28" tires, do I need steeper gears??

Mean88

Founding Member
May 13, 2002
Just bought a set of draglites with 28" et streets. I have 3.73 gears and a TKO, do I need to go to 410's?? I have a custom cam .600/.570 230/236, 10:1 compression afr185's soon to be carb'd. I will have a 150shot on top of this combo, should I change gears?? Let me know what you think
Ted

• Sponsors (?)

It all depends on what you plan on doing with the car. 3.73's will be able to move the tires just fine but if you want to do much racing you might want to upgrade like you were thinking.

well i know that 4.10's would be all around a better match for the car NA, but with a power adder and mostly street use I wonder if I should just stay with 3.73?? What do you think?

Your running 28" tires on the street? If not and you are just racing, I would go to 4.10 and if that is taxing then try 4.56's. Most fourwheelers run 4.10's to 4.56's on the bigger wheels to get more low end. The problem with running 3.73's is that you have top end but no bottom end on the 1/4. You will have to try different gear sets and maybe bump up the HP to get the wheels to have the right power for the gears. It's all mathmatical.

I understand how gears work, and i am running this car on the street. I want a ratio that benifits my combination best, especially since it has a power adder. I dont want to run out of gear at the end of the track. My power band is from 3200-6200 NA. I want to run the best possible times. I am actually thinking after doing some math that 4.30's would work well
What do you think
Ted

with the 28" tire, it will make the gears feel like 3.73s with 4.10s... so in contrast, with 4.30s, you would have 4.10s. if you plan on running the 28" all the time and not ever dropping down to a 26" tire, then go with the 4.30s.