/Speed/at/Salt/Flats/pht20050301ml/1

Yes, someone makes a hardtop for the GT, I googled it, but couldn't locate one. If it was me, I would explore that option, or possibly run with the top down. I'm not sure which would be worse, aero wise.
Yeah, I'd locate a hardtop, and install a real stout roll cage, and don't forget the arm restraints on the firesuit. I raced sports cars (convertible) and we had to run arm restraints to keep our arms within the confines of the cage so they didn't get ground off. (which I have personally witnessed BTW).

Yea, the safety stuff is gunna run a pretty penny, I'm trying to find one of those neck restraints that nascar requires now, because if I do lift, I'm sure the drop will suck worse than any wreck i've been in yet...

• Sponsors (?)

tomustang:
That cover you showed, how is it fastened to the car? I dont want that thing flying off at 200... also, I have a 6pt cage in the car, any thoughts on how to get the cover to clear the rear bars without hacking it to crap?

Anyone know where i can get a set of centerline wheels for less than the cost of a new stang? The ones I have according to the rules, will limit me to a 180mph or less run (even thought I would keep pushing past that, it just wouldnt be recorded)

Yeah it wouldn't work with a roll cage

Here's a thread from way back about 200mph http://forums.stangnet.com/showthread.php?t=567240&highlight=200mph

About the rims, alternative would be to look up some nascar knock-offs from like summit

wow, glad this post didn't get that crazy.
I watched some videos of land speed record attempts gone wrong....
I think I need more cage now.... Lots more.
And I have to find a parachute somewhere, cant find used ones, and new ones cost more than my engine. Wonder if the Tech inspectors will notice the differance between a real 'chute and a 20'x20' tarp and some clothes line stuffed in a small trashcan taped to my trunk....:D

thats a BIG 27mph man. not liek doing 100-127. it takes a CRAPLOAD of power to gain 27mph at those speeds
That's right, and if he goes and fails to achieve 200 mph then he will probably try again
Rickey,
OT, but I don't recall ever seeing pics of your car. Do you have any you can post?
and a mod list, we would like to know what you have on your car :)

agreed...

This thread is :bs:

You know, regardless if this is :bs: or not, he is asking legitimate questions to gain knowledge on how to achieve 200mph safely. Last time I checked this is stangnet, the forum of technical questions and valid answers. Some :bs: slips through but I don't see any of it yet in this thread except for the people bickering that it's a joke. :notnice:

Ricky, here is a formula used to closely estimate how much RWHP you will need to obtain a specific speed based upon your coefficient of drag, frontal area, and assuming an air density and gravity that is consistent with sea level. This formula also assumes an air density that would be consistent with the SAE J1349 Revision JUN90 correction weather conditions (77°F, 29.235 In-Hg, and 0% humidity. This equation also assumes a rolling power factor of 28 (3500 raceweight and 200 MPH).

RWHP = 8.702 x 10^(-6) x Cd x Frontal Area(sq-ft) x MPH^3

Just from some brief searching around, the best info I could find on a 1999-2004 Mustang GT vert was a .361 Cd and a 21.9 sq-ft frontal area.

So plugging all the numbers I come up with 550.4 RWHP. That sounds about right. Plugging all the numbers for a 2007 Corvette Z06 gives me 472.3 RWHP required to reach 200 MPH and that's pretty close. Making the power to reach 200 MPH won't be a problem, but you are going to really have to do some progressive testing to make sure the car won't lift at those speeds.

View attachment 402337
3rd gear fly by
stevens_shat_0321.jpg

had to make room for the turbo piping.
car007.jpg

car002.jpg

the 42#rs are gone now... running 60#rs, twin focus pumps

Right now I have a stock 4.6/vortech back in it so i can still get to work. I should have the 5.4 done in about a week, but I still dont know if I'm going to run it in my car or my friends, I have a 5.0 stroker almost done as well, and I think I will be going with it so I dont have to spend so long modifying the turbo setup that I have. It's also an aluminum block.. which would be nice... I'm upping the turbo from a t70 to a t76 Q trim. Power will not be an issue. My main concern is staying on the ground.

