3.73 gears in a 1994 cobra?

Jnstang89

Sep 22, 2003
South Florida
I bought some 3.73 gears to put in today and as im doing it i see the old gears already say 3.73 and i was so mad. My car already has em? It doesnt feel like it at all. I used to have a 89 5.0 and it burned thru first and second with 3.73 and my cobra barely chirps second gear. Anyone know whats up with my car. I ran 14.33 with 3.73 x pipe and pullies and timing at 15. Is that good? Anyone have any input at all towards my dilema Feel free to say anything at all. Thanks everyone!!

• Sponsors (?)

Jack up the back, count how many turns the driveshaft spins to every 1 revolution of the rim. Then post back. If you have 373's, the Dshaft shoulds spin about 3 3/4 times ;)

That really sucks. Just count the teeth or do the d/s turn the tire thing to make sure they are 3.73's
If they are, just send those gears to my house since looking at them will probably make you upset. Just trying to help you out. :jester:

Not trying to offend you Jnstang89, but ’94-95 Cobra’s were kinda dogs in stock trip and although your times sound a little slow, they’re still about right. The problem with them is that the crappy F3ZE-CA Cobra cam uses was no hell they’ve got a limp wristed computer that pulls timing and fuel at upper RPM like crazy. That combined with the fact that they’re rather portly compared to a Fox is the reason for their lacklustre performance.

A swap to an earlier fox computer and better cam would really wake your car up. Probably to the tune of 4-6/10ths. :nice:

ok gear banger,my 94 does feel a little doggy compared to my 94 z..now what do I do to it..already have bbk long tubes,h pipe...pullies ram air original 308s gear....wanna kick some ass and love my Cobra

The computer in the 94-95 has gotta go :notnice: I've added just about every bolt on available and although gears was the best mod, the computer upgrade is a very very close second. I did a A9L swap and the difference was night and day. The 94-95 computer pulls timming real bad on hard acceleration and when you shift gears. That combined with a heavier car compared to earlier models is why your acceleration sucks. So you may want to move this mod to the top of your list. :nice:

Yup exactly what greenlantern stated. Don't be disapointed. Your car is still superior to the GT or the '94 Z28 for that matter. It brakes and handles better and is still a "Cobra", but just needs a little help to wring it's power potential out. :nice:

Grn92LX said:
Jack up the back, count how many turns the driveshaft spins to every 1 revolution of the rim. Then post back. If you have 373's, the Dshaft shoulds spin about 3 3/4 times ;)
He took the old ones out and wants to know if they are 3.73s. I'm sure he doesn't want to put them back in just to tell if they were the same as his new ones. :p