2010 coyote engine details KILLER!!!

billfisher

Jul 17, 2005
huntsville, AL
someone else scanned them so im just posting the link but there are some imprtant things in there....

the news about the heads is beginning to find its way to the public. to quote the engineer who designed it....

"the coyote head at a given lift actually outflows a yates D3 head" - adam christian

a yates D3 \ head at .475" lift flows about 355 cfm. thats right 355 cfm

http://image.musclemustangfastfords.com/f/8805023/0609_MMFP_06Z+D3_type_head+flow_graph.jpg

that means we're out flow brand X,Y,Z. - adam christian

16.9" runner are tuned for 6500. they use second order harmanics. the taper of these runners is what determines high rpm band, not short runners. they get the torque of long runners but the power of tunnel port runners.

look at the article's pictures of the head design....look at the intake port angle.

it should look familiar to 3V guys. its straight vertical. there is ONLY a 45 degree turn into the cylinders. this is F1 stuff. formula one style intake ports. im only saying f1 style.

a 45 degree short turn is about as good as possible. it doesnt suprise me it flows like it does. AND there's more to it.

extremely high flow numbers on tumble port is necessary for maximum cylinder filling. the actual volume that fills the cylinders. Al detailed why its that way. the air charge is attemting to overshoot the valves.

well forward to 2010. take the same valve size, deshroud it, and change the port angle from about 80 to only 45 degrees. you get cylinder filling just like 3v. BUT if it flows 355cfm at max lift you have a high flow AND maximum filling.

http://s42.photobucket.com/albums/e346/tbi0904/50 article/

• Sponsors (?)

the motor was tested with all of the factory conditions. it will be SAE certified.

as far as the heads go, the engineer speaks for himself. they outflow yates D3. it means what is means.

if they outflow in 25" depression they will outflow in 28".

the engineers said GT supercar and gt500 heads were simply not enough.

i remember when Ed olin and hat bunch made a 4.6 4v into a v10. they could not get a green light.

this bunch used corporate green lights to go all the way. they pulled one on the bean counters. thats my feel for what happened here.

LS anything heads are outflowed a much lower lifts.

I grabbed an issue off the stand at the grocery store last week too. Very impressive article, this is no puff piece - tons of fascinating info and lots of depth.

The Coyote is quite an achievement for Ford, both technically and what they accomplished in such a short time frame. I was wondering how they managed to develop two new V8 engines at the same time, but using the Modular as a starting point for the Coyote gave them a big head start and being able to produce them with the same tooling is a huge savings in money and in time retooling.

They've basically fixed every flaw they'd uncovered over the lifespan of the Modular series and improved everything else (aside from the inherent limitations of the narrow bore spacing on future displacement growth) on a proven and already pretty good engine family to begin with and stuffed what they've learned from other engine families, like the 3.7L V6, in there too along with a few more cam phasing tricks. And, they've still got a couple of power, emissions and economy tricks up their sleeves for down the road - direct injection, displacement-on-demand, and of course... turbo charging :drool:

My SOHC 2V seems old all of a sudden :( How soon till Coyote and 6.2L Boss engine swap candidates start showing up in the junkyard :banana:

my choice would be a 5.0 coyote. 500hp all motor should be possible. its really an improved fr500c motor. the heads are better than fr500's. there should be race style intakes as soon as it hits the streets.

the BOSS 302 - GT grand-am series stang uses a different intake for racing. i'll buy it no matter what it costs, use it on mine.

i bet not much, but you have to think differently. we are talking dynamic compression here. overlap the cams and cylinder pressure is bled off, so REAL cylinder pressure can be made lower than 8:1 static.

retard the exhaust cams to increase overlap AND reduce charge motion.

open valve injection means emmsions do not take a hit because there is no fuel until late in the cycle.

tuning is infinite. if you wanna impress your buddies dial in idle overlap for race-cam lope.

The only downfall to this engine, and I mean the only... is that it doesn't get fully forged internals. The rods are the same type as 2v, 3v, and 4v... powdered metal. You think Ford would have gotten that right, but who knows, maybe that will be a little bit stouter.

Either way, with the high compression this engine makes it won't be too much of a high boost engine. However, it will respond to nitrous like a heroin addict responds to a lifetime supply of the ooze and a bunker full of needles.