3.73 Installation price!

I recently Purchased some 3.73's for my 04 GT and some Under drive pulleys. I was quoted at $600 for the labor. I was wondering if this is a good price. I was told that $300 to $350 should be about right for the Gears, but its $450 at this place..and $150 for the pulleys. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

I recently Purchased some 3.73's for my 04 GT and some Under drive pulleys. I was quoted at $600 for the labor. I was wondering if this is a good price. I was told that $300 to $350 should be about right for the Gears, but its $450 at this place..and $150 for the pulleys. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Depending on the quality of the shop you can expect to pay anywhere from 350-700 for a rear end rebuild. I recently had mine torn apart and rebuilt with an 8.8 rebuild kit, Trac-lok rebuild kit, and new gears and i payed $497 for labor.

I would recommend buying all the needed internals for a rebuild and just hand them the parts.. 600 would be a bit much for labor though imho provided you supply all needed parts.

At least here in South Florida, installing gears seems to be a lost art form. All the "cheap" places dont seem to know how to set them up right.

My technician, Matt, gets about 70% of his gear business from fixing gear jobs other shops are screwing up. I don't know if its like that elsewhere but be careful shopping on price alone. You don't want to pay for the job twice and have it end up costing you more.

We only charge around 320 for gear labor. Add the gears themselves and fluids and were only 499.00 out the door assuming all the bearings are ok. So our pricing is not unreasonable but the job gets done right the first time.

$450 is steep for a gear install with you providing the parts. Shop around as much as possible. I had my 8.8 completely rebuilt with 4.10 gears by the best gear guy in town for $240. Call around or better yet, stop by some the shops in person. Dealing with these guys in person can sometimes work better in your favor than dealing with them over the phone.

@ NASTY04GT...the going price around NJ is approx $400 for the labor. I called several shops and they all quoted that much. I think I only paid about $150-$200 back in 06 when I got the 4.10s on my 03 GT. Kinda sucks...