2nd surgery done- poboys amputation thread

Well its over, the rest of my right index finger was amputated on the 31st. The procedure is callad a Rays amputation and it truly left me with 4 fingers on my dominate hand, and Im glad too. Me and my stump finger just couldn't co exist anymore though we tried to work it out it just kept getting in the way :( . It all started back in January when I noticed my right hand and in particular, my index finger was turning blue and white, especially when it got cold. I was working at an exhaust and brake shop, something Ive done since 1979 and I had hopes of managing the store in a few months, but then the problems started when I was putting a serp belt on a Durango that seemed to not quite fit so I forced it over the last pulley with my fingers of course, and this left a crease on my finger that proved to be the fatal blow to a hand that was subsequently diagnosed as having " Hyperthenor hammer syndrome" What the hell is that you ask? Me too. It was explained to me by my doc that its an occupational disease that effects the blood vessels in the palm of the hands leading to the fingers, and prevelant in workers in auto/vehicle repair, iron/ steel, and jobs that require using impact tools, jack hammers etc. It also occurs when you use your hand as a hammer such as pounding on hub caps etc. I figured Id used and abused my hand in this manner for a long time so it made sense. I thought back at all the shops I worked at and all the cars and trucks I worked on, I guessed/calculated how often I used my Ingersol Rand impact and it was about 80 to 100 vehicles a month! :eek: So for all you techs out there use a padded mechanix style glove and take care of your hands, I wish I had known about this sooner as I surely would have taken precautions:bang: Anyways, I went back to the docs after only 2 days after the surgery so he can inspect and change the dressing, and when I looked at it I was shocked at first at all the stiches, he also did a procedure callad a "sympathectomy" that removes the nerves surrounding the veins or arteries in certain spots in my hand and wrist. This was done because when it gets cold these nerves over react and cause the vessels to constrict more then normal, and prior to this procedure, my hand and fingers looked like it belonged on a cadaver:eek: Dead mans hand. Ive got 3 cuts on the palm 6 stiches each, and 2 cuts 6/7 stiches each on my wrist and about 25/ 30 stiches between my thumb and middle finger where my departed index finger used to be. Driving has been fun as my car is a 5 speed, I taught my wife and daughter how to shift for me from the passenger side ( they dont drive) so I have 2 automatic transmissions :) Well remember, take care of your hands fellas!

• Sponsors (?)

look at the bright side, now you can literally give people "the finger". couldn't resist, lol. gotta find some humor in every situation, but really i'm sorry to hear about this and thanks for posting the info so other people are aware that this can happen.

I remember your previous thread about this. You seem to be dealing with it quite well. :nice:

Best wishes!

WOW, you seem to be dealing with it well. I have heard of issues with hands but not this...wow.

What shop do you work at? My wifes uncle is a Sr. master at Bo Buek. Ford and the father in law owns the st. chuck snap on franchise. Seeing/hearing the high end products and the uncle's testement to the same fact your posting about is very true.

Good luck and I hope the shop has not been totaly crappy to you about this. :nice:

look at the bright side, now you can literally give people "the finger". couldn't resist, lol. gotta find some humor in every situation, but really i'm sorry to hear about this and thanks for posting the info so other people are aware that this can happen.
:lol: When I had the stump I would try to give the peace sign and it would look like I was giving you the finger plus a half :rlaugh: I just try to make the best of it and try to find the bright side, the grand kids freak out on it and I chase them around the house its a riot.

WOW, you seem to be dealing with it well. I have heard of issues with hands but not this...wow.

What shop do you work at? My wifes uncle is a Sr. master at Bo Buek. Ford and the father in law owns the st. chuck snap on franchise. Seeing/hearing the high end products and the uncle's testement to the same fact your posting about is very true.

Good luck and I hope the shop has not been totaly crappy to you about this. :nice:
I was at the CarX on Lindbergh and the comp insurance denied my claim of course, so I found a pitbull of a lawyer and they finally caved in especially when they sent me to THIER doctor and he was the one who came up with the diagnosis :D so now they owe me 66% of my pay all the way back from January plus the medical expenses. I can hear the sound of my new motor already:rlaugh: As far a work goes when Im done with rehab Ill be looking for some counter work or hopefully Ill don a pressed shirt and tie :eek: and try my hand at service advisor at a dealership or something along those lines. Thanks to all of you for the support I really appreciate it, you guys are the best :nice:

The very best of luck to you Sir, you seem to be handling this pretty well which is more than many of us might do in your place.
Thank you as I stated before Im just trying to make the best of it. It could have been worse, look at all the folks who are coming back from the battlefront with no legs, arms, brain injuries, etc. My brother was shot in Iraq in Feb and his left ankle/foot was destroyed. As is often said "when it rains lemons, you've got to learn to make lemonade" Add a little Vodka and :shrug: :rlaugh:

Wow man, that sucks. Sorry to hear that. Hope you heal up soon. I never knew anything like this condition existed, I always use my hands in my line of work. I install exterior marble and granite, and we're always smackin the stone, and usin our hands like mallets if there's no tools in site. it's a common practice for the industry. looks like i won't be doing that anymore. once again, good luck on the recovery man, glad to see you're takin this so well. some people would go in their bedroom and lock the door for a month, family or not. down a cpl lemonade and vodka's for me. :nice:

In addition to back pay, are you going to be on workers compensation for awhile? Seems you should be able to get workers comp or unemployment until you can find a job suitable for the injury. That's why those companies and you pay it. Does the company have a desk job that you can occupy? Talk to your lawyer. Just curious. Oh glad you got that %$!$## insurance company. They just piss you off don't they.

Now I will be even more adamant about wearing my work gloves.

Take care

Peace
Al

In addition to back pay, are you going to be on workers compensation for awhile? Seems you should be able to get workers comp or unemployment until you can find a job suitable for the injury. That's why those companies and you pay it. Does the company have a desk job that you can occupy? Talk to your lawyer. Just curious. Oh glad you got that %$!$## insurance company. They just piss you off don't they.

Now I will be even more adamant about wearing my work gloves.

Take care

Peace
Al

Nope no desk or counter work was available or offered and I asked, I have ran small exhaust and brake shops Im good with customer rapport, good on phones and estimates, I know how to use ALL-DATA, etc.. but everyone wants me to to do the physical stuff, and my doc says no way especially in the cold weather I could damage another finger. Ive got a heads up on a buisness management course in the very near future to bring me up to speed then when I rejoin the work force Ill have a little extra on the resume'. Till then Im sitting tight doing my rehab, but I gotta tell you guys this is MADDENING not being able to work, I have all this time to tinker with the car and stuff but no $$ for any extras, just the bills and Im thankfull for that:nice: