275 Drag radial update

coolblue65

Founding Member
Jul 26, 1999
Algonquin, IL
Just thought I would share my findings.

Today I test fitted my Mickey Thompson Drag Radials 275/50/15s with 15x8" wheels with 4.75" Backspacing on my '65, unfortunately they did not fit- all though its really close

Option 1: They will fit if I go with 4.5" backspacing or put a .25" spacer in there, but they will stick out of the fendor another 1/4" which I don't really want. Plus I dont think my wheel studs are long enough to handle putting a spacer in.

Option 2: Go with a smaller Drag Radial- I will start to look for something 255 or less in width.

2164272_58_full.jpg

2164272_59_full.jpg

2164272_61_full.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

Just thought I would share my findings.

Option 1: They will fit if I go with 4.5" backspacing or put a .25" spacer in there, but they will stick out of the fendor another 1/4" which I don't really want. Plus I dont think my wheel studs are long enough to handle putting a spacer in.

Just curious...where exactly do they rub on the inside?

Just curious...where exactly do they rub on the inside?

Basically the tire hits the leaf spring before the wheel comes in to full contact with the drum. If I went with 4.5" backspacing it 'should' have enough clearance with the leaf spring but it would be real close still. Plus they the tires will stick out more, and every bump the tire would hit the fendor unless I raised it up (which I wont do).

So I am going to shoot for a 245/255 drag radial instead.

what kind of lift is that and where did you get it? i want something like that for my garage (if ever i get a garage that is) sorry for the off-topic

Its a Kwick Lift, I have had it for about a year.

http://www.kwiklift.com/Compare.htm

Normally I have it laying flat like it is in the picture and I just park the mustang on it, it can be use as a ramp to drive up just to raise the front or back, or it can put the whole car up in the air with tons of room to crawl around and underneath. I got the kit with casters so I can literally push the car around the garage while its raised up.

I like it for some things, but anything involving removing the wheels it is kind of a pain in the a$$, so for brake jobs and such, I end up just jacking the car up on the floor still -but then again any drive on lift would have the same issues.

If I had a bigger garage (i.e. higher ceiling) I would have put in a 2 post lift. After having this, and using larger drive on hydraulic lifts, a 2-post is the only way to go.

Just did some homework.

Here are how the sizes compare for M/T Steets:

Tire Size: 275/50/15 255/60/15 235/60/15

Tire diameter: 26.00" 27.1" 26.00"

Tread Width: 10.00" 8.8" 8.00"

Section Width: 11.3" 10.7" 9.5"

So I think I would gain the clearance I need by going with the 255s, however I don't know if I want to pick up another inch in tire height. The 235s would fit just fine, and a guy on another bored has run 1.6x 60' times at 12.1x's. So I know they will do the job.

245/60's would be what you'd want if someone makes that size in a drag radial. I went with 265/50/15's on my Comet, but they're not drag tires. Wish now I'd went with 275/50's instead, I have room for those and they look better on the 15 x 10's.

235/60's will fit without a problem if the wheels have the correct backspacing.
I have hit a best of 1.69 60 foot and lots of 11.8's on them. I'm hoping to go a bit quicker this year. If you are not using nitrous and only want to run into the mid-high 11's, the 235 MT should work fine.