2011 GT Auto Trans sluggish at times

thellmer

Jun 10, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I have about 3000 miles on my GT now and ever since I have had it the transmission has seemed quirky when it's cold. Very slow to go into gear if its been a few days since driving it. Almost like the old automatics when the filter was dirty or low on fluid. When you put it in gear and press on the accelerator, it very slowly moves itself forward or backwards for several feet for about 15-20 secs. Once it warms up it's fine. I've been putting off making a service appt thinking maybe after it breaks in it will get better but it's starting to worry me. Anyone else having this problem with the auto 6 speed? I live in NYC so I don't drive it but every now and then and getting a service appt can be a pain.

• Sponsors (?)

Looks like this is normal for this auto. Need a nice auto tune and the problems will be gone. Bama, and VMP have done some nice auto tunes. You also have Brenspeed, Evo, Livernois, Lethal, BBR you can look into.

Sluggish auto transmission

Problems like your are posted in various forums across the net. I am having problems with mine also, though they are not the same problems. Mine down shifts off throttle at 70 mph. Also hard 2-1 down shifts. Dealer doesn't have a clue. transmission man is suspect after talking to him, he says it's my driving style.

Well I can definitely say its not my driving style. Like I said in my email to you, my car is now in NYC, parked in the garage of my apt building, and I take it out maybe once every 2 months and every time it still does this same thing - takes 15-30 seconds to actually go fully into gear when you first move it out of park after it has sat for more than a few hours. The car has 3600 miles on it - half of them came from driving it here from Arkansas - and since I rarely drive it I never think about it except when I do get in, and then its always a Saturday or Sunday and by Monday I have forgotten about it again. Plus I won't drive it when the streets are wet, when its raining, icy, misty, cloudy, etc lol and up here this winter that has limited my driving opportunities. It sits in the garage under a car cover like brand new - never been driven in the rain a single time yet. When it warms up and dries outside I'll take it in.

I haven't experienced any of those issues yet (only 500 miles), but the tranny does seem a little lazy for a car with 400+ horsepower.

Question for those of you with a "tune"... does the tune make them shift faster or spin the tires when they hit 2nd gear? Or is there some sort of a shift kit for these?

Might check the fluid level. When it's cold the fluid has a lower level than once the fluid is warm. If it's bordline low then this could be the culprit. I run mine an extra 1/4 quart over.