28 or 31 Spline

• Sponsors (?)

If it was me and this is what I did. It's pretty well the same price to upgrade to 31 splines if your changing your differential anyway. I got an explorer diff (31 splines) with 3.73 axles off ebay for 120.00. all I need is the axles so for a little more money there will be no worries in the rearend.............

I called randy's ring and pinion to upgrade my car to 31 spline with a locker during my change to 3.73's. Here is the breakout:

Eason posi: $399.00
Two 31 spl axels $121 each
axle seals and bearings $15.20 each side
Used gears and setup kit (everything) $125.00
Setup $200.00
$996.40

I already have the gears and set up kit. So I am going to be about $850 into mine with new parts and new oil.

I went with 31 spline Mosers..and I had DTS build an Explorer 31 spling carrier..it was much cheaper. People tell me now the diff is my weak point, but really....if it breaks I can fix it 3 times and it will still be cheaper than buying any other A.M. diff once. I have been hard on the car with sticky tires and it has been find..many burnouts too.!!! 31s arethe way to go.

Lyncher said:
:stupid: y wouldnt you go with 31s? :shrug:

"Sometimes" upgraded 28 spline axels are all you need. I forget how much Moser 28 splines can handle but way more than stockers. Also they weigh a little less than 31's. And on rotating parts less weight is better. Hardcore road racers would consider the less weight. But I agree go with the 31's.

TrophyHead said:
"Sometimes" upgraded 28 spline axels are all you need. I forget how much Moser 28 splines can handle but way more than stockers. Also they weigh a little less than 31's. And on rotating parts less weight is better. Hardcore road racers would consider the less weight. But I agree go with the 31's.

yeah but the weight difference can really be a noticable amount performance wise...can it? I would just think that the price isnt much diffrent and the added strength is always welcome but thats just how i see it? :shrug:

Lyncher said:
yeah but the weight difference can really be a noticable amount performance wise...can it? I would just think that the price isnt much diffrent and the added strength is always welcome but thats just how i see it? :shrug:

http://www.moserengineering.com/moser_interior/axletech.htm

I contacted Moser with a few questions. I'll re-post when they get back to me.

Anybody remember what the rule of thumb is when you lose one pound of rotational mass. How much HP do you gain? I forget.

A 28 spline axel is rated at 5,000 lbs per axel. They didnt give me a weight and it's probably not much. So with 400 lbs of TQ, 3.35 first, and 4.10's your still well in check for 28 splines.

They said slicks=31 and up.