2nd gear grinding only when warm?

saleen9973

Aug 5, 2001
Hey guys my t5 has a problem. I just put royal purple atf in my t5, when the tranny is cold it shifts fine. But when it warms up it grinds and it grind very bad if i try to shift at higher rpm's. Do you think i need to adjust the clutch and change the fluid to regulat dex/mec fluid? The guy i bought it from said he had put 75/90 gear fluid in it and ran it for a few hundred miles, i know that you shouldnt run gear oil so i changed it to royal purple but it shifts bad now. With the gear oil it had no problems.

• Sponsors (?)

He pt gear oil in to hide a problem. The syncros and or the gear and or the slider could be bad. Fix it now before you cause more damage. Amsoil works real well in the T5. No gear oil. The royal purple ATF is regular ATF with purple dye in it. Its nothing special. Trust me I know this

He pt gear oil in to hide a problem. The syncros and or the gear and or the slider could be bad. Fix it now before you cause more damage. Amsoil works real well in the T5. No gear oil. The royal purple ATF is regular ATF with purple dye in it. Its nothing special. Trust me I know this

+1. The gear oil was no accident. Maybe try putting some sawdust in there. Heard it works wonders

I guess the gear oil is heavier so it sticks to the scyncros right?that would not make them clash as bad. That makes sense. Well i guess its time to do a rebuild. I have the normal bolt ons and i am adding a set of ported e7's and a ported explorer intake in the spring. I dont want this t5 to go again any time soon what are my best bets? Should i upgrade gears and if so how expensive are they? I will be shifting 2nd very hard and going to the strip often next year. I am tight on cash would a regular rebuild hold up? thanks.