275-50-15s on and Tires Rub HELP

fast50hz

May 26, 2002
Got my new bfg dr 275-50-15s on my 15x8 weld draglites with 5.5 in backspacing. The quads are flipped and im almost positive the car is not lowered, I do not rub the out fender lip at all, but i am rubbbing my tail pipes( im gonna ditch them for dumps). I already beat the hell outta the inside fender well with a BFH to gain more clearance. I am still rubbing around corners and it seems like some times the car squats and will bottom out inside the fenderwell. I just put new comp engineering drag shocks set at 50/50 on the back. This is just pissing me off bad, i thought this was a proven combo? I know for sure( SCUFF MARKS) that its rubbing the inside wheel well. So what should i do? Beat the hell out of it some more? Im ready to just go and spend the cash and get a mini tub but rather finish my 408 stroker.. Any help or advice is appreciated

Fast50hz

• Sponsors (?)

Ok, not trying to be a smart ass here, but you've gotta remember that back in '79 when these cars were designed, they came stock with 13 inch wheels....sure, over the years the fender wells were toyed with, but never enough to fit a 275 in'em. You're going to have to pound the inner fender wells with that BFH some, and see if that helps any. Otherwise, i'm willing to bet that most anyone who's got that combo is using air bags in their rear shocks in order to keep from scraping. Also, having drag shocks/springs in the back is only going to make it (worse?) when you stomp the gas because they're designed to let the car squat and recieve all the weight transferred from the nose.

Do you guys think that a 1/2" spacer will be enough clearance if its rubbing right now? I would like to go as small as possible, but im not sure if a 1/4" spacer is enough. Also if i went with a spacer do i have to get longer studs?

I had rubbing on my car when I had the 275/50's and I fixed it for 99% of the time with 3/16" spacers. And when it did rub on occassion I just didn't care.

What wheels are you using? I'm guessing 8" with 5.5" backspace combo.