24lb Mass Air Meter Questions......any Junkyard Swaps?

You need to upgrade the valve springs if you are using the factory ones. They aren't able to even keep up with a stock mustang cam. Look into the TFS spring upgrade or some Alex springs. The TFS 1 cam is a good option. I do have a guy that can give you a quote on a custom. If that is something you want you can pm me.

• Sponsors (?)

M
You need to upgrade the valve springs if you are using the factory ones. They aren't able to even keep up with a stock mustang cam. Look into the TFS spring upgrade or some Alex springs. The TFS 1 cam is a good option. I do have a guy that can give you a quote on a custom. If that is something you want you can pm me.
I agree 100% my car loses it on top end bad. I'm changin springs soon, how much is that cam?

TFS 1 is around 220$ custom is around 350-400$ depending on what you/cam guru recommends. For a budget build I'd probably go the cheaper route. You're going to need springs etc and it adds up. The TFS/gt40 combos tend to make 260-275rwhp(manual trans numbers)

TFS 1 is around 220$ custom is around 350-400$ depending on what you/cam guru recommends. For a budget build I'd probably go the cheaper route. You're going to need springs etc and it adds up. The TFS/gt40 combos tend to make 260-275rwhp(manual trans numbers)
I'm looking at some ported e7s with high rev springs for 100 think it's worth it? Yeah mines auto

It's very rare that e7's are ported properly and usually they don't work as well as stock gt40's. Depending on the springs you might be able to purchase them and swap the springs and resell the e7's. But if they were ported well they could outperform stock 40's. Really hard to say on the quality but they are cheap.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm looking at some ported e7s with high rev springs for 100 think it's worth it? Yeah mines auto
How much are the ported e7 heads? Without knowing the price I'd day eh not really. Years ago I was looking at Thumper ported e7's they were running somewhere around $700 a set plus a core charge and shipping both ways (in order to get you're core charge back). So you're $700 heads are now over a grand. And if I remeber right they came w stock valves. I researched and researched looking at dyno numbers and the average "thumper", gt40 intake, w mild cam type setup was like 240-250 rear horse and some as low as 230 some odd. Well I didn't get them because that's not much bang for the buck (don't forget gaskets costs, and probably some head bolts) and I didn't really have the $ at the time anyway. My broke azz was still trying to scratch the horsepower itch and I wanted to throw a little money at the car to keep the project alive so I had my lower ho lower intake ported. With a mild cam, stock e7's w comp springs, and the ported lower it made 223 rwhp. With all of the above minus the ported lower it made 205.
So for $300 I made just about as much power as the majority running the thumper e7's. Yes there are a few fools who made 280 or so with them but they had high dollar intakes and cams. Why would one do that I don't know.. So unless the ported e7's are almost free I'd take a pass.
I see you mentioned the "bolt-on game." From one budget man to another, keep the bolt-ons at a minimum. While the price is right and you can buy this and that here and there, at the end of the day you're really not gaining much and getting your dollar's worth. By the time you add up all the cost of such items as, throttle bodies, cold air intake, cat-back exhaust, etc, etc you have quite a chunk o' change invested (remeber fellas, budget man's pockets) and you've gained like 10-15 horsepower. While bolt-ons keep the hobby alive that's pretty much it.. If you bought this 4FA218-010L Mustang Vortech Supercharger Kit Satin Low-Boost V-3 Sl Sci-Trim 5.0L 1986-1993 | CJ Pony Parts and had stock everything else you'd come out way head and probably spent less. It's not 1988 anymore, it'll take more than loud mufflers and a 65mm throttlebody to beat a Kia.
PS: if you buy the ported e7's you still might have your hands full racing a new Camry. Food for thought.

