289 value?

• Sponsors (?)

Not to sound crass, but if you got 100-200 dollars for it you'd be doing good. Only someone looking for a numbers matching engine for a concours restoration would pay more. If anything, pull it, seal all the openings to keep the dirt and critters out and store it for the next owner of your car.

depending on the engine that you were planning to purchase, a built 289 could possibly be on even playing ground, and a tad less common than a crate engine. With a nice solid cam, it'd sound pretty wicked too.

Wow! $6200? I built the 331 stroker with the repop 3x2 induction it's got for $4500. Roller block, Z303 cam, 1.7 Comp rockers, eagle crank, eagle rods, SRP pistons, Canfield heads, main girdle. That includes the machining costs,& the induction was $1100.

I was thinking about selling my c-code 289 and buying a new Ford Racing engine for the fastback. I have no idea what a complete 289 is worth. Any suggestions?

Just me, but I'd keep the 289 as a base and just build around it. 289's make dam good power and ton's of 302 stuff bolts right on. I run high 13's on a mild 289 build now. Plus I just like telling everyone it's a 289 as most folks first question is, Is it a 302? The younger crowd especially these days don't even know about 289's in some cases as they have seen countless 5.0's. I sure you could build a very nice performing unit for well under $6k. :nice:

You know it never fails that when someone on here mentions a create engine people start to chime in as to how cheap and easy it would be to just rebuild the one they have. While in some cases this might be true but the folks that have the tools, time, knowledge, and other materials like a truck to haul the block to the machine shop could do the overhaul them selves those folks are not the ones talking about create engines.

As to how much the 289 would be worth well I would say very little and $200 seams high to me when you can get a remanufactured stock 289 short block with a warranty for $1000 of less.