3:73 Install??

• Sponsors (?)

I'd get FMS's. They're the same thing as FRPP but labeled differently. Motive's are ok too, but made overseas if that makes a difference to you.

I'm assuming since you're taking the job on yourself that you know what you're doing.. not probably something a person who doesn't feel comfortable with tools should tackle.. do your homework, get new parts (crush sleeves, etc) take your time, work in a clean space, and you'll be good.

sgarlic said:
I'd get FMS's. They're the same thing as FRPP but labeled differently. Motive's are ok too, but made overseas if that makes a difference to you.

I'm assuming since you're taking the job on yourself that you know what you're doing.. not probably something a person who doesn't feel comfortable with tools should tackle.. do your homework, get new parts (crush sleeves, etc) take your time, work in a clean space, and you'll be good.

I've never done anything like this before, but i do know my way around a tool box. I heard that if you don't do it right they'll whine so that's really why i was asking. i don't want to do it wrong

No offence, but you probably shouldn't do it yourself. If you want your rear end to work right and not "sing" then you should take it to a shop. There are specs you need to know and tools you will need that the normal do it yourselfer wont have. You dont want to ruin those nice new gears. And I went with ford racing 3:73's. I had a rear end guy at work install them cause I wanted them perfect. And dont think Im trying to hate on your skills, just trying to help.

I wouldn't recommend you do it either unless you're familiar with shimming gears down to a hundreth of a degree of correctness. If it's correct they'll not only whine but wear down A LOT quicker and will need to be replaced. I had to use a press for my install for the crush sleeve I believe. And of course, the shimming part is not easy.

2.jpg

oh and gear oil smells like some rotten booty

I am wanting to do a gear change and am considering going to the 4.73 gears as well. Any information you can provide about your decision making process would be appreciated. It seems to me that I would get enough torque to feel it, but still be able to do my everyday freeway driving without running too high RPM's. Am I thinking right?????? Thanks.

06silverstangGT said:
I am wanting to do a gear change and am considering going to the 4.73 gears as well. Any information you can provide about your decision making process would be appreciated. It seems to me that I would get enough torque to feel it, but still be able to do my everyday freeway driving without running too high RPM's. Am I thinking right?????? Thanks.
well gears are a torque multiplier... which means the higher the gear number the greater the force you'll have to move your car with. a lot of people who get 3.73 do sometimes regret it and switch to 4.10s. 4.10s are awesome and I love mine. I do interstate driving everyday also. The decision is mostly in how you drive and what your future plans are for your car. If you plan for Forced Induction for your future than you wanna go with 3.73s most likely. When I had my stock gears I use to go 80 mph on the interstate everyday. When I got the 4.10s I started doing 70 mph and got the same gas mileage. Nobody can tell you what gear is right for you, it's all personal preference. I will tell you though if I get on my car a lot the gas goes QUICK.

stang_man_1 said:
Thanks guys. I'll probably have someone do it. Any idea how much it will cost. Would this ratio be the best for me. I do a lot of freeway driving.
I dunno if you seen my previous post, 3.73 are great for freeway driving, but 4.10's can be also.. it's all in how you drive the car.

i got used FRPP 3.73s, did the install going in blind having never done it before, used the old crush sleeve, no special tools were needed, although a set of air tools does help...did the install in 3 hours which included 2 trips to parts store for sockets i didnt have...its not THAT hard to do...if you are mechanically inclined you should be able to get them in just fine and not have them whine...like i said mine were used and i didnt set the backlash with a mic, just by feel and they dont whine, clunk or do anything odd...

Justin03GT said:
i got used FRPP 3.73s, did the install going in blind having never done it before, used the old crush sleeve, no special tools were needed, although a set of air tools does help...did the install in 3 hours which included 2 trips to parts store for sockets i didnt have...its not THAT hard to do...if you are mechanically inclined you should be able to get them in just fine and not have them whine...like i said mine were used and i didnt set the backlash with a mic, just by feel and they dont whine, clunk or do anything odd...
How did you set the preload on the crush sleeve? Did you have an inch pound torque wrench?