Roush 281 s/c vs. 03/04 cobra

• Sponsors (?)

just curious about the comparison. i am trying to make a decision between the two. i love the looks that my saleen gets, but i want a car straight from the factory that will hold its own for awhile. i would love to get an 02 or newer s/c, but i don't want to get blew off the road by everybody. saleen means top fuel around north carolina, if it doesn't turn 6's in the quarter it's a piece of crap! lol

All you need is a built SC to smoke a stock 03/04 cobra. In stock trim the advantage goes to the cobra hands down. If your interested in a built 281SC let me know...

Any of you guys that think a SC s281 has a real shot in hell at an 03/04 cobra, you are just in denial.

Yes, the saleen looks awesome and handles better. But you talk straight line racing, and you need an s351 or a 281E to have a chance.

The cobra has a forged iron shortblock that will put up with 700+ Hp, and with only a few dollars in mods, you can get it to 550 at the wheels. And if you change the supercharger you can be knocking the 700 rwhp door.
The abusive it can handle is unreal. You can literally beat the hell out of it Daily.

I've been in and driven multiple 03/04 cobras, and i test drove an 04 s281SC , i felt better in the saleen, but the cobra makes short work of it.

I very strongly contemplated a 04 s281sc, but it just didn't have the kick i felt i needed. I need pushrods or Dohc's.
When the time comes, it will likely be an S351 for me.

whosdady, do you mean built shortblock? Because the stock 4.6 block doesn't take too much abusive, it's definetely the weak point.

saleens4 said:
and learn to drive folks.

Ahhh, the biggest factor in all of this :)

One time I was at the track and a guy let his girlfriend drive his car (Honda Integra) to a 1:17.x 1/4 mile.

After everyone commented on how slow the car was he got in it and ran a 11.x. (11.2 I think).

:D

A .5 second difference is small enough for a good driver in the slower car to beat a poorer driver in the fast car.

from everything i've seen the Cobras are just maneaters. i'm still thinking about selling the Saleen for a terminator just because of the sheer power capabilities. with little mod money you're over 500...and if you have some money to play with, the KB Blowzillas are only $3K and you're talking major horsepower. drop $3K into your Saleen and it's still gonna make squat for power.

if you want to be the grizzly bear of the street then get a Cobra. if i got one i'd be passing up the idea of looking good and getting attention. if you wanna be pretty quick and look good doing it than stick with Saleen.

and since you're in North Carolina, check out Modular Powerhouse in metro Atlanta. www.modularpowerhouse.com

you won't find anyone putting out as many 600-700rwhp street cars every month as these guys.

2000xp8 said:
the stock 4.6 block doesn't take too much abusive, it's definetely the weak point.

I am assuming you are talking about the internals. I have not heard of a "block" having an issue, unless a stock rod went through it. The weakest point in a stock 2V is the rods. The are numerous 600+RWHP 2V with the stock "block" but "built" internals.

lgndracer said:
I am assuming you are talking about the internals. I have not heard of a "block" having an issue, unless a stock rod went through it. The weakest point in a stock 2V is the rods. The are numerous 600+RWHP 2V with the stock "block" but "built" internals.
Yup, i'm talking about the internals, sorry for not specifying.

Appollo, you still have the aluminum block with standard internals, i've seen a dozen or so 01 and older cobras with vortechs blow the engine.

The 03/04 cobra has an iron block with forged internals, nearly indestructable.

I speak as a very abusive driver, i love all saleens, and mustangs in general, but i'd be afraid of destroying a regular s281. I just drive so hard that i can gurantee i'd blow the motor. My place at the moment in the mustang world is behind the wheel of a pushrod engine.

chrissaleen said:
just curious about the comparison. i am trying to make a decision between the two. i love the looks that my saleen gets, but i want a car straight from the factory that will hold its own for awhile. i would love to get an 02 or newer s/c, but i don't want to get blew off the road by everybody. saleen means top fuel around north carolina, if it doesn't turn 6's in the quarter it's a piece of crap! lol

So you need a "Cobra Saleen" ... how hard is that? ;)

2000xp8 said:
Mark from PA told me on the phone that he knows a guy that has a 03/04 cobra saleen for sale, 42,000.

If that's the one I think it is it's a 2003 Redfire coupe, 03-97, in Louisiana. No real mods on it, pretty much completely stock. It's been for sale for a while.