289 Fuel injection w/ 5.0 parts?

I was browsing the net when I cam across this tech article on 351 swaps.

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/techarticles/18818/

I plan to buy a fox body lx in the future.

But back to my question, I have a carbed 289 in my 65 coupe. I know that intake mainfolds can be swaped between 289s and 302s on carbed engines. So can I swap a upper and lower intake manifold from a EFI 5.0, sensors, all other air intake parts, computer, fuel rails and injectors and make this set up work. Please forgive me for my ignorance I'm still a newbi and in the learing stages. Links to any related info greatly appreciated for my future EFI education. Thanks!

• Sponsors (?)

How much horsepower does that 289 make? If its making ~200 net horsepower or less, you can use the fuel injection setup off a 1986-1988 5.0 thunderbird or cougar, or off a crown vic/marquis. These engines have the old firing order, and were rated stock at 150hp, 270ft-lbs torque. If its making more like 225hp or more, then you want the 5.0 mustang efi setup, which is setup for the HO/351w firing order, and has larger fuel injectors.

You can even swap the 5.0 cam to go with the fuel injection and gain some power. You would need some link bar lifters and some custom pushrods, but some very nice power and a drivable car!

Dont you have to swap cam because of the distributor gear also? Bronze and steel ones are different i guess, and grind together. I think your best bet would be to find a late model roller block. I was gonna try this on my 67 but i ran into a slew of problems like fuel lines and other stuff, and no money. go figure

You either need to swap the distributor gear to a steel unit if you use a roller cam or you need an old-style flat tappet cam with the H.O./351W firing order. For EFI you need a TFI distributor anyway. I have one for sale if it helps. Thats the only major difference I can think of right now.