28 spline or 31 spline

I've known a 12 second car and a 13 second car to break (stock) 28 spline axles. It all comes down to how sticky your tires are, how hard you launch, and maybe what the price of eggs are in China, I don't know. You certainly don't need 500hp to break stock axles. You could have an 800hp, 10 second car and launch like a :taco: and not break the stock stuff, or you could have a 300hp, 12 second car and dump the clutch at 6K on slicks and snap them like twigs.

Disclaimer: I'm exaggerating, but you get the idea.

• Sponsors (?)

just out of curiosity, what made you go with the 393 instead of a larger displacement stroker? i haven't decided 100% on what i'm going to do with the engine but i'm seriously leaning towards the 408.

why does the standard need the 31 spline? while the AT does not?

The reason I went with 393 was because I didn't want to get into notching the block for clearance. It was a pain enough just to do the crank. I'm doing mine with a stroked crank, stock 351w rods and 302 forged pistons. I'll be running pumpgas and at times avgas. A built AOD and cheater slicks.
The main reason I'm using 28 spline is that I already have everything but the hardened 4 lug axles. I was building an 8.8 for my SVO, but instead I wanna use the parts for my drag car.
Also, standards are much harder on the drivetrain than an auto esp. when they grip.

I've known a 12 second car and a 13 second car to break (stock) 28 spline axles. It all comes down to how sticky your tires are, how hard you launch, and maybe what the price of eggs are in China, I don't know. You certainly don't need 500hp to break stock axles. You could have an 800hp, 10 second car and launch like a :taco: and not break the stock stuff, or you could have a 300hp, 12 second car and dump the clutch at 6K on slicks and snap them like twigs.

Disclaimer: I'm exaggerating, but you get the idea.

My stock 28 spline 4 lug axles had 145000 miles on them and a good 6+ years with slicks or sticky tires. Never broke.

My Ranger 28 spline 5 lug axles last 2.5 passes and snapped, which also ruined the carrier.

It's a crap shoot with them, all of them.

If your not drag racing it though, I'm not sure your going to reach a situation to break an axle.

The reason I went with 393 was because I didn't want to get into notching the block for clearance. It was a pain enough just to do the crank. I'm doing mine with a stroked crank, stock 351w rods and 302 forged pistons. I'll be running pumpgas and at times avgas. A built AOD and cheater slicks.
The main reason I'm using 28 spline is that I already have everything but the hardened 4 lug axles. I was building an 8.8 for my SVO, but instead I wanna use the parts for my drag car.
Also, standards are much harder on the drivetrain than an auto esp. when they grip.

that makes sense about not wanting to clearance the block. if you're willing to dish out the details, what does the rest of combination look like? you mentioned that you'll be pulling 500+hp? sounds good to me!! if you'd rather not post the details but are still willing to talk about what you've got feel free to email me at [email protected]

that makes sense about not wanting to clearance the block. if you're willing to dish out the details, what does the rest of combination look like? you mentioned that you'll be pulling 500+hp? sounds good to me!! if you'd rather not post the details but are still willing to talk about what you've got feel free to email me at [email protected]

I don't mind sharing the details out here. I'll just have to dig out the paperwork so I can give an accurate discription. If not tonight, then sometime tomorrow.