2010 Chevy Camaro SS vs. 2010 Ford Mustang GT, 2009 Dodge Challenger R/T

• Sponsors (?)

Equate to squat? Like the stangs, owned 2 of em. This new Camaro beats the GT in every catagory and Hot Rod Magazine ran a 12.95 in bone stock form on the Street. Now dont get to jittery, most Camaro owners are hitting low 13s, hell its running the same times as our LS1s for the moment. Although these cars are being ran with less than 1500 miles on em. So after the break in period, im sure youll see high 12s all day.

I respect the mustang and love the new look, but dont diss a car that is better in every option and a car company thats going broke even gave the faithfull a BADASS engine. Have you even seen one in person?

LMR CAI &Tune went 12.50's @111mph YouTube - 2010 SS CAMARO GYPSY RACING LMR

Yea the SS is a nice car. If you have 40k to spend on one. My loaded GT with track pack will ring in at about 32k, granted that's with XPlan. But think of what I can do with 8 grand. Hell I put long tubes on my 05 and a dyno tune and it was running 12.9s off a "puny" 4.6. And not to mention our archaic live axle is pulling better g's than the new SS with it's 111 extra horsepower. Chevy's doing the same thing with this Camaro they did with the last - It's a fat cow of a car and it's over priced. And the inside is just plain awful, almost like they tried too hard to make it look cool and it's just plain ugly, reminds me of my friend's cavalier. Granted it's faster, you get what you pay for. Too bad they're going bankrupt.
:notnice:

Base model SS is 31k and the 2SS is 34k.... With RS package the 2SS goes to 37k. I know, Bruce lowerie Chevrolet offered me these prices. County Line Ford had a 2010 GT Deluxe stickered at 34k and the premy at 36k. Mustang buyers will get mustangs, and Camaro ppl will buy Camaros...no matter the price of the other.

Mustang buyers will get mustangs, and Camaro ppl will buy Camaros...no matter the price of the other.

Say's you maybe... I have 2 mustangs and 2 corvettes in my stable. Have had camaros as well. I guss I'm part of the group that says that car guys will buy cars and could car less who builds it.

Sounds like you have some hook-ups with that camaro. The best price I could find was $37K and it was lightly optioned. That puts me walking out the door at $40K. I walked out the door with my fully loaded stang at $33K.

I see you quoting the camaro won in every category. That is not true. It ties in braking, loss in skid pad and won in acceleration. Being how close these cars really are it still comes down to the driver skill most the time. It's funny how often you see someone with a fast car sit at the line and do nothing but spin the tires through the gears :)

The camaro is a really nice car and has a lot of potential to be a street warrior but don't lose sight that for the same amount of money (often less) that mustang, challenger, 370z, imprza, GTO, etc. right next to you may still give you one heck of a run for your money.

The only thing that rings true these days about cars is, "Speed's money, how fast do you want to go?"

Leave on one last note... Keep in mind that for the price of a fully optioned camaro you could get a GT500 and I think we can all agree that the run their wouldn't even be close.

True that on the GT500, although you wont find one for Sticker, and we both know that. Alot of dealers down here (Texas) are selling camaros at MSRP. The economy is just to tough at the moment. Ive owned 2 Mustangs, so im a fan, dont think im just some mustang bashing camaro lover lol. In my opion though, I feel the Camaro is superior than every other reborn muscle car being made today, (GT500 Excluded :) ....

Challenger - MEGA Powerfull Engine, running 12.90s all day and caring a 4100lb gut while doing it. Interior is so so, and the exterior is top notch......theres just something missing about it...It just doesnt have that IT factor.

Mustang - Strong Engine, but out gunned against the Big Dogs and sadly against some potent V6ers as well . reskined 05 and a few bell ringers is all Ford is giving for the Return to Muscle Car Era----which is going to be brief remind you. Interior is Great and the front Fascia is menacing. Mustang Faithfull will always rule the crowds and most likely car sells.

Camaro - LS series PowerHouse Engine 426hp and running 12.90s again with caring near 4000lbs. IRS rear suspension and Great Exterior Panels. Interior is very good and light years ahead of the F-Body Era. Maybe the Right car at the wrong time though !! I hope not. The Camaro Z/28 packs 556hp and has been made, but cut do to the hard times....sad, that car would have killed everything in its path.

True that on the GT500, although you wont find one for Sticker, and we both know that. Alot of dealers down here (Texas) are selling camaros at MSRP. The economy is just to tough at the moment. Ive owned 2 Mustangs, so im a fan, dont think im just some mustang bashing camaro lover lol. In my opion though, I feel the Camaro is superior than every other reborn muscle car being made today, (GT500 Excluded :) ....

Challenger - MEGA Powerfull Engine, running 12.90s all day and caring a 4100lb gut while doing it. Interior is so so, and the exterior is top notch......theres just something missing about it...It just doesnt have that IT factor.

Mustang - Strong Engine, but out gunned against the Big Dogs and sadly against some potent V6ers as well . reskined 05 and a few bell ringers is all Ford is giving for the Return to Muscle Car Era----which is going to be brief remind you. Interior is Great and the front Fascia is menacing. Mustang Faithfull will always rule the crowds and most likely car sells.

