2013 Mustang Gt Redline Engine Cuts Out @ 6500rpm

MustangVanDamme

Jun 29, 2012
My 2013 GT bogs and cuts out at 6500rpm when the redline is at 7000. Does anyone else experience this issue? I have 2500miles on my car. Floored it for the first time after breaking it in and was gonna shift at about 6800-6900 but was SURPRISED as hell by the engine cut at 6500.

I called the dealership and they said 2013 Mustangs have a redline of actually 6500 and that it is normal. I call bullshiet on that cuz that's exactly what it is bullshiet.

That's like me saying I'll sell you a 60" Plasma TV but the actual viewable area is only 55" because the extra 5" inches on that 60" TV is the measurement of the box it came in... so it is "NORMAL".

• Sponsors (?)

I'm not sure where the red line is painted on the 2013s with the slightly different gauge design, but on my 2011, the red-line actually begins a little before 7000 (though higher than 6500). I read somewhere that it has a "soft" limiter (partially cuts) at 6700, and completely cuts out at 7000.

Are you sure it actually cut out right at 6500, or just something close to it? If you did this in 1st or 2nd gear, the RPM's may have been building faster than your eye or even the tach needle could keep up. Those gauges are not necessarily perfectly precise either.

As for what the dealer said, I find it hard to believe the guy answering the phone would have known that off the top of his head. Sounds like a "guy on the phone hit the rev-limiter and is asking about it, so told him it was normal just to end the call" type of situation.

:scratch: why is it odd again that ford programmed a factory rev limiter in the car??

Thanks for the obvious but I never questioned the existence of a rev limiter merely that the car completely and absolutely stalls at exactly 6500rpm... 500rpm less than the 7000rpm.

I know that it cuts off because I revved the engine in neutral at less than WOT so that the needle crept up at a more manageable rate and the engine cuts off at 6500rpm. The gauge lighting turns from cool blue to red.

So no I'm not surprised that the car has a rev limiter just that why would the engine cut out 500rpm below it. Also when it stalls it's not like hitting the limiter in any other car that I ever owned. It just... Stops revving and stalls like basically like how u would stall your car if you were a noob stick driver.

Anyone ever find out about this? My 2013 may be doing this. I haven't found another similar close enough description than this. So mine will climb RPM up to 6500rpm and go in to gear no problem and engage, but with in the split second of engaging and getting back in to WOT, the RPMs will drop like if it went into limp mode and gas pedal fully depressed the cars RPMs do not rise they drop dramatically and won't rise untill clutch is again depressed and gear reangages then it will start again. Any ideas?

My 2011 shift light comes on at 7000 rpm. Not exactly sure where it shifts rpm wise. A tune can probably fix the issue. Also take a slow motion video next time you floor it providing your in a safe spot to record while driving.