3.55, 3.73, 4.10 Automatic

Xterminator03

Sep 23, 2004
NEW YORK
I have a Stock Automatic 99GT, Well its my wife car she drives it most of the time. Daily Driver.

My rear is whinning some in just gonna get it taken apart and take the time get gears put in.

Some things to factor.

Live in New York City
Automatic
Snows in the Winter.
Daily Driver
Stock
MY wife car.

What do you guys recomend.

• Sponsors (?)

We get hit just about the same when it comes to bad winters, once the mods start you are going to get to the point when you cant drive the car in the snow even if its a little bit, so in that case I would go for broke and get the 4.10's and drive something else in the snow, this last February which I'm sure you can remember how bad it was I only drove my Mustang a total of 45 miles !

I have a 98 gt automatic and just got 4.10's put in on saturday. Its a world of a difference and you wont regret doing it. So far i've had no problem with traction with my 315/40-17 Nitto555 rear tires, which was actually my main concern. But yeah, the car is like a whole new car now.

Dont fear the gear!

4.10s are the obvious choice (thank god I didnt go 3.73), but then you start talking about snow... An auto GT is bad enough in the snow in stock form. Snow driving with 4.10s is a bad idea. Cant you get a winter beater?

Honestly that is my biggest issue. I do have a truck. but if the car will be that bad when some snow falls I will have to drive my wife to and from work.

NOW MY QUESTION, IM GONNA GET GEARS. WILL 3.73 AND 4.10 REALLY MAKE THAT MUCH OF A DIFFERENCE IN THE CONDITIONS? if 3.73 are just as bad then I should just go and get the 4.10.

Yeah, either way is going to suck in the snow, so get the right gear ratio - 4.10s for an auto. No less.

I recommend the SCT Xcal3 or SF3 (same thing really) to go with it. It'll fix your speedo, give you an extra 10 ponies, and give your car a MUCH MUCH MUCH better shift pattern. You can adjust shift firmness for the seasons too.

Gears and tuner are the best mods on my car by a very long way. My old JMS chip (remember them?) had nothing on the SF3 either. The shifting is a million times better with the SF3.

Actually, it isn't too bad in the snow. I've had 4.10s in my car along with every other bolt on available for 4 years now and I never got stuck here in NJ. If you're going up a hill then you will get stuck but otherwise you should be fine. Honestly I didn't think it was as bad as people say it is. It sucks, I'll admit that. However, it isn't impossible especially if you take it slow, give yourself plenty of time, and leave the traction control on. The worst part is that all the slow import cars out there will take advantage and go flying around you...that's the only time they can do that but snow doesn't last forever, lol...

Actually, it isn't too bad in the snow. I've had 4.10s in my car along with every other bolt on available for 4 years now and I never got stuck here in NJ. If you're going up a hill then you will get stuck but otherwise you should be fine. Honestly I didn't think it was as bad as people say it is. It sucks, I'll admit that. However, it isn't impossible especially if you take it slow, give yourself plenty of time, and leave the traction control on. The worst part is that all the slow import cars out there will take advantage and go flying around you...that's the only time they can do that but snow doesn't last forever, lol...

Maybe its because NJ is mostly a flat state, you drive on block away from my house and its hills at every turn, but even if it was not hilly with a lowered Mustang and 4.10s the wheels start to spin just by putting it in drive or just gets hung up on a few inches of snow !

Maybe its because NJ is mostly a flat state, you drive on block away from my house and its hills at every turn, but even if it was not hilly with a lowered Mustang and 4.10s the wheels start to spin just by putting it in drive or just gets hung up on a few inches of snow !
Wow, you got it pretty rough. I guess a second vehicle is definitely on the ticket if you a Mustang out there...

To me its way better to turn thr trac control off... or your bogging down
and loosing control. Thats the first thing I do when on ice or snow.