245/45 17's on a 17x9??

strykr14

Jun 30, 2005
DC area
Hi there,

I'm new to the board and yes, I did a search on that topic but I want to be sure I'm getting a decent looking tire. From my search, I have determined that this size tire is great on an 8 inch rim but what about a 9? I do not want to be running with a little wee sidewall. Seems to me an inch wider rim would force the tire to stretch thereby reducing the sidewall. Or am I out to lunch? I heard that they just look too small on a 9 inch rim. Looking at 265/45 17s out back w/the quads flipped. I do not want to roll the fenders

Has anyone here run the 245/45s up front on 9 inch rims? How do they look? I was going to go with 255/40s but they have even less of a sidewall.

I have a 93 GT, lowered about an inch, 94 spindles with PBRs and ranger axles out back. Rims are the AFS Mach Ones, (+26mm, 6.11" backspace)

Hope you guys can help...

Jayson
93 GT 5.8
78 F100 5.8
03 Sable (not a 5.8 - yet)

• Sponsors (?)

I had to put a spare 245/45/17 on my 17x9 last summer. It looked like crap and hook for $hit. the tire was stretched out a bit to make it to the bead, not the safest looking set-up in my opinion. I have 255/40/17 on my 17x8 and 275/40/17 on my 17x9. I originally had 255's all around, the sidewall wasn't that bad either. A bit on the small side but excellent handling. And it doesn't ride much harder than with my stock 225/60/15's. I also have bbk lowering springs and kyb's all around. I think the 255/275 combo looks the best. When I had the 255's in the rear I didn' have to flip the quads or massage anything either. Hope this helps

Nick

245/45/17 will fit just fine... depending on the tire manufacturer, some are slightly bigger or smaller..

Here's my 245/45/17.. and I'm running 275/40/17 on the rear..

89_wheel.jpg

mineralgsvt - are those 9 inch? Do you like your sidewall hieght ie, do you wish you would have went bigger? Do you get rubbing?

Nick, that's what I'm worried about. I have a set of 245/45s 95W, they are Ventus K102's. That may be just European - Im over here for Uncle Sam. And what's the 95W. do the 275 rub in the back?

I have a line on a set of 255/40, for $200 - smaller side wall but wider tire - confusing.

recommendations?

245's and 9" rims have no business together. Here's a basic rule of thumb.

Divide the tire width by 25.4. 245/25.4 = 9.654

NOw hte wheel is 9" wide. That measurement is fron the inside of the rim edge to the opposite inside of the rim edge. Add 1" to the rim width. That's approximately the outside the rim edge to outside the rim edge measurement. On a 9" wheel it's actually 10" wide.

That wheel is wider thant he tread width. That looks like crap IMO. 255 is minimum for a 9" wheel.

ive run 245 on a 9 inch rim for 2 years now without a problem on 17 and 18 inch rims.

255 rubbed my lower arm barely in the front. maybe just my car, but ill take my ****ty looking setup over a flat tire :)

tjm73 said:
... That wheel is wider than the tread width. That looks like crap IMO. 255 is minimum for a 9" wheel.

Not disagreeing with you, agree with what you said, but I think "wheel styling" has a bit of a roll to play in the appearance of the general tire size - wheel size look as well. Some wheel styles look better with a tighter fit and others don't.

People complain about the fitment on fox cars (rub issues)... this is not the real issue ... the real issue is wheel manufacturers neglect to build popular 5-lug wheel styles with the proper offsets and sizes for a fox ... why the hell is it every aftermarket company makes their 5-lug 17" & 18" knock-off styles in a 9" width :shrug: ... Fox cars just 'plum' ride better with an 8" up front.

If I had a wheel company I would capitalize on this big time ...
as an example:
Imagine a 17 or 18" bullitt wheel with the proper 8" front width and 9" rear with a good offset (+18mm F, +18mm R .. roughly) to bring both front and rear wheels flush with the fender lips when running the standard cheapo 5-lug conversions
................... :nonono:
I would walk away a millionaire, just on this one wheel style ....

Whats our alternative ... buy a set of 4-lug cobras or spend a hefty chunk to get a good OE 5-lug wheel fit :nonono: Morons with money :(

mineralgsvt said:
245/45/17 will fit just fine... depending on the tire manufacturer, some are slightly bigger or smaller..

Here's my 245/45/17.. and I'm running 275/40/17 on the rear..

89_wheel.jpg
Do you have a pic of the rear? I would like to run this size on the rear but I do not want a "balloon" side wall. I like the sidewall even with the rim look of the 245/45/17 look I currently use.

OK, so some guys are dead against 245s and others say they are fine - the tires I have look a bit small width wise for the rim - can anyone show me a pic of a 255/40 on a 17x9?

88 SC GT, are you saying that if I go 255 I could get a flat from rubbing on the control arm?

255 on my rim, rubbed in the front on the arm at full lock barely.

afs wheels made 8" front wheels for a fox setup. i havent really looked into any other companys, they were also 4-lug.

the diff. between the 245 and 255 is only 10mm, so if a 255 looks ok on a 9" rim why would a 245 be so bad?????? i run the 245s on my 17x9 chrome cobra Rs, and havent had a problem. 245mm is actually 9.65inches. so dont worry about the 245s being too small. go with the tire you like the best and with the best price.

CrazyCobra said:
Do you have a pic of the rear? I would like to run this size on the rear but I do not want a "balloon" side wall. I like the sidewall even with the rim look of the 245/45/17 look I currently use.

I don't have any closer shots and the car is not available (it's at the body shop), but here are a couple. No "ballooning" here.. just lots of compliments, can't wait to get it painted.

89_before_1.jpg

89_before_2.jpg

mineralgsvt said:
I don't have any closer shots and the car is not available (it's at the body shop), but here are a couple. No "ballooning" here.. just lots of compliments, can't wait to get it painted.
Yer right no "Balloon", looks great :nice: . The 245 are just about done on the rear of mine, I think I'll try the 275's. Thanks for the pics
Sorry for the hijack stykr14.