2011 5.0 Issue

csmckee

Oct 26, 2010
What's up folks. Got a couple issues that I want your opinions on.

I currently have a C&L intake, tune required, on my 5.0 4V. I have had the car tuned by Henson Performance here in Birmingham, although I am currently running the strategy tune provided by SCT. Today I received two check engine lights which both stated the #8 cylinder had missed. I am going to take it in on Monday to let the dealership check it out. Here's my question; will it be ok for me to drive my car with the factory tune in the car and the C&L intake installed? Do you think it would be better for me to put the stock airbox back on the car before taking it in?

I'm pretty cool with my Ford dealer and I doubt they will car about the intake and tuning. They had my car for three weeks because of the clutch issues that some them had.

Thanks for your input.

• Sponsors (?)

What's up folks. Got a couple issues that I want your opinions on.

I currently have a C&L intake, tune required, on my 5.0 4V. I have had the car tuned by Henson Performance here in Birmingham, although I am currently running the strategy tune provided by SCT. Today I received two check engine lights which both stated the #8 cylinder had missed. I am going to take it in on Monday to let the dealership check it out. Here's my question; will it be ok for me to drive my car with the factory tune in the car and the C&L intake installed? Do you think it would be better for me to put the stock airbox back on the car before taking it in?

I'm pretty cool with my Ford dealer and I doubt they will car about the intake and tuning. They had my car for three weeks because of the clutch issues that some them had.

Thanks for your input.

If you CAN put the stock box back on and tune, I would do that. Here I am close to Steeda, so a lot of dealers have no problems with work done by Steeda to the car. You have to make the call based on YOUR dealer.
RC

The dealer will blame the cai and tune once they see it or if they can detect that it was once on there. Some advisors are cool but also don't like to be deceived. Dealers don't trust aftermarket parts. Even if they try to diagnose the car they will need everything at factory settings to see if the miss is due to factory settings. I know the Moss Act thing but the warranty specifically states there be no alteration to the factory computer.

When I had the issue with the clutch, I worked directly with the service manager. He seems to be pretty cool and I doubt he would try and void my warranty.

I have returned everything back to stock. I will also remove the battery for 20 minutes as well.

While I was working on her I decided to pull the #8 spark plug. It has oil all over it. I pulled all of the other plugs and none of them have oil on it.

Do you think the oil being pushed through the air return lines from the heads to the intake is the cause? If it was, wouldn't it be on all the plugs?

if an SCT tuner is used on a car can the dealer detect that it was "tuned" even after you put the factory tune back on?

They should be able to, but it's not "automatic". They have to specifically looko and see if that's the case. Also remember that the dealers get paid by FORD to do warranty work, so they have a reason to do work to your cars. Down here, they look for things to replace under warranty work. Before My wifes 03 Navigator warranty expired, the dealer did like $1000 in work to it on things that were "not perfect".

RC