25 mpg on my 5.0? wow?!?!

Ok so i drove 40 miles to and 40 miles from seattle to tacoma and my gas only went down 1 notch, plus i did a some extra driving...thats like 3 gallons it went down....seriously at most maybe 4.....tats about 25mpg? what is going on here? is it my friendly 2.73 gearS?

• Sponsors (?)

ahh, before you throw a party, you might want to fill it up. the gas gauges are not known for their precision...not trying to rain on your parade, but you might want to check it when you fill up......nice work though. i can get 25 MPG if i put it on a flatbed for half the trip.

custom89stang said:
Ok so i drove 40 miles to and 40 miles from seattle to tacoma and my gas only went down 1 notch, plus i did a some extra driving...thats like 3 gallons it went down....seriously at most maybe 4.....tats about 25mpg? what is going on here? is it my friendly 2.73 gearS?

That to me is like stating the exact temperature by menas of reading the stock temp gauge. Get the numbers at the gas pump to get something accurate. But all in all, 25 is not unreasonable.

custom89stang said:
ok i wil.... i was wondering if anyone can tell me what the optimal speed for a stang is on the highway? yes i was cruisin on the highway.... but whats the optimal MPH cause it isnt that 55 in red! haha
kinda the wrong question (or phrasing). i think one would want to know the optimal RPM for milage, but taking into account wind resistance at speed (doesnt resistance increase at the square of speed or something like that?)....cuz there are so many gear-ratio varieties being run in here, it will be different for everyone....

HISSIN50 said:
kinda the wrong question (or phrasing). i think one would want to know the optimal RPM for milage, but taking into account wind resistance at speed (doesnt resistance increase at the square of speed or something like that?)....cuz there are so many gear-ratio varieties being run in here, it will be different for everyone....
yep, something like that. The faster you go, then the less air has the time to get "pushed" out of the way. (windshear also). Also the faster you are moving then the more air you are trying to pass through in a specific amount of time.

last tank I filled up with, I had beat on the car really hard....with a 100' burnout, raced a 6cly sn95, raced some other cars, beat the tar out of my car, chriped 3rd a couple of times with the stock 2.73s and got 22.8 mpg :up:

Is there anyone on the forum that checks gas mileage by actually topping up the tank, and dividing the number off the pump into their mileage? :)

You can't get mileage figures with anything close to accurate results by guessing how much fuel you've used based on the drop of the fuel gauge. It, like the temp gauge and the tach, is inaccurate, and usually biased towards the top half. On the other hand, 25 mpg is definitely doable even with mods. Mine pulls that number down on the highway regularly. Just did 127 miles on an around town tank - on 6.10 gallons. I'll let you guys do the math. I believe mine is getting mileage with the 5.0 than it did with the 4 banger.

"I guess its because im 17 and have a heavy foot."

It's real easy to make a car with this engine get real bad mileage - even a stock one. The way it's driven makes a HUGE difference. You also may want to pull the codes and see if your O2 sensors are functioning correctly. When they go out, poor fuel mileage is the first symptom.

Michael Yount said:
Is there anyone on the forum that checks gas mileage by actually topping up the tank, and dividing the number off the pump into their mileage? :)

Just did 127 miles on an around town tank - on 6.10 gallons. I'll let you guys do the math.QUOTE]

Michael, those numbers mean nothing in here. can you please tell us what bar your gas gauge was on when you filled up; we will extrapolate from there. LOL J/K (i feel the same way. i hate that....i would like to see someone do that with a bike. a long walk would be the outcome).

I've never gone by the gas gauge, I always do it by the pump, the best I got with A/C on was 26MPG with 2.73's on highway, when I went to 3.73's I 'm pullin 18 MPG in town and that's getting on it every once and a while.