2nd Fan may be out?

tyedyejedi

May 11, 2009
Hello, this is my first post to this forum and have a quick question. Ok, to make a long story short. My upper hose blew a 4 inch crack in it sitting in my driveway after returning from the store. I changed the hose and replaced the fluid. (Thermostat was checked and water pump not leaking) After letting it run for about 10-15 minuted the radiator started smoking (never did the temp go above normal on the dash) really bad. I do not think it was fluid that got on the radiator when the hose blew, it was smoking really bad. My upper hose that I replaced got hot, and I mean melting rubber hot. I took it up to my local backyard shop and was told it might be my 2nd fan?? What he said was when the outside temperature gets above 80 or so the 2nd fan kicks on. Since it was only in the upper 50's here today he told me I would need to bring it back when it gets hotter outside so he could see if the fan kicks on. Does this make sense? I'm by no means a car expert. I own a 96 GT 4.6 Convertible. I was also told not to worry about a blown gasket or a cracked head. Said no need for a compression check. I do not leak oil or have any crap on the motor.

Confused Cracker.

• Sponsors (?)

probably should have posted in tech

But on the 94/95 cars (i assume its the same for 96+) if you turn the a/c on the high speed fan automatically comes on so you could try that

The stock dash temp gauge isnt very accurate.

have you checked to see if the fan is coming on at all? it could be as simple as a blown fuse

When I spilled coolant on my radiator, it smoked for a couple of days. There are a lot of nooks and crannies that coolant can collect in, and it will slowly burn off as the radiator gets hot enough. If the coolant temperature isn't too high, everything is probably okay.