2v To3v Conversion

Discussion in 'SN95 4.6L Mustang Tech' started by shaunspengler, Jun 4, 2012.

1. shaunspengler

shaunspengler Member

Hi i have a 1997 mustang gt and i was wondering if anyone has any advice on a 2v to 3v convertion. I know logan motorsports does a kit and i guess they make it pretty simple to do. If anyone has any suggestions or opions on not doing it let me know because im kind of new to some of this stuff.

2. trinity_gt

trinity_gt Advanced Member

Consider instead bolting on a set of TFS heads on your current shortblock...

3. Mr. Rustypwnz

Mr. Rustypwnz Advanced Member

3v swap is very easy, blow by racing did over 400rwhp n/a! All you need are the heads, intake mani, fuel rail and timing cover, valve covers. You can use whatever 4.6 block you can find. You can also buy an entire 3v engine for around a grand nowadays. Its VERY hard getting 400rwhp out of a n/a 4V! But a 3v can do it more easily. You need to put cam lockers on the phasers so they do not move, the stock 2v computer does not have that capability or wiring. You also need to get the logan motorsports kit you already listed. S197 3v cars go low 12's pretty easily, I drove a bone stock 07 gt to a 13.5 a couple months ago, thats not happening on a stock non-pi gt lol.

Go for it! A 3v swap is way cheaper than a well setup tfs headed 2v, and will make comparable power with just bolt ons/tune.

4. shaunspengler

shaunspengler Member

Thanks man your post really helped. What kind of mods should I do like intake manifold and cams? And I was wondering, I've been ripping apart my car because I don't have a license for 6 momths(3points on my recored=6 month suspention) if the s197 stearing wheel if I use stock airbag will work on my car. I've go the whole interior -the dash and top end of the motor off. Is there any recommendations you'd like to add?

5. ItsonlyA3V

ItsonlyA3V New Member

Here's my Logan swap 3v

Attached Files:

6. 1987stangman

1987stangman Member

See this is the route i want to go just because you do not see a lot of them. Plus its a direct bolt in. Around here i can get a low me 3v cheap. Was that your car in the mag? Or was that just an example of what you have done?

My 2v still has low miles on it so i have some time!