2013 Gt500 Vs Zl-1

• Sponsors (?)

Both perform well, however one is ugly and overweight with a horrible interior and awful visibility produced by a mismanaged company that had to run to uncle Sam for help... which do you think I'd choose?

If I were in the market I'd choose the Boss though. 7500 rpm V8 = awesomeness

Reactions: 3 users
I read through the article while at the pharmacy waiting the other day. They picked the Camaro over the GT500 overall, even though they liked the GT500 better. So I dunno. Unless you're made in Germany, C&D isn't going to have a whole lot of nice to say about you. They almost seemed to be down on the fact that the GT500 had so much power.

C&D lost me years ago when did a shoot out for best sports car between a Z06, a boxster, and an M3. The Vette killed both on the track, but the M3 was better cause it has a back seat. Kinda compairing apples to oranges. Haven't taken them serious since.

C&D are idiots.
So are Motortrend. I just got the GT500 vs ZL1 issue in the mail. The result of the comparison : The GT500 is faster 0-60, faster 0-100, faster in the 1/4 mile, shorter 60-0 stopping distance, faster through Motortrend's figure 8, faster around a 2.2 mile road coarse, however the ZL1 does pulls more Gs on the skid pad. So the GT500 beats the ZL1 in every performance category except 1, and the winner is ? The ZL1. I don't get it. A couple of issues ago they did a "Cheap Thrills" comparison of under 30k performance carsy just like its big brother the V6 Mustang had the best 0-60, quarter mile and passing times, best braking, fastest through the figure 8, best lap time, and second best lateral acceleration, and just like the GT500, the v6 Mustang did not win. There seems to be a pattern.

So are Motortrend. I just got the GT500 vs ZL1 issue in the mail. The result of the comparison : The GT500 is faster 0-60, faster 0-100, faster in the 1/4 mile, shorter 60-0 stopping distance, faster through Motortrend's figure 8, faster around a 2.2 mile road coarse, however the ZL1 does pulls more Gs on the skid pad. So the GT500 beats the ZL1 in every performance category except 1, and the winner is ? The ZL1. I don't get it.
I read that. In the article they also say they like the interior of the Mustang better and they wish the Camaro steering response was as good as the Mustangs. On the road course the thing that really caught my attention was the top speed on the last straight away. The Camaro got close to 140 mph and the Mustang hit 173 mph.
The Camaro is obviously the better car.:rlaugh:

So are Motortrend. I just got the GT500 vs ZL1 issue in the mail. The result of the comparison : The GT500 is faster 0-60, faster 0-100, faster in the 1/4 mile, shorter 60-0 stopping distance, faster through Motortrend's figure 8, faster around a 2.2 mile road coarse, however the ZL1 does pulls more Gs on the skid pad. So the GT500 beats the ZL1 in every performance category except 1, and the winner is ? The ZL1. I don't get it. A couple of issues ago they did a "Cheap Thrills" comparison of under 30k performance carsy just like its big brother the V6 Mustang had the best 0-60, quarter mile and passing times, best braking, fastest through the figure 8, best lap time, and second best lateral acceleration, and just like the GT500, the v6 Mustang did not win. There seems to be a pattern.

However, they also talked about the inferior brakes of the GT500, which got slower every lap they did because of brake fade., ultimately being slower than the ZL1. How many circuit races only have one lap?

They weren't simply looking at performance, it was about overall driveability. The GT500 is faster, but the ZL1 is easier to drive fast and absorbs the realities of normal roads better. The interior and blind spots of the Camaro are what hurt it most in an otherwise formidable option from Chevy.

The fact that the GT500 is a half second faster in the 1/4 mile though gives me that tingly feeling in my nether regions.

Cars that are "easy to drive" are for people with vaginas. Ford is absolutely crushing the zl1's "super sophisticated" IRS with MRC and suspension management system from the ZR1 with its stone age live rear axle. I read somewhere the downfall of the gt500's brakes is the fluid. Needs upgrading for track use.

Reactions: 1 user
.......They weren't simply looking at performance, it was about overall driveability. The GT500 is faster, but the ZL1 is easier to drive fast and absorbs the realities of normal roads better. The interior and blind spots of the Camaro are what hurt it most in an otherwise formidable option from Chevy.

The fact that the GT500 is a half second faster in the 1/4 mile though gives me that tingly feeling in my nether regions.

That's the problem. These aren't warmed over GT's and SS's these are limited production, heavily reworked versions of regular production cars. When comparing cars of this type, performance is all that should be looked at. These 2 cars are built for a one purpose and one purpose only everything else is secondary and should play no part in deciding which is better. The car that performs better is better, period.

I subscribe to 6 car zines and it seems that every one ran this comparison test at the same time. It's like the same guy wrote the article for all the zines. Same stuff: Shelby brakes fade, slower in the corner, solid rear axle, can't get it to 200 mph. But look: Shelby turns fastest lap, fastest 0 to 60, fastest 1/4 mile, highest top speed, shortest braking, what the hell do they want? Why not ding the ZL1 for a antique engine design (2 valve, pushrod), lousy outside vision, worst mpg, heavy, needs more displacement to compete. I thing I'm going to let some of my subscriptions lapse.

They could build the Mustang on a Bugatti Veyron chassis and drive train...The world just isn't ready to see a Secretary car (mustang) be better! Matter of fact if they put the body of a Mustang on the drivetrain of a Camaro they would still pick the Camaro.

Motortrend and C&D are all idiots. It's true, if it isn't a BMW with it's horrendous factory orange peel paint, then it won't win.

They are a bunch of desk jockeys that don't know what they are talking about. I let my subscription lapse years ago when no matter what the comparison, the BMW won every single time. I can't imagine they'd know dick about limited production muscle cars.

i hate to say but ford also took loans from our government but it was before the bailout of government motors..
Both perform well, however one is ugly and overweight with a horrible interior and awful visibility produced by a mismanaged company that had to run to uncle Sam for help... which do you think I'd choose?

If I were in the market I'd choose the Boss though. 7500 rpm V8 = awesomeness

Wrong. Ford did not participate in the government's Automotive Industry Finance Program which was part of TARP. GM and Chrysler received approx $80. billion dollars which they needed to maintain their day to day operations, pay suppliers, make pay roll, etc etc. In other words they needed and got money from the govt to keep producing cars & trucks. Ford took a 5.9 billion dollar loan to modernize a number of factories and retool them to produce more fuel efficient cars. Ford did not take nor did it need govt money to keep the lights on, the doors open and cars and trucks rolling off the assembly lines.
Regardless the GT500 is still the better car.

Reactions: 2 users
i hate to say but ford also took loans from our government but it was before the bailout of government motors..

I think what you're talking about is Ford got a grant from the DOE to further development on hybrid and battery systems. DOE also gave a grant to Nissan for the same development. Of course this is tax payer money. So while the American auto industry was on the verge of total collapse, our government was handing out money to a Japanese auto company so they can better compete with us. Something is wrong with that. Or maybe it's the new global economy at work here. Let me see if I got this right, the American government gives money to a Japanese company while the Japanese government never gives money to an American company. Oh boy, I don't think this new Global Economy is going to work.

ford borrow the money period! not the grant they got.. I also thought that until i did some digging because i was a ford share holder. you have to look at dodge also as they were sold to an investment group also a first to use an american company name to get a bailout on their investment..sweet huh?