2011 V6s are gonna piss me off I know it

• Sponsors (?)

yea, it kinda bug's me to know that a new v-6 is putting out the same power as my 98 cobra and like the ^ guy said if they weren't faster then I'd be pi$$ed at ford for screwing off and not doing there job , but I have spent a small fortune on my cobra over the past winter and spring Englishtown,NJ swap meet was kind to me this year > :)
so when I pull up next to a new v-6 or any new stang I'll be drooling on the inside
but the bottle will be open and the bull sh1t stops when the light turns green

The fact that these older gen. cars are easy to work on, just says that they were meant to be extremely modded. The newer ones not as much, a cold air intake sets a mil for the S197s, some older cars you could crash into a tree and still not get an engine light. Fact remains, yea they have more horsepower but, at what cost to the average gearhead owner. I bet it would cost a small blue collar fortune to upgrade the 2011, and then once you do what else has to be done to the car to get Uncle Sam off your back if the mod effects the emmisions just a little bit.

I know it will happen in my two valve 4.6. Hmmm....... I do have a nitrous kit laying around.

It's okay though, I just put twisted wedge heads and a new cam in my 68 coupe with a 5 speed. I don't think a 2011 V6 will bother me much in that. :D

In the end, it's only money. Do what you want to do. I'd get a new car. If I were in a position to buy a 2011GT, it would be a no brainer.

i think eventually the hp on new cars can only get so high before gas mileage is effected. mose high hp cars suffer poor gas mileage. all the mecedies amg and the bmw m cars with big advanced engines, some with blowers and turbos all have poor gas milage. i do give the newer cars credit though. so far they have been making good hp with good gas mileage. however, there are 2 factors. 1 they really dont make the claimed mileage. 2 the hp power limit is near. just opinion:shrug:

The sad part about the horsepower wars is it can only go so far. Eventually it will have to stop somewhere. soon you will buy a car on looks and handling because they will all have equal horsepower! I mean can you really see everyday street cars getting much over like 700-800hp from the factory? Modding them will become pointless!

The worst thing about the new engines is with the high compression the days of just throwing on a blower out of the box may be gone. And the new 5.0 basically has th same weak rods we do in the 4.6. So how far can you even push it past the stock horsepower rating?!

Again, if you havn't had your car fully paid for, the payments plus dealer prices on parts and or install. I still say work w/what you got, don't try to get the latest new thing. Those cars are gonna have bugs, just wait and see through all the hype.

I would bet your life that a 13-year-old GT with 100K + on it is going to have more bugs to deal with than a brand new car. Payments be damned!

You make it sound as though an old SN95 is somehow a better investment than the '11 V6/GT simply because its paid for? Make no mistake.....besides the fact that the new Mustangs are vastly superior in quality and design to the earlier models in every way, you're also getting a brand new car for all those "car payments" and not sinking your hard earned cabbage into a vehicle that's best years are long behind it.

It has nothing to do with "hype" and everything to do with practicality!
The worst thing about the new engines is with the high compression the days of just throwing on a blower out of the box may be gone. And the new 5.0 basically has th same weak rods we do in the 4.6. So how far can you even push it past the stock horsepower rating?!

Companies have already started producing "off the shelf" blowers for the '11 GT's with great success. Pre-production numbers of seeing over 500hp with as little as 5psi are already being talked about.

As far as the engines go....the new Coyote engine does not have the same tooth brush like rods that our current 4.6L's do. They're not fully forged H-Beam rods like found in the '03-'04 Cobra, but they're of a better design and build from beefier material making them a far sight more stout than our previous 2V and 3V engines were saddled with.

It is quite sad that I have all the mods that I do, and soon stock v6 stangs will be knocking at my window...

From what I've seen of the new V6, it doesn't look like you've got anything to be ashamed of. A lot of V6 powered cars (and even I4's) have been faster than many V8's for years. It seems that it’s just taken Ford a little while to catch up to the rest. I think if anything, we should be happy about this. Now we've not only got 2 choices for fast pony cars (The GT and Shelby) but a third with "spirited" performance is now an option that doesn't bust us right down to "econobox" status when doing so. :nice:

well a $450-$500 a month car payment is not going to happen > I don't care what kinda car it is > I can swing it and I have no plans ever of doing it > I'd much rather keep my (tired 63,000 miles) 98 cobra and put 3-4k in to a built 5.0 stroker motor and put a new SS or 2011 gt on it's ear than sit at home on the week-ends because I have to be a penny pincher or save to make my car payment . like most have said it's totally your choice but > hey mine's payed for and looks dam good sitting in my drive way and a Nitrous kit or supercharger is still cheap compared to a new cars cost

the v6 STARTS at 305hp. they are nowhere near tapped out. larger throttle bodt, 4" cai, tune, x-pipe, long tubes, 7500rpm redline, pullies, you better figure 300rwhp from bolt-ons. they trow in gears. lights out. torque matters unless gearing is optimized. there are pleny of 96-98 cobra's running 12's with 4.30's. the v6 will be no different.

times change guys. get a v6 or coyote.

and what if the v6 guys get their heads ported and flow 355+ cfm like the coyote. and add a blower. 500rwhp if the internals can take it. i know the 3.5 ecoboost and 435rwhp.

The sad part about the horsepower wars is it can only go so far. Eventually it will have to stop somewhere. soon you will buy a car on looks and handling because they will all have equal horsepower! I mean can you really see everyday street cars getting much over like 700-800hp from the factory? Modding them will become pointless!

the new motor makes 500 hp from low boost. funny everyone thinks forged cracked cap powdered metal rods HAVE to be weak. nobody thinks chevy LS rods are weak. they are the same metalurgy. the DESIGN limits of early modular rods only practically need to handle 300hp from 2v, and 400hp from 3v/4v. thats all they were designed to be safe.

design the same rod for 600hp and its does fine. read some metalurgy man. all of you need to.

the 500hp is shelby numbers and some whipple. i have heard 550 hp is safe with 7psi. thats 1.476 bar boost. or about 47 percent more airflow. 47percent more than whatever the intake tract can flow n/a. 412hp is about 37 lb-minute with the coyote's efficiency. 55lb-minute at boost. depending on VE and BSFC at boost we are talking well OVER 550hp. reduce VE from pulling timing and 550hp is totally believable.

coyote pistons have oil squirters. a lot of 4.6 blow ups are ring butting, and piston hot-spots. oil squirters eliminate that issue.

shelby is focusing on the supersnake and gt350 from now on. 500hp gt350 and 740hp supersnake. there is no need for a gt500 any more at only 550hp. a gt350 weighs far less and only has 50 less hp.

coyote heads also have revised cross flow cooling. no more hotspots in the chambers like the dreaded brow in 2v.

From what I've seen of the new V6, it doesn't look like you've got anything to be ashamed of. A lot of V6 powered cars (and even I4's) have been faster than many V8's for years. It seems that it’s just taken Ford a little while to catch up to the rest. I think if anything, we should be happy about this. Now we've not only got 2 choices for fast pony cars (The GT and Shelby) but a third with "spirited" performance is now an option that doesn't bust us right down to "econobox" status when doing so. :nice:

Badass Cougar you got there :eek: I loved my 5.0 Cougar; I wish I still had it :(

Yes, the '11 V6 and V8 Mustangs are better in every way, but to some people a car payment really isn't worth it, especially to me. A trade in might help, but insurance will probably be high as well. All the same, the aftermarket is bigger for the earlier cars, and parts and info are more readily available- that counts for A LOT.