209K now Knock Sound....

Adam95GT

Aug 14, 2006
Burlington, NJ
Its comming from my cats in my catted h pipe... its a clacking sound at idle... its annoying i called an exhaust shop and se if they would cut out and reweld in some strait pipe.... they said its illigal.... ugh.... i guess its time for me to buy an offroad H or X pipe..... y would a cat Make a clacking knock sound.... i thought i spun a bearing.... LOL:lol:

• Sponsors (?)

The knocking or rattling sound is either the heat shields or the ceramic internals are broken up.

For free you can hollow them with a long rod and some time. Not a lot of fun.

I found my OR H-pipe used for $50... just keep your eyes open...

The fox pipe will actually bolt up, but the hangers are different from what I've heard. On a side note I bought a Mac offroad H a month ago and am very happy with it, I still can't get over the big improvement in sound:D . You could punch out the cats on your pipe but trust me you won't be happy with the sound.

As noted by Eric, the bigger concern is that if the substrate broke a couple spot welds, it can fall sideways. Now air is not passing through worth a crap (the substrate is not aligned with airflow anymore) and the exhaust backs up. This starts to melt everything on that side of the engine compartment and the car will eventually stop running.

That's not to say this will happen - we all have had plenty of noisy cats. But it can happen so don't simply dismiss the noise as not being anything to keep tabs on.

Good luck.

Its comming from my cats in my catted h pipe... its a clacking sound at idle... its annoying i called an exhaust shop and se if they would cut out and reweld in some strait pipe.... they said its illigal.... ugh.... i guess its time for me to buy an offroad H or X pipe..... y would a cat Make a clacking knock sound.... i thought i spun a bearing.... LOL:lol:

dont worry....my car makes the EXACT same noise. Some times at idle but mostly above 3500k.

after poking around down there for a while i realized the heat shields were loose.

eventually ill get a new mid pipe...will an offroad x be INSANELY loud with a loudmouth catback?