Camaro - LS series PowerHouse Engine 426hp and running 12.90s again with caring near 4000lbs. IRS rear suspension and Great Exterior Panels. Interior is very good and light years ahead of the F-Body Era. Maybe the Right car at the wrong time though !! I hope not. The Camaro Z/28 packs 556hp and has been made, but cut do to the hard times....sad, that car would have killed everything in its path.

I must say that I have to respectfully disagree on a few items here. Its funny you say that GT500's aren't selling for sticker but Camaro's are. Why do you say that? Here in Ohio you can't find a Camaro SS for under about $41K. I've did some looking last weekend out of curiosity.

I feel quite the opposite and that the Mustang is superior to the Camaro, but hardly suprising as I'm a Mustang guy.........but I grew up a GM/Pontiac guy and still love the Trans Ams. But I absolutetly hate the looks of the new Camaro. The front end even reminds me of the Cadillac XLR.

Most people I've talked to love the looks of the Challenger. The thing holding it back is its size. The thing I hate most about the Camaro and Challenger is that deep down inside they're nothing more than re-badging cars.

Say what you want about the Mustang but with a much smaller V8 its not far behind the much larger engined competitors and there are very few V6's that are capable of outgunning them. Any that can are giving the Camaro a run for its money. Besdides everything changes next year when the 5.0 400hp V8 comes out.

You Camaro guys always crack me up. For years we'll have to endure stories of what "could have been" with the Z28. Are you telling me that a car that barely has more hp than the GT500 and would have weighed more would have killed the GT500? It might be a drivers race but I doubt the Z28 would kill the GT500........but I could be wrong and we'll never know. Shoot once Obama is done with GM you may be lucky if the Camaro and Corvette even survive.

^^^^ you live in Ohio...I clearly stated Texas. Also I said I owned 2 mustangs and my thoughts on the Camaro..were again....my own opinion. Agree to Disagree....and Ill bet the Hurricane 5.0 never reaches production in a GT Mustang, Mach 1...Maybe.

The Shelby GT500 by the way weighs nearly 100lbs more than the Camaro....were not the only overwieght Fat Kids lol.

Saying chevys infamous recipe for insuccess equates to squat is hardly a diss on the new camaro. I really dont care enough about the car to talk about it that much, good or bad. If I had to talk about it, Id say its chevys attempt to gain some ground in the market again but it came at the very wrong time thanks to their financial troubles and the economy as a whole. Im not overly concerned about its existance as I doubt it will linger on for that many years before it gets pulled. Even if it was vastly superior to the Mustang in every single way I still wouldnt be trading in my keys any time soon. I know you THINK it beat the Mustang in every way but if you read the C&D article, youll see that the Mustang weighs three hundred pounds less, brakes the same, nearly matches it 0 - 60 (off by a tenth), gets better gas mileage, better Gs by far on the skidpad, is more appropriately sized and shaped, and still has and probably always will have the far superior exhaust note. Some of those are trivial, true, but your initial response would have someone that didnt read the article think that the Mustang shouldnt even have been mentioned in the same magazine... instead of it being declared the top pick of the three by the judges who went over the cars. Maybe you can answer me this since Im sure you know more about the new camaro. Everyone keeps bragging about the V6 having 300 horse.. which I admit is damn impressive.. but whats the torque rating? I honestly dont know but Im assuming it cant be that great with a V6 but who knows. Im just curious on that one. And whats the weight compared to the V8? Theres one at the local dealer Premier Chevrolet but 36K for a V6 seems a bit high. Im assuming because its new and thats not the actual sticker price?? Back to the point at hand, I think if we all got over brand loyalty and looked at it from a clean point of view, wed see that each side put forth what its known for. Chevy put out an insane motor thats a monster. Ford put out a smaller more refined package thats meant to appeal to the masses. Each has its strong points but most people see 4XX horsepower and they assume the camaro is the hands down favorite. Sales will be the true measuring stick and articles like this C&D one prove that theres more to the equation than brute strength. My one reservation about the new Mustang is that only a 15 HP upgrade for a new model is kind of weak sauce. But with the new motors Ford is putting out soon, (see, blueovalnews Coyote 5.0) I think that huge disparity in power will quickly diminish for the first time in a long time between the two cars and then things will really be interesting. Especially if the Mustang stays on its current diet and doesnt get bloated up like the other two contestants.

270 Torque....not bad...and no im not saying the 304 hp 3700lb V6 can beat the Mustang. I agree with what you say mostly. U made a comment about my comments making ppl believe the mustang didnt have chance...... Have you read some of the comments about the Camaro lol.. like I said to each his own brotha

^^^^ you live in Ohio...I clearly stated Texas. Also I said I owned 2 mustangs and my thoughts on the Camaro..were again....my own opinion. Agree to Disagree....and Ill bet the Hurricane 5.0 never reaches production in a GT Mustang, Mach 1...Maybe.

The Shelby GT500 by the way weighs nearly 100lbs more than the Camaro....were not the only overwieght Fat Kids lol.

