2nd, 4th, and R Gone

Malevolyn

Dec 7, 2005
Lakeland, FL
The other day, my car started having trouble going into 2nd. Then tonight, I was completely unable to get the car into 2nd. Then 4th started doing the same thing. So I limped home and tried reverse. No dice.

I'm using an MGW. So my question is... shift stop? Someone please say yes.

• Sponsors (?)

i like to say yes. But Sounds more like internal. Have you take shifter off to see if thats the probrem? if T-45 is cable actuated trans like many import use, losing lower half of gear could be as simple as clip that hold cable comming lose(happened to my old MR-2. Lost 46 cents clip, and i lost 2nd,4th, and reverse, but 1st, 3rd, and OD was fine), or cable came off of shifter linkage.

But since T-45 shifter act directly to internal shifter fork, it doesn't have push&pull cable like import trans> I can't see shifter itself is the reason. If shift stop is causing this, that means shifter is not engaged all the way, there for shift stop have to "tigten" itself. I can see shift stop comming lose, but not tigten itself...
If your clutch cable is defective or stretched, i would think symptoms would also include 1st,3rd, and 5th gear as well...

Well, the shifter base is pretty horizontal, and the stop bolts aren't secured by much (no nylon ring or anything) so it's possible for them to rattle in any direction. I'll check them in the morning.

If that's not it, then f*** this car for the next few years. I'll go buy something else to use until then. Two grand for a brand new motorcycle beats two grand for one of about 20 things I need to fix on my car.

Exact same thing happened to me this spring with the T 45 in my 2000 GT. It was the syncro rings... and it was not a cheap fix. I decided that rather than pay over $1000 for parts and labour, I'd get a used transmission. Bad move. The transmission I got from a guy at SVT performance was equally screwed up. (He gave me most of my money back on it) Using the two busted transmissions, I tried to get 1 good one. It works now but I have gear whine to beat hell and a funny rattle at low RPMs in 4th.

Shifter stops might be set too close. 2nd 4th and R are all in the down positon and use unrelated synchros inside the trans, so more than likely it's an issue with the shifter