245 tire on a 9" rim?

the98stang

Aug 12, 2005
Clovis, CA
Will a 245 tire be too small for a 9" rim? The guy at the tire shop said it wouldn't be a problem. 245's are much cheaper than 255's, so I would like to buy them if possible. Thanks for any opinions!

• Sponsors (?)

go with the 255's.

I have 245's on my fronts (bought my wheels with almost brand new tires)
they just look WAY TOO SMALL.
Doesn't look right at all.
Now the 315's on the back:hail2:

245 will fit on 9" rim.
But what'll happen is that rim is too wide for the tire.
You'll end up the dumb look of wheel edge sticking out too far past tire look.

safe to drive it like that? I guess. I would not take turn too fast myself with it.
But nothing screams "I didn't have enough money for tire!" louder then rim edge sticks past edge of tire look IMO

245's will work if your in a money pinch, but for alittle more you can get 255's which are much better overall. Also, 03/04 Cobra came stock with 17x9 wheels and were given 275's on all 4 wheels. I have 275's on my 17x9's personally, 245's will give the stretched out look that was talked above, believe me I first think of how cheap people are when they can't pay for the tire that should be on that size wheel....but yet they could buy the wheels some how...??

if 9" is correct size for 245, then why would ford with all of its resourse and research, and ever so safety concious about tires, put 245 on 8" rim from OEM?

Because it bulges out more, giving it more of a muscle look.

Do your research, you'll see a lot of exotics that use tires the size of the rim.
245's = 245 mm = ~ 10 inches

Therefore, when you put like say 275s in a 9 inch rim, you're really just bulging the tire past the rim further, but that doesnt make it any safer.

275's = 275 mm = ~ 11 inches

Do your research, you'll see a lot of exotics that use tires the size of the rim.

Therefore, when you put like say 275s in a 9 inch rim, you're really just bulging the tire past the rim further, but that doesnt make it any safer.

Sorry, but 245's shouldn't be on a 9" wide wheel, nobody in the tire business would recommend that. Can you, yes....should you no, not when a 255 isn't much more money.

And it's not just for a "muscle look", I got 275's in the front for better cornering and traction. Think about it, if you have a tire that's stretched in, taking a corner will transfer to the wheel and tire causing more weight on your most outer part of the tire and possibly your wheel. You also have alittle extra protection from curb rash on your wheels with the wider tire.

Is your formula include almost 1/2" thick(each side) bead inside that sticks out inword?
Well, its your car. Do what you want.
But I've seen few 245 on 9", and they look retarded, and frankly don't look safe

245's are stretched big time on a 9 inch wheel. I mounted them on my friends new 03 Cobra wheels....and we looked at each other and I took it back off. I even ran 255's on my Cobra when I first got my 17X9 R's. I rashed the outer edge so bad on the right front from scraping curbs. When the tire is stretched...that is bad. It can actually come off the wheel on a hard corner. I know you are trying to save cash, but I would go 275. I have 275's on my Cobra right now....lip of wheel is protected 100%.

245's are stretched big time on a 9 inch wheel. I mounted them on my friends new 03 Cobra wheels....and we looked at each other and I took it back off. I even ran 255's on my Cobra when I first got my 17X9 R's. I rashed the outer edge so bad on the right front from scraping curbs. When the tire is stretched...that is bad. It can actually come off the wheel on a hard corner. I know you are trying to save cash, but I would go 275. I have 275's on my Cobra right now....lip of wheel is protected 100%.

Mine does not look like that or rub on the curb.