2012 Shelby! What she gonna trap?? :)

• Sponsors (?)

Personally, I don't see the point in having 800hp on a street car with 'summer' tires. I saw something before comparing the previous Shelby to several 600-800hp versions and the 0-60 times were identical or even slower for the higher hp versions. Eventually, the higher power cars would pull a few tenths better in the quarter, but no where near as much gain as would be expected because of the limits of traction.

It comes down to this: spinning your tires at 70mph is fun the first couple times you do it, but gets annoying fast because the car DOESN'T WORK. On a factory optioned car, they must make it safe, so you won't be getting drag radials or a suspension capable of hooking the power... just an aggressive traction control system to keep you pointed straight. And with 56% of the static weight on the nose, you will need a suspension to transfer the weight to reasonably hook 800hp at the expense of handling and cornering. These are all things you will have to fix AFTER paying 90k for the car.

Just remember, the 0-60mph time is king; at the track or on the street. Even with 800hp, I don't think these cars will be close to playing with a stock ZO6 vette in the real word. The vette has bigger tires, a 50/50 weight distribution, and a drivetrain/suspension package that hooks. All these equal a better 0-60 time and a more fun car to drive

Personally, I don't see the point in having 800hp on a street car with 'summer' tires. I saw something before comparing the previous Shelby to several 600-800hp versions and the 0-60 times were identical or even slower for the higher hp versions. Eventually, the higher power cars would pull a few tenths better in the quarter, but no where near as much gain as would be expected because of the limits of traction.

It comes down to this: spinning your tires at 70mph is fun the first couple times you do it, but gets annoying fast because the car DOESN'T WORK. On a factory optioned car, they must make it safe, so you won't be getting drag radials or a suspension capable of hooking the power... just an aggressive traction control system to keep you pointed straight. And with 56% of the static weight on the nose, you will need a suspension to transfer the weight to reasonably hook 800hp at the expense of handling and cornering. These are all things you will have to fix AFTER paying 90k for the car.

Just remember, the 0-60mph time is king; at the track or on the street. Even with 800hp, I don't think these cars will be close to playing with a stock ZO6 vette in the real word. The vette has bigger tires, a 50/50 weight distribution, and a drivetrain/suspension package that hooks. All these equal a better 0-60 time and a more fun car to drive
Nicely put :nice:

I would say true for straight from the showroom...but realistically how many people will go buy a beefed up stang like that and keep the factory tires???? Heck I think even from a slow roll it would walk on a stock z06. 800hp even in a 4500lb car still is better power to weight than a z06 hahaha. and it will not weigh 4500lbs either. But I agree it will spin a good bit on stock tires only because the stock tires are always garbage for the application.

I mean we are all gear heads here how long do you think a stock 800hp GT500 will stay like that lol. i dont think ford is gonna let chevy run away with this one either lol.

I think you would be surprised how many people buy this car and don't modify it a bit. The car is going to cost something like $90k plus whatever dealer mark up. It will end up in the hands of the wealthy who own it for the sake of owning the most expensive and powerful mustang ever made, yet have no interest in driving or racing it.

I would say true for straight from the showroom...but realistically how many people will go buy a beefed up stang like that and keep the factory tires???? Heck I think even from a slow roll it would walk on a stock z06. 800hp even in a 4500lb car still is better power to weight than a z06 hahaha. and it will not weigh 4500lbs either. But I agree it will spin a good bit on stock tires only because the stock tires are always garbage for the application.

0-60 is a meaningless number in cars with over ~200 hp.

And it was my understanding the 2012 GT500 will have ~550 hp, the Shelby GT500 Super Snake is the car with 800 hp.

Yeah... I think someone in this thread is lost (maybe me :shrug: )...

The GT 500 is 550 HP (give or take) and that VERY car is purchased, sent to Shelby, and CONVERTED to the 750HP or 800HP Super Snake.

I've not heard of any intentions by Ford for producing an 800HP factory GT 500 Mustang. :eek:

I'm more confused about how 0-60 times don't matter? lol.

If its sent to shelby and then turned into a 'super snake,' I assume they will be beefing the car up significantly to be able to put the power down.

All that said though, I'd still take a S351R or Cobra R over it any day.

It will be a 13 second car, it's still gonna be heavy from the factory and even if its optioned out with better suspension and larger tires it won't hook up.

It will be a 13 second car, it's still gonna be heavy from the factory and even if its optioned out with better suspension and larger tires it won't hook up.

I don't know why people say that. With a set of tires, the 2011 GT500s with "only" 550 horsepower are running VERY strong.

Here's a guy I know locally running bottom 11s with a BONE STOCK 2011 GT500 with slicks/skinnies only. YouTube - 2011 gt500 stock 11.16 at 124mph I saw that car go 11.10 one day on a 'bad' launch and only a 500 feet DA. I suspect that under perfect conditions, it could run a 10 second pass with no power or weight modifications at all.

I suspect that 300 more horsepower (or close to it) will net a car capable of running very low 10s, maybe high 9s, trapping mid-upper 130s. This, of course, is only going to happen with the proper tire setup.

It will end up in the hands of the wealthy who own it for the sake of owning the most expensive and powerful mustang ever made, yet have no interest in driving or racing it.

come down here and see if you think the same way, us "rednecks" will run anything, ive seen a few super snake's, 100k dollar AMG's, Porsche's and gt40's run the 1/4

it will be a 13 second car, it's still gonna be heavy from the factory and even if its optioned out with better suspension and larger tires it won't hook up.

your car is a "mid 13 second car", the 2012 super snake will run 10's with just a set of tires, i guarantee it.......