I know this is just internet talk say take it for what its worth but the 5.0 has been confirmed to be going into the Mustang. I also have talked to guys on a Ford truck website who work for Ford and they say the 4.6 engine plant is being planned on being shutdown come November and that the 5.0 will be for all vehicle brands just as the 4.6 is now i.e. F150, Explorers, etc.

The 6.2 Boss ending up in a Mustang is very much up for debate, that I can agree with although I still think it ends up in a special edition car.

When comparing the wieght of the Z28 to the GT500 I'm assumming the weight will increase on it over the current SS as well and it will. Remember the GT500 has 540 hp now and would have no trouble going higher as say a factory made Super Snake which make 600hp.

I know you stated Texas, just saying its not the same everywhere and my state has been hit very badly by the recession with over 10% unemployment due to a large amount of auto industry here. Yet they still are marking 'em up and selling 'em.

Ford also has big plans to drop weight significantly over all brand lines so the Stang will only get faster and already has about a 400lb head start over the Camaro. But at least we can all say we're not nearly as heavy as the Challenger. :rlaugh:

Everyone keeps bragging about the V6 having 300 horse.. which I admit is damn impressive.. but whats the torque rating? I honestly dont know but Im assuming it cant be that great with a V6 but who knows. Im just curious on that one. And whats the weight compared to the V8?

Ask and ye shall receive.....

These are some numbers I found by searching around google, the weight and torque come directly from Chevy, the 1/4 from motor trend. It looks to be comparable to a New Edge GT like mine. :eek:

V6

3780 lbs
273 tq
14.2 1/4

270 Torque....not bad...and no im not saying the 304 hp 3700lb V6 can beat the Mustang. I agree with what you say mostly. U made a comment about my comments making ppl believe the mustang didnt have chance...... Have you read some of the comments about the Camaro lol.. like I said to each his own brotha

Your comments aren't that bad. You seem to be an all right chap. The V6 will be a respectable car in its own right.

I've perused some Camaro forums and read their street racing stories to some amusment. Apparently the Termi is nothing and getting 500hp with an exhaust, pulley and tune is unbelieveable to them. Also I've seen several stories of 4th gen V6 owners claiming to kill New Edge GT's. I just wanna ask.....did the GT owners know they were racing? There's just no way the V6 beats the GT with both cars stock (as the OP's claim) unless the GT drivers can't drive which is possible.

I agree, theres a lot of pride when it comes to our cars and the brands we give our loyalty too. Some people take it a little too far. For the most part, this thread has been the calmest, most rational one Ive ever seen or been part of. No flaming really, no tall tales. All in all not bad. I say:nice:

I agree, theres a lot of pride when it comes to our cars and the brands we give our loyalty too. Some people take it a little too far. For the most part, this thread has been the calmest, most rational one Ive ever seen or been part of. No flaming really, no tall tales. All in all not bad. I say:nice:

That's because we've got 3 great American Muscle cars for the first time in 40 years. I'm loyal to Mustangs of course, because my family has driven nothing but Fords since I was a kid, and I've had 2 stangs, but no matter which brand you're loyal too, if you are, it's nice to see some great muscle cars out there. :flag:

I agree as well. SS02 seems to be a really top notch guy and someone that I wouldn't mind having a few drinks with nect time I run up to dallas/ft worth.

SS02 - I think the prices all depend on where you are at. I normally go to Dallas to buy my cars as Austin is full over over priced wanna be's.... BUT.. a local ford dealership here has 3 GT500's at sticker (09 models though). They claim to not ask more on the 2010 GT500 too. We will see though. Really the only car I see being asked over sticker around here is the gt500 KR edition. The chevy lot next to the ford lot had a new camaro for over sticker though (want to say $4K). BUT (yes, once again another but) the chevy dealership further north had one for sticker. Now aren't you glad you don't have to buy around my area. LOL!!!

One last thing for you SS02. If you get your 2010 (and it happens to be black) let me know if you ever come down to Austin. I'm seriously trying to get all three of these cars together for a photo opp. I would love to get a photo of all three with their older brothers (69 camaro, 67 fastback, 69 challenger) too but know that it pushing my luck.

^^^^Sounds good, although it wont be till around next may. Black 2SS/RS with Ground efx package and check out this new upgrade
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Well guys the dyno results are in. The first dyno graph is the stock hp#'s. The second graph has our LMR Cold Air Induction System, Stainless Steel 1 7/8 long tube headers with connection pipes, modified factory exhaust(removed resonators) and our stage 2 custom grind cam kit. The third graph is our complete Street Stalker Package that includes:
LMR Cold Air Induction System
A/R 1 7/8 Stainless Steel Headers with connection pipes
MSD 8.5mm Wires
NGK spark plugs
160* Thermostat
Modified Factory mufflers(removed resonators)
LMR Stage 3 custom grind cam kit
Prototype 25% Underdrive Pulley Kit
All gaskets/Crank Bolt
Oil change with filter

Street Stalker Package Installed and Tuned for $5,999.99

YouTube - Late Model Racecraft's Street Stalker Start Up Vid for 2010 Camaro SS!!!
2010CamaroStockstg2camheadersstg3.jpg