2011 Mustang on the Dyno!!! 395 rwhp

there comes a time in a mans life when fast doesnt really matter anymore, it kinda like when you date a girl with D cups for a year or two, big kazongas don't matter much anymore after that because you've had em and you know the problems with em.

I just wanna clarify, big kazongas always matter. ALWAYS. Always. I mean ALWAYS. Trust me. Always. Because, like my Festiva, what happens when you find yourself without them? You realize you've taken them for granted and then that's all you want. They matter. They always matter. Always.

• Sponsors (?)

Yea, I believe this platform will be around for a while, but I'd be willing to bet that this NA, traditionally-injected engine won't be around for too long. They intentionally designed this engine with provisions for design changes down the road, so I would be surprised if this Coyote lasts 5 years without some sort of a change. I mean, words like "boost" and "direct injection" have been tossed around a LOT in the interviews with the engineers behind the Coyote.

I think you may be missing the point a little.. Just trying to understand so don't take this as me attacking whatsoever.

I think the engine will be around for a long time, - if they do head revisions, add boost, or DI, that does not change the basics of this engine. I'm sure our 5.0's and windsor engines went through changes in less then 5 years. I wouldn't be surprised if in a year or two a revised coyote came out. Hell the 5.0 in our foxes between 87-93 changed quite a bit. Heads, EGR stuff, cam's etc.

If you guys think back to the '60s, engines came and gone is a matter of a few years. Look how long the Cammer 427 lasted and how badass that was. Granted it never got into a production car but still. Look at how the 427/428/429 engines came and went. Anyone wanna count how many different engines the Fox Mustang alone had? Still, i think this engine will be around at least a decade. The 4.6 was, and i've read that the Coyote has direct injection and ecoboost in its future and that alone will give it some longevity.

Just doing my part to shut down the dumb ass "pushrods rule"...."yeah, but all I have to do is build a stroker"...."LSX swap blah, blah, blah" comments before they start. :D

The new 5.0 is quite impressive. I'm interested to see how it responds to thing like heads, cams and an intake.

As long as we're still on the same page that LSX still owns everything. Other than bbc anyway.

The new 5.0 is quite impressive. I'm interested to see how it responds to thing like heads, cams and an intake.

As long as we're still on the same page that LSX still owns everything. Other than bbc anyway.

Actually, I don't think we're on the same page at all? :scratch:

Aftermarket cam grinds down the road I could see, but why would it need heads, or an intake? You do realize that the new 4V Coyote heads are the best flowing off the shelf heads Ford has produced to date, right? As it is, they outflow the current GT500 heads by 3%. That's nearly 340cfm? Why in gods name at this stage of the game would you need them to move any more than that? That's capable of moving more volume than any off the shelf and even most ported LS 1, 2, or 3 castings available.

And you just had to add that last part, didn't you? :D You LSX fan boys would love to believe that their engines are still cream of the crop, but at peaks levels, the LSX engines (depending on the head configuration and displacement) are reaching 70-90% volumetric efficiency at best. That doesn't quite cut it when you consider this new Coyote is seeing upwards of 90-100% volumetric efficiency for more than half its power band and upwards of 110% volumetric efficiency at peak torque.

Make all the excuses and all the "what if's" you'd like, but there's a reason that the 5.0L Coyote is making as much horsepower and torque as the current 6.2L LS3 with a full 1.2L less displacement. :)

You don't know much about factory LS7 heads huh...

You don't know much about reading comprehension, huh? Show me where I mentioned the LS7 heads? :shrug:

Its funny you needed to pull heads feeding a 427ci ZO6, to an even bigger 454ci big bore/stroked crate engine to compete with the heads on a little 302ci Ford mill. And even then they only outflow the Coyote heads by 3% for all that displacement they feed.

Tell me again why I should be impressed that a big inch engine is fed by big inch heads again? :scratch:

anyone have flow numbers for the coyote heads?

The Coyote head is said to outflow the Yates D3 heads, which flow 355cfm @ .475, so count on 360cfm or more from these new castings.

For comparision sake, off the shelf L92 heads flow about 325-330cfm on average.
im doing this because i can, pushrods rule
All hale the ford and LSx pushrod engine

Guess it was only a matter of time. :rolleyes:

I haven't been excited about a new Mustang in some time.

You can bet your a$$ I'll be at the Ford dealer test driving the new 5.0 when it arrives :nice:

Still, I grew up with the Fox cars so they will always be my favorite, regardless of what comes down the pike.

Can someone who is a dyno operator please explain how a dynojet works if you are not using a gear that is 1:1?

Quote:
"Peak numbers are 365 lb-ft of torque at 4,350 rpm and 395 hp at 6,600 rpm. All of these at-the-wheels figures were obtained in 4th gear on a Dynojet 248 chassis dyno and include a 3% SAE weather correction factor."

From the Ford Spec sheet.

1st 3.66
2nd 2.43
3rd 1.69
4th 1.32
5th 1.00
6th 0.65
Final drive 3.31:1

http://media.ford.com/images/10031/2011_Mustang_GT_Specs.pdf

There's a simple reason why the dyno run was done in 4th. It's the highest gear that could be used and still take the engine to the 7000rpm redline. Fifth gear would have fallen short and not given full dyno curves.