2011 GT Shifting Issue

black'd_out5.oh

Jun 7, 2010
I don't want to start a rant about how the 2011's have issues like some others have, but I'm just looking for anyone else who is having the same issue.

What I have:
2011 GT spec301A
Manual Trans
3.55's
Brembo's

The Issue:
When shifting from 1st to 2nd (at any RPM) there seems to be some restriction. It feels similar to when the 1 to 4 skip shift (which I despise by the way) kicks in at 17 mph. Shifting from 2nd to 3rd and so on is flawless. It almost feels as if the synchronizers in the tranny aren't engaging(?) as quickly as they should. It doesn't really affect the drivability of the car except when I want to shift real quick. I have driven another 5.0/manual and there is no hesitation from 1st to 2nd, so I know that something is a bit off. I'm thinking the linkage needs to be adjusted, there is a malfunction in the skip shift mechanism, or (God forbid) a tranny issue.

Post if you have an idea, or a similar experience.
I'm taking it to the dealership first thing next week to have them check it out.

Again, I know that this is a first gen engine/transmission and there are problems associated with that, but I'm just curious if anyone else is experiencing this so I can say bull**** if the dealership says there is no problem.

Thanks All,
B

• Sponsors (?)

Yep, same thing here. 2011 5.0 with 6 speed and 3:73's. I describe it as notchy from 1st to 2nd. Seems to do it when its "cold" meaning if I start the car, let it run for 20 seconds or so and go the shift from 1st to 2nd is notchy. Just as you described, like there is something blocking it from going into 2nd gear. Mine is going in for a ticking motor tomorrow so I'll have them look into this also. Just doesnt seem right. :notnice:

I am having a similar issue, but the notchiness never goes away. Doesn't matter if it's a slow or fast shift into 2nd, or if I'm sitting still and just moving the shifter into 2nd. I'm also finding it weird to get into 2nd gear when taking a left turn at any speed. It seems that I almost always go into 4th instead by accident.

I'm thinking that I'm just going to skip second until I can get it in to get it looked at. I was actually wondering if the new Steeda shifter would solve anything for me.

I have the same issue with my 5.0, 355 gears. I thought it was just me until I read this thread. My tranny started making a nice whining noise at 1500 miles. Took it in to the dealership to get an oil change at 3k miles. Yep, they are replacing the transmission under warranty. I pick the car up tomorrow. They won't tell me what was wrong, they just said there is no fix so they were replacing the entire transmission.

I have the same issue with my 5.0, 355 gears. I thought it was just me until I read this thread. My tranny started making a nice whining noise at 1500 miles. Took it in to the dealership to get an oil change at 3k miles. Yep, they are replacing the transmission under warranty. I pick the car up tomorrow. They won't tell me what was wrong, they just said there is no fix so they were replacing the entire transmission.

- did this fix the problem?

I don't want to start a rant about how the 2011's have issues like some others have, but I'm just looking for anyone else who is having the same issue.

What I have:
2011 GT spec301A
Manual Trans
3.55's
Brembo's

The Issue:
When shifting from 1st to 2nd (at any RPM) there seems to be some restriction. It feels similar to when the 1 to 4 skip shift (which I despise by the way) kicks in at 17 mph. Shifting from 2nd to 3rd and so on is flawless. It almost feels as if the synchronizers in the tranny aren't engaging(?) as quickly as they should. It doesn't really affect the drivability of the car except when I want to shift real quick. I have driven another 5.0/manual and there is no hesitation from 1st to 2nd, so I know that something is a bit off. I'm thinking the linkage needs to be adjusted, there is a malfunction in the skip shift mechanism, or (God forbid) a tranny issue.

Post if you have an idea, or a similar experience.
I'm taking it to the dealership first thing next week to have them check it out.

Again, I know that this is a first gen engine/transmission and there are problems associated with that, but I'm just curious if anyone else is experiencing this so I can say bull**** if the dealership says there is no problem.

Thanks All,
B

My trans is the same exact way. Shifting into 2nd is always a crap shoot if I'm going to grind the gear or not. 5% of the time it'll go in smooth, no grinding, like nothing is wrong. But the rest of the time, the shifter will buck in my hand for a split second as it grinds itself into gear. I hate it, but oh well. If the transmission goes bad, it'll be covered under warranty.

That's what you get for cheap Chinese ****.

- did this fix the problem?

New transmission has a little over 1k miles on it now. The noise is gone, obviously. But the restriction is still there, and for a reason. Ford said its supposed to be like that, due to the "shift from first to fourth" idea. Its supposed to help you go into fourth easier. Retarded if you ask me. It causes me to miss shift and just throw it in neutral when I'm at the track. Anyway, just telling you what my local Ford dealer told me.