2011 GT Shifting Issue

Discussion in '2010 - 2014 Specific Tech' started by black'd_out5.oh, Oct 1, 2010.

1. mustangford289

mustangford289 Founding Member

Showcase:
    Albums:
  2. FordCustSrvc

FordCustSrvc Member

Hi bbb455,

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I believe you are referring to Skip Shift, which locks out 2 (Second) and 3 (Third) gears for improved fuel economy. It uses vehicle speed, RPM and load on the engine to determine the ideal time to shift. If you are still concerned about your shifting, please let me know. Have a good afternoon!

~Natasha
  3. Az Pete

Az Pete Member

I unplugged mine. Easy job, no more skip shift.....tranny is operating great. I do a test shift nearly every time I drive it.....works as it should all the way to....well, into 5th at high rpms.......and 10,600 miles now.
  4. 2011Stang

2011Stang New Member

Just wanted to update.
    Car is at 17k now and it had been grinding into 2nd and 3rd since I got it. 2 weeks ago it started grinding in 5th and steadily got worse. Eventually I couldnt use 5th at all. Took it in to dealer and the tore it down . Lots of metal shavings, doing a rebuild. The dealer is being very helpful but it would have been nice if it was taken care of last year when instead of being told that it was normal operation.
  5. Az Pete

Az Pete Member

Just unplug the skip shift and be done with it. I did that to mine and have had 12,000+ miles trouble free.....
  6. Paleridr50

Paleridr50 New Member

Showcase:
    Albums:
    Started having the same problem a couple hundred miles ago. Have a Hurst short throw installed and it makes no difference.
  7. gotven0m

gotven0m Founding Member

Showcase:
    Albums:
    Found this thread through google... I know it's old, but just wanted to chime in that I have a 2014 and it still has the same problem.

Sometimes second grinds for no apparent reason. Seems to grind more consistently when making a left hand turn.
  8. Beast5.0GT

Beast5.0GT New Member

I was having the same problem and did A LOT of research and could not find just one direct fix. So I took it to 2 different dealers and they said it was OK. I decided to research what Ford uses for their shifter bracket and found out it is a cheap flimsy metal bracket that is REALLY zip tied together from the dealer. So I decided to order a Barton 2 post shifter bracket and the Barton short throw shifter package (you have to unbolt the shifter bracket to install the short shifter so might as well do them both at the same time.) now I am not getting anymore grinds from 1st to 2nd and I am not missing 2nd to 3rd. The only downside to the 2 post shifter bracket is the reverse is much harder to get into and switching gears is a little louder. I actually like the sound. They say it gets quiet with time. You can see plenty of videos on YouTube about this. I'll be posting a video review of before and after to my YouTube channel soon.
  9. FastRedPonyCar

FastRedPonyCar Founding Member

Check his sig. He's got the barton bracket already.

I would say that the whiteline transmission bushing insert may help. I noticed an improvement when I put that in mine.