3:73 or 4:10 gear

gtford86

Feb 26, 2009
Streamwood IL
i am debating in what i should put in my 04 gt. I dont drive to much on high way but when i do its usually and hour and half or so. I font want to kill my gas millage more then it already is. Im also not hardcore drag racing just want a lil speed behind the name

Well i can get a 410 and a install kit from a buddy for cheap. but i could always buy it sell the 410 and buy a 373.So what do you think would be best to do?

thanks

• Sponsors (?)

is it auto or 5 speed? i would go with the 4.10s my buddy has them in his 00gt and he drives alot of interstate on his way to work he mpg didnt drop that much. its just really hard to keep your foot out of it with them.

I'm very, very happy with the 3:73 in my 5 speed, daily driver Mustang...I can't image having anything steeper than that in a car I drove a lot...heck first gear is darn near useless in regular day-to-day driving as it is ;)

i am debating in what i should put in my 04 gt. I dont drive to much on high way but when i do its usually and hour and half or so. I font want to kill my gas millage more then it already is. Im also not hardcore drag racing just want a lil speed behind the name

Well i can get a 410 and a install kit from a buddy for cheap. but i could always buy it sell the 410 and buy a 373.So what do you think would be best to do?

thanks
You sound like you use your car like me. Although I tend to take longer rides on the interstate. Five hundred to 1000 miles each way a couple times a year.
I am satisfied with my 3.73s. Made an improvement in acceleration even the wife noticed. As did the Tillman all out tune. Added about 300 RPM in 5th for the highway but reduced my highway MPG about 10 percent. No MGP change in town if I baby it but that is because I can use 5th at times down to about 35 where as with the 3.31s 40 was the bottom limit. The only minus was in the MPG and reduced highway range. I like everything else about it.

is it auto or 5 speed? i would go with the 4.10s my buddy has them in his 00gt and he drives alot of interstate on his way to work he mpg didnt drop that much. its just really hard to keep your foot out of it with them.

its 5 speed

also im still thinking of what want..even if i decide to go 373 im sure someone will take the 410 off my hands for a good price...

go 4.10, ive only driven my car about 50 miles with 4.10s but in 5th gear it only added about 300 rpms. with 3.27 i was at 1000 at 40 with 4.10s its like 1300 at 40. at 70 its still under 2500. which really doesnt seem that high, my old car and both my moms and sisters car is at 3000 at 80.

Personally, for verts and autos, I'd go 4.10s. For 5-speed coupes, 3.73s. For a PD blower car I'd consider just leaving it at 3.27 (manual/coupe) or going to 3.73 (vert/auto). For centris, 3.73s or 4.10s.

If you plan on keeping the car mostly stock or n/a I'd deffinately go with the 4.10's. They are straight up awesome. Most people will tell you that. But if you get deep into mods, they could easily be your enemy.

3.73's IMO are better as a setup gear. To compliment a blower, or a car with a specific purpose. I've had my 4.10's for a couple years now, and have driven somewhere in the neighborhood of 40k on them. The car is my DD. I've taken it on a 4hr road trip to north carolina, and multiple 8hr trips to upstate new york. They are much better around town than the stockers, and make highway driving alot easier, with only a very minimal drop in MPG on the highway. Around town, MPG got better.

Go with the 4.10's.

I had 3.73s in for 2 years and put 4.10s this year after installing stage II cams. I loved my 3.73s but the 4.10s are even better. If you are going to stay n/a then go 4.10s if you are going to go F/I go with 3.73s.

If you are going F/I or drive alot of highway miles then 3.73's
mite be a better choice.If you go to the track or are staying
N/A than 4.10's would be the best bet.
I had FRPP 3.73's for years and I really liked them because
they were perfect for the street/highway driving.MPG will
be effected some though.Also I recommend getting (FRPP)
Ford Racing ring and pinion.