More pix soon as I get them... Been working my a$$ off lately to feed my habit....

Attachments

• stevens_shat_0321.jpg
    stevens_shat_0321.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 76
  • car007.jpg
    car007.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 76
  • car002.jpg
    car002.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 80
I would like to take the time to let everyone on her know that I dont plan on DEFINATLY hitting 200.... I have NEVER raced on the salt, and have no clue how the car will behave. And I havnt run it full out with the top down, I dont know how much that will help/hurt my speed either. Before raising a BS flag, please read and find where I said i WAS GOING TO RUN 200MPH. I didn't.
I want to, and I am shooting for it. But for my first time out there, the elevation, and lack of experience I believe I will do a best of 170-180. I will still push it until it blows or just doesnt go faster... I am kinda worried about running the engine full load and at 6K rpm + for a few minutes.... thats a lot of stress. My car will make 194 mph @ 6K rpm with my current gearing (if the tranny holds, i'm sure it will be the fastest tr3650, and the engine, possibly the fastest 2 valve)

I wish I would have seen this thread earlier. I met RB on stangnet and he helped me do some work on my car. He's legit. But I guess you can tell that already by the pics above. Oh well. Oh BTW RB, any chance you would want to put the SFC's on my car in the near future? I have to wait till late March for the KB now and I'm dying to do something to the car. Thanks man.

I wish I would have seen this thread earlier. I met RB on stangnet and he helped me do some work on my car. He's legit. But I guess you can tell that already by the pics above. Oh well. Oh BTW RB, any chance you would want to put the SFC's on my car in the near future? I have to wait till late March for the KB now and I'm dying to do something to the car. Thanks man.

Man, you really wanna stick w/ that KB don't ya?
Cough vortech cough...... :D

SFC's would be no problem. Just give me about a week heads up so I can get the materials. It would only take a few hours to install.

-Steve

I don't mean to hi jack this thread, but if you go KB (I did) I would HIGHLY recomend buying a tuner kit, and letting the local tuner or these guys: www.jmschip.com supply the injectors/tune etc. That way you don't have to deal with KB too much, because they gave me the big johnson award when they gave me a chip that didn't have a tune on it. (I paid for it) and the car ended up denying the processor. It cost about $600 to straighten out by thsese guys www.racerelated.com Who I would also recomend. I'm sure their are other shops around just as good, but be careful of KB. Working with them is a lot like hitting yourself in the head with a hammer..it feels good when you finally stop.

Now back to our normally scheduled thread...
BTW do you guys get up to the BK in pinellas park much? You're justa cross the bridge from me

Looks good Steve. Bonneville is a really fun place, been there a few times.

Hey BTW, are you guys gonna make it over to the NMRA Ford Nationals at Bradenton Motorsports Park the weekend of March 8-11th? I'll probably bring my car and run it in between events.

Ricky, here is a formula used to closely estimate how much RWHP you will need to obtain a specific speed based upon your coefficient of drag, frontal area, and assuming an air density and gravity that is consistent with sea level. This formula also assumes an air density that would be consistent with the SAE J1349 Revision JUN90 correction weather conditions (77°F, 29.235 In-Hg, and 0% humidity. This equation also assumes a rolling power factor of 28 (3500 raceweight and 200 MPH).

RWHP = 8.702 x 10^(-6) x Cd x Frontal Area(sq-ft) x MPH^3

Just from some brief searching around, the best info I could find on a 1999-2004 Mustang GT vert was a .361 Cd and a 21.9 sq-ft frontal area.

So plugging all the numbers I come up with 550.4 RWHP. That sounds about right. Plugging all the numbers for a 2007 Corvette Z06 gives me 472.3 RWHP required to reach 200 MPH and that's pretty close. Making the power to reach 200 MPH won't be a problem, but you are going to really have to do some progressive testing to make sure the car won't lift at those speeds.

The equation I have is
Aerodymaic RWHP = Cd x Frontal Area(sq-ft) x MPH^3 / 146625
(146625 = 6.820119 * 10^-6) you then have to calculate rolling resistance also.

I have attached a graph using this equation which shows the required hp from 0 to 200 MPH.