Last edited:
How much are the ported e7 heads? Without knowing the price I'd day eh not really. Years ago I was looking at Thumper ported e7's they were running somewhere around $700 a set plus a core charge and shipping both ways (in order to get you're core charge back). So you're $700 heads are now over a grand. And if I remeber right they came w stock valves. I researched and researched looking at dyno numbers and the average "thumper", gt40 intake, w mild cam type setup was like 240-250 rear horse and some as low as 230 some odd. Well I didn't get them because that's not much bang for the buck (don't forget gaskets costs, and probably some head bolts) and I didn't really have the $ at the time anyway. My broke azz was still trying to scratch the horsepower itch and I wanted to throw a little money at the car to keep the project alive so I had my lower ho lower intake ported. With a mild cam, stock e7's w comp springs, and the ported lower it made 223 rwhp. With all of the above minus the ported lower it made 205.
So for $300 I made just about as much power as the majority running the thumper e7's. Yes there are a few fools who made 280 or so with them but they had high dollar intakes and cams. Why would one do that I don't know.. So unless the ported e7's are almost free I'd take a pass.
I see you mentioned the "bolt-on game." From one budget man to another, keep the bolt-ons at a minimum. While the price is right and you can buy this and that here and there, at the end of the day you're really not gaining much and getting your dollar's worth. By the time you add up all the cost of such items as, throttle bodies, cold air intake, cat-back exhaust, etc, etc you have quite a chunk o' change invested (remeber fellas, budget man's pockets) and you've gained like 10-15 horsepower. While bolt-ons keep the hobby alive that's pretty much it.. If you bought this 4FA218-010L Mustang Vortech Supercharger Kit Satin Low-Boost V-3 Sl Sci-Trim 5.0L 1986-1993 | CJ Pony Parts and had stock everything else you'd come out way head and probably spent less. It's not 1988 anymore, it'll take more than loud mufflers and a 65mm throttlebody to beat a Kia.
PS: if you buy the ported e7's you still might have your hands full racing a new Camry. Food for thought.
He wants 100 for them with good springs

He wants 100 for them with good springs
If They're not F'd up and you're putting them on yourself maybe I'd do it.. But go in w mediocre expectations. Is it a local guy? If no wonder how much to ship those heavy b's?? Will you know what you're looking at when you get em? Would you be able to tell if they really are ported and aren't a set of regular ole e7's w a spring upgrade? Do you know how to inspect for problem areas?
PS: I think we're dumping all over some ones thread looking for 24#... Make a thread reporting how the ported e7's worked out.

Last edited:
You couldn't pay me to run E7 heads. Ported or not.

Not worth the gaskets and fluids.
I would go one further...I wouldn't run a production iron head period. But I always sound like a broken record and usually the poster isn't going to listen. So I try to help with their "budget" idea. BUY A GOOD ALUM HEAD! And be done. They have used TFS/AFR heads everyday for around 750$

I would go one further...I wouldn't run a production iron head period. But I always sound like a broken record and usually the poster isn't going to listen. So I try to help with their "budget" idea. BUY A GOOD ALUM HEAD! And be done. They have used TFS/AFR heads everyday for around 750$
I agree but when someone's looking at a $100 set of heads $750 is a lotta scratch. Yes there's always saving but a guy looking at $100 heads probably doesn't have much left to save at the end of the week. All that being said, @91gtfox The ported e7's might give you a little something but not enough to matter. Out of the box the fox has too much ground to cover to be competitive in this day and age. - My broken record.

Reactions: 2 users
You're looking at the fuel upgrades wrong. Adding a larger pump and larger injectors don't make more power. The reason you see people adding larger injectors and pumps is because they've added more air into their engine so it requires more fuel to make an explosion which drives the piston. Think of how a fire is made, it takes air, fuel, and heat. Adding more fuel with out adding more air or heat to a fire will put the fire out. A lit cigarette will extinguish if it is dropped in a puddle of jet fuel (did it a few times in the navy). The reason it doesn't ignite is due to the fact that the cig isn't hot enough. What I'm getting at is the 3 ingredients to make fire have to be added in the appropriate perportions to make the fire happen. By the way if the only thing you change is the fuel pump it will still be pumping the same amount of fuel into the motor as the stock pump. Back to the 24 # injectors and tune. The power increase (and it's not going to be a monstrous amount) would come more so from the tune than the injectors.

He has an explorer motor. With that cam he'd essentislly have a "Cobra" motor minus the 24#. Is that good or bad? I guess it all boils down to intended vehicle use and budget. Which can be said about everything.
I am installing the fuel pump because the one in the car now is 25 years old and I don't want to end up stuck on the side of the road with no fuel pressure, my 19# stuff ( 70mm Mass Air meter and injectors) should be fine with my engine being under 300hp. The 1.7 roller rockers will help a little and I'm not looking at racing the car, I have owned it since 1989 so I know everything that has been replaced, the fuel pump hasn't. If I ever get a better set of heads then I will upgrade to 24# parts but I really don't need them now. Since I have already gone with a 70mm Mass Air and 65mm TB I have more air flow than a stock motor, and my headers get the air out better than the stock exhaust manifolds ( headers) did.

Reactions: 1 user