3.55's or 3.73's?

BottleRocket

Dammit, why am I out of washer fluid again???
Founding Member
May 26, 2002
NC
My coupe still has stock 3.08 gears in it and its way too sluggish for what it is. the motor should make at or around 300rwhp and ill be adding a 165 shot on top of that soon. I dont have traction right now (Radial T/A's :rolleyes: ) but i will soon. I need to know what will be better for me with nitrous. can anyone help?

• Sponsors (?)

Gearing..

If you want a good allround ring gearing, Yes, go for
3.73s. I installed 3.73s in combination with my T-5 (2.95 first gear ) and it works just fine. Doing 60Mph at 2000rpm in fifth gear with 225/60-15 tires. The car is so much better to drive in all situations, city, highway and at the track. Install a strong Girdle , and a complete installation kit... GOOD LUCK ! :)

nah,
you did'nt make a mistake. theres nothing wrong with 3.55's on a fox body. It's all around a good street/highway combo. Tha't what I have in my 89 Saleen (factory option over the 3.08's )and I like it, but I'm an old man compared to most of you guys.
NOw back to the thread topic.
The 3.73's are more agreesive and you will feel a bit of a difference if you don't have too many mods. If you do little to no highway driving go with the 3.73's. If you have an automatic go with the 3.73's for sure. all around. Nothing wrong with 4.10's of 4.11's for that matter. Drag racing guys.
If you have 3.08's now and you go up to 3.55's or .73's you will feel a big difference immediately.
Anyone who gos from only one gear ratio like 3.08's to 3.27's, or 3.55's to 3.73's you can tell, but it is not as drastic of a seat-of-thepants feel. it's like only changing down or up to one gear on your mountain bike. If you change a couple of gears on that bike while you are riding, you feel a big difference.

3 cents