2011 Paint Problems!

Bryan Knouse

Apr 1, 2014
Hello,
I am new to the board. I have a 2011 convertible and love it. I was wondering if anyone else has had issues w/ their paint. I have paint bubbles forming on the hood above each headlight. From what I understand this is due to oxidation/rust from the welding process. The local dealer submitted a claim for me. Ford claims this is not part covered under the corosion warranty because there are not holes in the paint. They have offered to cover half the cost of sanding and repainting my hood. I find this to be unacceptable it doesn't solve the problem. The car is a daily driver but has been garage kept for its entire life. I feel like the real solution is a new hood. Especially since Ford knows of this defect. Any suggestions? Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

There are a million threads on this . It is caused by the hood being contaminated by tiny pieces of iron. The iron rusts and the paint bubbles. There is a TSB for the issue covering 05-07s Mustangs as well as other Ford products with aluminum hoods.I know that doesn't cover your car, but it seem to be the same issue. Its TSB # 06-25-15. It is not covered by the rust through warranty, but it should be covered by the 3/36 bumper to bumper. You didn't say if you car is still covered or not. If it is you should not have to pay at all .If your out then I would print the TSB and insist that if they are making you pay for 1/2 the repair, at the very least you want it fixed as prescribed by the TSB. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I am out of the 3/36, but barely under the 5/60 warranty. It seems to me like I should still be covered under the 5/60. Rust is rust weather its chewed holes all the way through or not yet. It's been a nightmare dealing with the dealership about this. The dealership told me that there was no loaner available while they made the repair because I didn't buy the car from that particular dealership. So on top of paying for 1/2 the repair that is clearly caused by a manufactures defect I would have to pay for a rental car for 3-4 days while they did the repairs. I don't think so. As much as I love my Mustang, I think I'm about finished w/ Ford. I can't even get a call back from the regional service folks. I've been told 3 times she would call and haven't heard a peep.

Paint isn't covered by either, paint has its own 5yr perforation warranty. Are you under 5yrs? If so and it is paint perforation then yo have a knucklehead service advisor and a douche Ford rep. Try again. TSB's wont do :poo:, TSB is only active for the specified model years, dont waste printer ink or breath.

^ I know the TSB doesn't cover his model year. Which is why I said "There is a TSB for the issue covering 05-07s Mustangs as well as other Ford products with aluminum hoods.I know that doesn't cover your car...." Even if it did, it still wouldn't mean :poo: since he is out of warranty. I only suggested that he look at the TSB and insist that the dealership follow the repair procedure laid out by the TSB so he doesn't have the same problem down the road. Which is exactly what will happen if they just sand it an respray it.
Unless it has changed since I was a Ford service writer, and according to the warranty section of Ford's website it hasn't

Paint Warranty
Your paint surface warranty begins and ends at the same time as your Ford basic warranty. Simply check your vehicle's service portfolio (formerly Warranty & Service Guide) for the warranty periods for your vehicle.

Paint defects are covered by the 3/36 bumper to bumper warranty. The perforation warranty is for rust through and is 5 years unlimited. Personally I think Ford should step up and repair any vehicle with this issue that is less then 5 years old.

Last edited:
Dont worry, paint on 08 Mustangs can crack and peel off the front and rear bumpers and not be covered by Ford.

Paint has gotten worse not better. The single stage red on my 79 Capri looked good for 14 years, and had no failures, just fading.

Paint peeled off my 88 Plymouth Voyager in big sheets in 91. The clear failed on the hood of my 02 Explorer, and required respray two years ago.

Bullitts bumpers are cracked and failing.

Just deal with it.

Remember, every Mustang's great grandmother was a 61 Ford Falcon, and the family history is pretty clear. Still love them.

I have the same issue with my 2011 hood and the paint chipping around the antenna. They told me its covered by the three year warranty. i'm not over miles but timed out. they started a case but never called me back.