289 Vacuum Lines And Hoses

Live2shred303

Jul 20, 2012
Basically, i have a 289 engine that i am rebuilding and once i get a good shell, i will put it in a car. I have some questions regarding lines and hoses, as i never had this engine in a car and don't know where they go.

Picture 1

There is a small pipe on the water pump. Where does this go?
S30A0026.jpg

Picture 2: There is a metal pipe right above the thermostat housing. Where does this go?
S30A0027.jpg

Picture 3: Behind where the carb goes, on the back of the engine, there is a metal piece with 5 different inlets. I know these are vacuum ports, however, where do they all go? What is this piece called(i think i need a new one)
S30A0028.jpg

• Sponsors (?)

The water pump outlet goes to your heater hose.
The pipe above the thermostate housing is the bypass hose, it connects to the water pump.
The vacuum ports on the back of the manifold, one will be for the transmission vacuum line, one for power brakes. If you don't have use of it, just cap it off.

my cars not gonna have a heater so i will just cap off the heater hose.

not sure where the metal pipe above the thermostat housing goes still...i dont see another outlet on the water pump

the vacuum port has different sizes. 1 big, 2 medium, and 2 small. Which sizes should i use for tranny and power brakes?

It will be obvious which one goes where when you are hooking it up. I don't know the exact diameters, but the c4 vacuum line is small and the vacuum booster line is big. I'll include a pic of my engine, maybe you can see how the water hoses hook up. I too am running without a heater, but I did not block it off.

Attachments

• engine 5.JPG
    engine 5.JPG
    373.9 KB · Views: 10,897
  • engine 4.JPG
    engine 4.JPG
    548.5 KB · Views: 12,769
No it wont be obvious because i am cutting mickymouse hoses and guessing where they go. I just needa know where everything is routed. It looks like your vacuum advance for the distributor is routed to the carburetor? is this right? or should it be routed to that vacuum line i posted.

It should be hooked up to manifold vacuum. It can be routed to the carb or any place on the intake, as long as it's a source that draws vacuum from below the throttle plates/butterflies. Don't fool around with "ported" vacuum from a source above the throttle plates. That's an old tech emissions control that's commonly misunderstood.

The factory manuals have good vacuum routing in them,(as well as exploded view diagrams for everything else) for each of the years of cars. If you are going to build a car around that engine, you will want to buy some good reference materials. Well worth the money!

Reactions: 1 user
The fitting on the intake above the thermostat housing is the return from the heater. On the vacuum tee at the back, the large port is for the brake booster. The one down low facing the passenger side would go to your transmission's vacuum modulator. The small one at the top, IIRC, would go to the thermostatic switch in the air cleaner base to operate the fresh air door in the snorkel. If you have a '67 or '68 with factory A/C, one vacuum port would supply the controls with vacuum to run the heater control valve, blend doors and defrost diverter. The last one goes ('67) to the bottom port of the DVCV (distributor vacuum control valve) mounted at the front of the intake manifold or ('68) to a TEE which is connected to the bottom port of the DVCV as well as the inner port on the vacuum advance unit.