3.55 gears: what speedo gear to get???

I'm finally getting the stock gears taken out for 3.55 gears along with the bearings. I've looked into the Speed-Cal unit and also found out that total accuracy can also be had if both tranny and axle tooth gears are changed. Well, I'm not going to have my tranny taken out and I've heard that the axle gear is real simple to install. I'm also figuring that I have 2.73 gears, but that won't matter once this is done.

The Speed-Cal unit is nice, but it is overkill for me, I think. From now on, my tires will be 275/40's starting with the next set, so there are no plans ever to change tire size.

If the 23 tooth gear is what I need to be very close to accurate, then that's what I'll do. Will this also correct the odometer readings or will that be off forever? I just don't want to regret doing gears if the trade-off is spending lots of money for accuracy OR racking up imaginary miles.

Thanks. (I've researched as always, but most go with 3.73's. I drive a whole lot of interstate trips, so I need a friendlier gear)

• Sponsors (?)

ya I do alot of interstate too and find my 308s good for the job..2500rpms in 5th at 80mph...I can still light it up at the light s if I want and third gear is alot of fun..you never know how high gas will go..the new gts come with stock 355? or somethin like that..you would regret goin any highr

23 is what I was figuring on. I know some say they get "chewed up" but if it only takes a few minutes to replace AND it's cheap............amen. :)

Any idea how far off I'll be with the number 23.

Also, will this correct my odometer to pretty close?

I'm borrowing a new Mach 1 for a few months and it's got 3.55's. OMG, combined with the DOHC motor it is absolutely awesome. RPM's aren't bad at all.

My in-laws have been transitioning to another house in the area. Due to the major woodworking construction that is planned, my wifes father doesn't have room in the garage for any cars. He baby's the Mach 1 a lot and doesn't want it to sit outside. He's got a couple other cars and they all just take up a lot of space outside. Weeeeeeellllllllllllllllllll...................I've got an extra garage space! :) So I've had the car since April and even so, it only has 1800 miles on it (13 months old now). I got it with a little over 800 miles.

For now, I take it to work once a week and use it on the weekends for shorter trips. I'm sure gonna hate to give it back when the time comes, but by then I'll have done lots of mods on my car: suspension, brakes, D/S, wheels, gears, etc. The Mach 1 has been serious motivation for me to start doing mods quick.